PDA

View Full Version : Different Motor?!

k3mic
01-01-2003, 08:11 PM
I was digging in some of my old slot car stuff and i found a motor that looks exactly like my Epoch's motor. Before i try it i want to now if it is worth it. Which is better for this kind of motor?

Big Magnets with small armature or small magnets with big armature?

In this pic the stock epoch motor is on the left
The other motor i found is on the right

irc
01-01-2003, 10:33 PM
I have been thinking about trying a few slot car motors. Go for it and let us know what you find!

binaryterror
01-02-2003, 09:43 PM
I think (may be wrong) but the bigger armature should spin faster, once it gets momentum, but would have less torque provided by the magnets.

irc
01-02-2003, 10:00 PM
I think the biggest downfall of the Epoch is the motor will not allow the car to roll well when you let off the throttle and that causes the car to spin out. I turn the throttle adjustment up so the car will roll better in neutral. This has helped my driving alott. If you find another motor with less drag please let me know.

slotsurfer
01-02-2003, 11:13 PM
I don't own a Epoch yet but I was surfing around this part of tiny r/c .I do know slot cars that were my name slotsurfer came from.
I would not use the motor on the right it is a cheap tyco can motor used in the HP7 slotcar.Their is a company called scaleauto that make high performance can motor the same as the can motor in the epoch I have used this one personally 145 - SRT / Turbo "High Power©" Can Motor (http://www.scaleauto.com/bsrt/arm_prod.htm) cost $10.00 very fast motor and I think the epoch could handle this one. The least amount of voltage I have run this motor at was about 8 VDC.The stock Epoch I have run at 6 VDC I own a MG variable power supply.Now Gary Beedle who own Scale auto is one of the finest armature builder around he make 4 really hot can motors BSRT "Spud Power©" Can Motors (http://www.scaleauto.com/bsrt/spud_mot.htm) Cost $28.00 each I really dont think the epoch could handle this because we usally ran this type of arm at about 22 VDC 10 amps per lane.We still would burn the motors up if you ran your car to long. You can buy the standard motor for $4.00 Model #8807 (http://www.scaleauto.com/tomy/parts_t.htm) Have fun don't smoke your motor:D

irc
01-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Thanks Slotsurfer, Do you think the Epoch motor is the same as the 145 SRT you talking about or do you think the 145 SRT is higher power?

irc
01-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Wow I just realized Scale Auto is in Redmond, Wa. I grew up there and it's only an hour away from my shop. I will contact them to see if they would do some testing with the Epoch and a few diffrent motors.

binaryterror
01-03-2003, 06:15 AM
Then maybe you can sell them on your website!!!!

I used to race slot cars, but i did it primarily with the stock parma class. (can style dinky motors)

slotsurfer
01-04-2003, 12:04 AM
The 145 is a hotter motor than the epoch.The epoch motor is the same as the 8807 tomy turbo motor.It sound like IRC has it by living near scale auto.One thing you could try is breaking the motors in and oiling the main oilite bearing.Or check with Gary beedle and see if he has any precision ball bearings that will fit the can .IRC you never know maybe you could get Gary to build you a special motor to fit the epoch with the better endbell that the Bsrt Spud can motors have.This might help with drag problem.
Have fun a am glad I could help you guys out.

irc
01-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Thanks again Slotsurfer, I hope Scale Auto will be into finding or building a mod motor for the Epoch. Do you plan on getting an Epoch? It would be cool to have someone with your knowledge help us out modding these things.

k3mic
01-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Wow thanks every one i will let u know how the motor works!

ag04
01-14-2003, 09:40 PM
very interesting topic, hmm maybe there could be a turbo system devised to handle hotter motors like in the miniz. My epoch speed racer set is shipping out today (hopefully) and should get here early next week. then I could go to my lhs and see if they can order me one of those hotter motors. in the mean time, I'm trying to see if a conversion could be made for a ball diff on the epoch. thanks for the info guys, slotsurfer: we really need a knowledgable guy like you help us with mods and keep us from burning a hole in our pockets from mods gone wrong.

ag04

binaryterror
01-15-2003, 06:02 AM
Not to stop you or be mean, but a ball diff for the Epoch would be SUPER tiny. Good luck and keep us updated.

I also should have the Speed Racer set today...

ag04
01-15-2003, 03:35 PM
I slept on it, and have the perfect idea for a ball diff. I'll let you guys know if it's a sucess, in the mean while, is there any thing that I can do to replace the rear pod on the spec 1 if it might break? I'm thinking just using a machine screw to attach it.

I was looking at the spec 2 and spec 1 chassis the other day and I think that it is possible to make a conversion by adapting the spec 1 chassis to accept the spec 2 pod. that would provide adjustablility when it comes to wheelbase so different bodies could be fitted.

I never the knew that the epoch was just under 4 inches in length, I was thinking maybe 4 or 5....now I got a bunch of ideas for my new epoch comming the 21st (just now notified by the store that I bought it from).

ag04