PDA

View Full Version : Battery Help needed:(

BobbyDigital
01-02-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm stoked!
I took irc's great advice and ordered my DRR today! 59.99 us..

I have a few questions about batteries.. I was looking at the rechargable Rayovak Nickel Metal Hydride and Alkilyne batteries plus a charger for them.. Is this a good solution for the DRR? If so how many triple AAA's should I buy to make a 7.2 pack?

As well which ones should I get Nikel Metal Hydride or Alkilyne?

If this is not a good solution could someone please give me some suggestions?

Thanks everyone..cheers

Krabill
01-02-2003, 10:44 PM
I've got one on order too, I can't wait for it to get here.

From what I've read, the NiMH are going to have a better "punch" than Alkalines. They can flow more current faster and longer than Alkalines will. I went to Walmart and bought the Rayovac 700 mah AAA NiMH's and a charger to go w/ them. You will need 6 batteries to make 7.2V. (6 x 1.2V each = 7.2V total) I bought 3 packs of 4, so I will have 2 sets of 6 batteries.

Hope that helps some. Mine better hurry up and get here, I can't stand waiting for very long ;)

BobbyDigital
01-02-2003, 10:48 PM
wicked thanks:) that's such a cheap setup compared to my 10th scale gear.. I can't wait for mine either.. It's going to be a blast!
Wally*Mart is going to be selling me batts and charger tomarrow!

Thanks for the info!...cheers

irc
01-02-2003, 11:04 PM
The problem is the car is only set up to hold 4 AAA. So how will you charge the 6 batteries seperatly and then install them all in the car? You should buy a pre mail 6 cell pack and a good charger. Or build your own pack out of 6- AAA and get a good charger.

Krabill
01-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I hear ya about the cost of these little boogers. I just recently bought 4 bit clones & built a little track, so I'm officially hooked now. I'm going to have less $$ in all my micro's and this DRR combined than I had in just the radio gear for my old 1:10 :D The aftermarket shocks alone for my 1:10 cost more than this DRR is costing me. And that includes the 180 motor I ordered with it. :D:D

Krabill
01-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by irc
The problem is the car is only set up to hold 4 AAA. So how will you charge the 6 batteries seperatly and then install them all in the car? You should buy a pre mail 6 cell pack and a good charger. Or build your own pack out of 6- AAA and get a good charger.

I'm going to build a 6 AAA pack myself out of the Rayovacs. I'll let you know how it comes out when the car finally gets here.

irc
01-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Cool , It should work good. What are you going to charge it with?

BobbyDigital
01-03-2003, 12:10 AM
I was thinking that I could use the regular rayovack charger bought at walmart for a week or two..
Then upgrade to a better faster charger for the two AAA Rayovack NIMH packs I'll have.
Anyone have any suggestions for a charger that has variable charging amps and is capable of charging NIMH's?(preferably a bang for buck charger)
While on the charging amps subject.. How many amps I should charge these Rayovack NIMH's at?

Would the Dynamite 7.2 batter holder hold 6 AAA's? If not I guess my dremel has some work for it already!

I did order a graphite upper deck and bearings for my car when I ordered it! I will play with it stock for a couple days first, that way I'll notice the difference the bearings make:)

Cheers

Hey irc.. can you post a link to these bats and charger you are suggesting? thanks again

irc
01-03-2003, 01:42 AM
That sounds like a good plan. The battery pack I use can be found at the IRC site in the Aktiv page. Tiny has a good low dollar charger for sale on this site made by Eagle. I use this charger to charge my Mini X packs at 1amp with good luck.

dtmracer
01-03-2003, 01:43 AM
for batteries, nicd will have greater power right after you charged them, more volts. nimh will give a little lower volts after a charge but will stay at that voltage more steadily than that of a nicd. so nimh is the better choice. also, if you dont want to solder your aaa batteries together, instead of dremeling the existing 4 cell hook up(might be kinda hard) take a trip down to radio shack and get some aaa battery holders. i think you would have to get a 4 cell rig and a 2 cell rig and rig them together. not hard.

BobbyDigital
01-03-2003, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the info irc.. That is about the price range I was looking for!

DTM racer: Those battery holders.. Thanks for the perfect solution! How do you hold them down in the DRR? I won't have my car until next Friday so I don't have any ideas yet.. Damn shipping..lol.

Cheers...

Krabill
01-03-2003, 08:42 AM
The battery holders only come in 2-3-4-8 configurations. Instead of a 4-2 setup, I was thinking of getting (2) 3 battery holders and hooking them together if I can't think of how to make my own by the time I want to use it.

I too am going to run mine stock for a little while before running it 7.2, so I will have a little time to try to come up with a better solution, but I think a 3 & 3 setup will work pretty good for the money. As far as holding it in place, I'm thinking velcro now, but I might change my mind by the time I get around to actually making something.

Siress
01-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey man, I just found your thread while look for a artical I wrote a while back on how to make a rayovak battery pack, if anyone knows where it is please let me know at Siress@aol.com. I would get a Prophet Charger (http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=DYN4036) for $40 bucks. It will charge at 1 amp-2amp's-and 4amp's, 1 is the highest at which these batteries should be charged at. You will also need to get a battery plug set for your batteries, take the left over female end and solder the wires to a male tamaya plug so that you can connect the charger to the batteries. You can also use this charger for your bigger car batteries also.

Siress
01-04-2003, 07:39 PM
BTW, dont charge these batteries more than 2 times a day

Spongebob
04-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Here's an idea. I just went down to Radioshack and got this holder. When I get time, I'll put it in and we'll see how it goes. Here's the link. (http://www.geocities.com/falcon_bomber/rocket_racer_mods.html) skip step 3 if you get the wired version from rs.

Spongebob
04-15-2003, 04:46 PM
I added the battery expansion, and it works great! I have so much speed, the car does a burnout if I hit full speed in the beggining. It is great!

Nitroboy543
07-19-2003, 09:45 AM
How about this, i took 6 AAA cells, Shoe gooed them together like a sub c race pack. Then i made my own battery bars out of short pices of wire, coated in solder. Then i took the old battery holder in, and put some servo tape in. I plopped my pack in there and wallah, 6 cell DRR. Im also running a 180 stock motor with around 30mph speed, with the largest pinioni could find( 13t) Ill post pics soon:)