PDA

View Full Version : Updated Sonic Pictures

usagi
08-24-2002, 03:37 AM
Here is one to start with. look at the electrics ! looks sweet!

tinyrc
08-24-2002, 04:16 AM
Looks like the FETs are wide open and ready for stacking!!! :D

usagi
08-24-2002, 04:29 AM
The same IC Board thats used in the Puchi Maru is used in the Sonic. 1 thur 6 channels are used. This car is going to blow the Micro rs4 out of the water!

tinyrc
08-24-2002, 11:07 AM
The same IC Board thats used in the Puchi Maru is used in the Sonic.

Are you certain? Because the Puchi Maru board doesn't have an Rx crystal as pictured here?

usagi
08-24-2002, 01:00 PM
its mainly the same design. because it will use the same radio system the puchi maru comes with.

donut
08-24-2002, 02:46 PM
What about the batteries? I read they are rated at 270mah. This seems like something that should be considered. Over here, we race 5 minute qualifying heats with an 8 minute main. With a hot motor, the cars going to run out of juice before time's up. Just curious because it's happened to me and I was using 300mah NiCds. The guru's over here don't recommend anything less than 550mah with the local setups. Anybody know if provisions have been made in the design for larger batteries?

usagi
08-24-2002, 03:22 PM
no, they are only using "half cell" bodies..........

tinyrc
08-25-2002, 12:06 AM
donut, that's a really good point. Perhaps this car is so lightweight that it doesn't need as powerful of a motor?

usagi
08-25-2002, 12:20 AM
The forming of this chassy is model digitaized and then storaged on a computer. The proto type chassy is lightweight. But the final production will have "mini-z" type material....( with yokomo you never know until the end) But the "halfcell" concept is the bases of this chassy. Yokomo is already selling these cells in shops now. In oct we should know more. I hope they release this car at tht ime. But like yokomo it might not reach me here in Japan until Dec 2002.

herman
08-25-2002, 11:49 PM
yeah donut is right...

looks like a really good design... but battery size would be something to consider in terms of runtime ... what size is this "half battery"? and how long do they usually run? if they are a special type the dealer could make a killing on batteries alone...

usagi can you post more pics of that body??? what kind of fets are in the original? are they anything like the 3004 fets in kyosho's mini z?

usagi
08-26-2002, 01:20 AM
tinyrc post some pictures of the "halfcells" they are just a "AA" cell what half its size. Run times depends on you style of running.

herman
08-26-2002, 04:16 AM
usagi can you give us an estimate run time? and more pics of the car?

donut
08-26-2002, 04:36 AM
Hi Herman,

Nice to see you in another forum. Before anything, I used the Tripmate at the last race and it ran like a dream. Was TQ of the B-Main and was only using an X-speed and stock electronics -- which may I say is quite an accomplishment for me considering the quality of the competition at CS :). What I lost on the straights I made up on the turns. The result however was a DNF as my car mysteriously ran wild. I didn't know why until someone, I think Charles, pointed out that the green indicator light on my Perfex (Tx) was dimming...arrgh!!! Really felt stupid. Chuck is thinking of getting one and I can't wait to see how it handles in the hands of a driver of Chuck's caliber.

Anyway, back to the Sonic. I checked and there are 1/2AA NiMH batteries with ratings from 500 to 600mAH. I think the stock Yokomo cells are NiCads. I guess it's okay then except that off-the-shelf chargers may be hard to find for 1/2AAs.

Donut

herman
08-26-2002, 05:17 AM
hola donut...

tripmate... eh? tq in b-main eh? hmmm now you got me thinking... man there are so much stuff coming out... just can't wait...

i forget what electronics you use on your tripmate.... now i'm thinking of getting one....

as you know this mini-z thing is my first hand at any r/c stuff... appart from the x-speed can the esc take on hotter motors? i'm thinking it'll all depend on your esc right? so what esc's would you recommend? and which one do you use?

did you use the original body and wheels?

-- back to sonic.... guess you're right about them chargers... what 1/2 aaa batteries did you see that offer 600 mah? don't they have a name for it? i.e. aaaa? i think yokomo will provide chargers for their own batteries... and there are some chargers that are spring loaded which may take them...

donut
08-26-2002, 05:50 AM
Hi Herman,

Used all Kawada except ball diff and wheels. I'll post pics of the setup I used last Saturday in the Kawada section of the forums. ESC is an ES-01 that is rated at 12A max and 4A continues I think. Chuck mentioned some ESC that I can't remember the name of that is similar to an Orion Flash. That thing can handle huge motors. I think he's planning to put 5-cells :D on the TripMate if he decides to get one.

Speaking of batteries, here's a link of NiMH batteries available from Nexcell:

http://www.battery.com.tw/english/spec.htm

You could put 8 1/2AAA cells in a TripMate or Mini-Z! (assuming your ESC can take it). Think the Yokomo charger will work on both NiCads and NiMHs?

Let me know about the Kawada.

Jake

tinyrc
08-26-2002, 08:41 PM
I used the Tripmate at the last race and it ran like a dream. Was TQ of the B-Main

Wow, they let you use a Tripmate in the Mini-Z class? Cool! Congrats on your TQ!

Herman, you can put whatever ESC etc. you want (that will fit) in the Tripmate, and as such you can use as hot of a motor as that ESC can handle!

Hardtrukr
08-29-2002, 06:33 PM
That is a Mini-Z ball diff., wheels, tires, and knuckles!

usagi
08-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Can we keep this a Yokomothread PLEASE!

PorscheGuy964
09-28-2002, 04:05 AM
I like that body.....ALOT....

Where do you put the batts?

usagi
09-28-2002, 09:15 AM
The bodies are nice, what you going to see soon are a bunch new styles. The batteries are going to sit under the electronic.

OverLord
12-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Usagi,

Does the motor come out? From the pic, it looks like the motor is hardwired in. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Draconious
12-15-2002, 03:41 PM
I will guess and say 2/3 AAA size cells... wich I can get if needed bulk style, along with AAA and 1/3 AAA ;)