PDA

View Full Version : Epoch Track

fovea3d
01-02-2003, 12:42 PM
This is my new track dedicated to Epochs. I had this idea when I found a plywood board the size of a door. It can be stored vertically against a wall and is very light.
Border walls are made of high density styrofoam (polystyrene) roads are covered with matt black spraypaint, "lawn" areas are made of thick green carpet wich makes you slow down to drive to the track again.
The road markings are made with electrical tape.
Once I was used with this narrow track, I could make a lap in 2.9 sec wich is 150mph scale speed with a spec 1 Epoch. Done in one evening, I still need to make barriers so it is impossible to shortcut through the lawn :D

KAIKS
01-02-2003, 03:49 PM
nice looking track
are the dotted lines made from electric tape to?

fovea3d
01-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Thank you KAIKS. Yes, a single line was cut in place with a cardboard cutter and one of each two pieces removed then placed on another part of the track. I was surprised how easy and fast it was making it.

irc
01-02-2003, 05:21 PM
WOW! That is so cool! What is the length and width of the board and how wide are your lanes? will the cars reach top speed in the strights.

ZipZap "SS"
01-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Is it possible to walk out at all, or do you have good traction? Sweet looking set-up by the way!

Chris

fovea3d
01-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Its the size of a standard door: 90"x35". The lanes are 10" wide wich represents the width of a small street.
My best car can almost reach top speed. I only have to stop the throttle when entering a curve and give full throttle in the middle of the curve. This track is more of a precision driving challenge and real fun when 3 cars are running the same time: 2 cars can drive side by side, but 3 together won't pass the next curve :D :D :D I also like the way the tires squeal when cornering at full speed :D

fovea3d
01-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Zipzap, you mean to fall down the board or to drive on the carpet parts? I felt once when the car took off hitting the "lawn" at the end of one straight, thanks the Epochs are solid I broke nothing.
The walls are 1" in height so it cannot happen often.
Traction is very very good, sometimes the cars roll over when the inside wheels are on the green, but the matt paint also eats the tires pretty fast.

fovea3d
01-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Check this out if you want to see a lap.
The videos are not so good especially the second one.
I had to stick a webcam on a baseball cap so its a driver point of view :D
http://www.fovea3d.dynu.com/public/Epoch%20Oval%2002.AVI
http://www.fovea3d.dynu.com/public/Epoch%20Oval%2005.AVI
Make sure you have the DIVX codecs ;)