PDA

View Full Version : Break in That new Motor

nivirt
08-18-2002, 10:00 AM
I've seen some posts regarding failures with newly purchases high output motors. Maybe your expecting too much from it too soon!
Remember, this is a brand new item that was probably only tested at the fastory and still has yet, to seat in.
I make it a habit of running my new motors in with no gears for a couple of charges and then, put the gears and axle on for a couple of more then, it's ready to go.
I have noticed better performance on my newer motors that I received from Kyle when I do this vs, when I don't.
I know it ain't no Mustang Cobra, straight off the showroom floor but, would you go and make a pass with this new car at the drag strip, straight from the dealership, shoot no! These motor also have bearing surfaces and bushes that haven't been broken in yet. Try it and see if it doesn't make a difference for you!

tinyrc
08-18-2002, 01:24 PM
nivirt, this is a really good point. What break in process do you use for BC-Gs?

datamonster
08-18-2002, 06:59 PM
"I make it a habit of running my new motors in with no gears for a couple of charges and then, put the gears and axle on for a couple of more then, it's ready to go."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think that his break process is the one that he stated in his post.

payaso
08-28-2002, 02:27 PM
I think that tinyrc understood that's what he's saying. I think what tinyrc is asking is how does he break in the car (chassis) itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong

silla

tinyrc
08-29-2002, 01:20 AM
Actually no, datamonster pointed out to me that I hadn't noticed that the original message in fact already answered my question!

MTL
08-30-2002, 01:19 PM
hmmm ive also read about how you could put your car upside down and just punch the gas till it runs out of juice....and then just recharge and your car will run smoother...
im not sure if that helps, but i do it if i remember :D

Redfire
08-30-2002, 11:54 PM
ooooooooo......... great idea! ill do that to ALL my new motors! :cool:

blacksabbath070
08-31-2002, 03:33 PM
i tryed teh beak in process on my 3.0 taht i thought had a defect adn now its extremely fast it runs so fast it tips over when i turn all the time thanks for teh helpful advice

MTL
09-01-2002, 01:22 AM
hmm...i keep hearing about cars flipping over...is that really bad to have a fast engine? or is it just the tires and suspension that need to be upgraded?

heh add a rollcage in your car :p

Redfire
09-01-2002, 10:48 AM
hahaha.......... add two circles to your car, so that if it flips, itll flip ALL the way over till it righted itself!
(that may not be such a bad idea....):D

MTL
09-01-2002, 09:00 PM
haha u could add those ummm im not sure what they are called, but they are used to fasten down suitcases and boxes on top of your car and such..that would look better than a half circles :D

hmm not a bad idea actually...hmm...thinking....thinking..

Ghost of Akina
09-10-2002, 08:51 PM
hey will the process work with a 3.8 motor because i plan to get one is it a good idea or should i just get a 3.0 or 2.6?

MTL
09-11-2002, 06:54 PM
if you can watch something moving blazingly fast, then get a 3.8...
but 3.0 is good enough to keep your eyes uncrossed :D

[tT]Skyline
09-17-2002, 04:12 PM
HOLD UP!

wait a tic... running a new motor in without an axle... wouldn't that take a LONG long time? you would think that the mottor would heat up a bit too much as well. cause the mottor is reving up that high withought any leway. I bet I'm wrong... but it just doens't make sense to me.

QFM Racing
09-18-2002, 01:17 AM
Breaking in your motor is definitely the way to go. YOu definitely wanna smooth out your shaft and all the parts that make contact with each other in there. Remove the axles to eliminate resistance.

JimBob
09-22-2002, 09:43 AM
Can you get a oil or something to reduce the friction between the car? Ie can u get really small bearings or something?