PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in motor

steve1970
12-29-2002, 08:46 AM
Okay, totally noob question...what do you have to do to break in the motor on a DRR? I have one on order (supposed to be here on Friday!!!) and my main experience with r/c at this point is with bits. How do you break in the motor?

Thanks!

Siress
12-30-2002, 02:28 AM
get a mRS4 motor first to replace the stock one. Then get a cup full of water and dip the motor down in the water then connect a battery pack directly to the motor. when the water turns black take the motor out and disconnect the batteries. Shoot some buggy blast on the end bell then put some bearing oil over both exposed ends of the cam shaft and a little on each brush. volia.

Scar
12-31-2002, 09:35 AM
Water dipping works.. BUT ther is a 90% chaance you will kill your moto r if you dont know what you are doing.

Get a can of motor blast from your local hobby store and run your motor at 1/4 throttle after spraying a little in there. Then Spray it again and 1/4 throttle for about 10 mins. The Brushs will be good to go after that.

Siress
12-31-2002, 10:01 PM
dont forget the oil

TITan
01-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Don't oil the brushes!!! You nead to dry the brushes (a brush can take quite a bit of water) then put a drop of "com drops" on the com.

fastboy
01-13-2003, 02:29 PM
sirus why is it everything you tell someone to do is wrong?...do you set out to deliberatly ruin peoples fun or is it just a pure lack of knowledge??
if its the latter then please dont give answers to peoples questions when you are not sure,i know you are probably trying to help but unfortunately your not.
oil the brushes you say....hmm,best way i know to ruin a motor.

ModemJunki
01-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Let's not assume Siress meant "oil the brushes". Maybe he meant "Oil the bushings". Whatever...:confused:

Don't water dip the stock motor. It's sealed. :eek: You can't squirt Motor Blast or anything in there. If you soak it in water, the water won't have anywhere to go after it gets into the bushings, and you will have to spend more money on a motor.

Just run the car easy for the first 10 minutes, then let 'er rip. Run a set of alkalines through it, then after you have used up the first battery pack, put a single drop of light oil on the bushing at one end of the motor, spin in by hand a little, and paper-towel up the extra oil. Do the same on the other side.

And have fun, isn't that what this is all about?

You know, I have work to do, but my McLaren sitting here on my desk is just begging for a run through the house....

(edited 'cause ModemJunki kept spelling "bushing" as "busing")

ag04
01-13-2003, 08:42 PM
I might have to disagree with you modemjunki, I water dipped the stock motor and it runs 1/3 faster than it used to. I just dried it off with a hair dryer really well, and oiled the bushings. I'm very happy with it, what exactly do you mean by "sealed"? because there are holes in the motorcase for the screws, the water could drain out of there.

ag04

ModemJunki
01-13-2003, 09:10 PM
"Sealed" as in "no disassemble, no service, no rebuild".

I did not do the water dip, and my cars also run noticeably faster after break-in. In fact, it wasn't until after the first break-in pack/cool down/tweak/run again that I noticed how weak the stock diff is. Once broken in, the motor overpowers the diff pretty easily.

I think we all agree that a break in for the motor is needed, what we don't all agree on is the "How" :D

I just don't think doing a water dip on the stock motor (especially if it's the only one you've got) is a good idea. If it was rebuildable, maybe I'd try it. I just don't like the idea of not being able to examine the comm and brushes after doing a water dip, and getting the bushings completely dry and then re-oiled.

I think for a noob the dry break in is the easiest, and least likely to cause a fatal mistake to the motor.:)

I also think that either method will work, and that one or the other should be done to get the most life out of the motor.

But what's most important here is that this is my opinion, I'm no expert, just an old fart :D (oop, can we say that in here?)

Siress
01-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Of course I ment brushings.....I never used my stock motor so everything I am refering to is my mRS4 motor which does disassemble. After I water dipped my motor and broke it in, I shoot it with buggy blast and place a drop of bearing oil at each end of the cam shaft where it extends out of the motor before each race.

TITan
01-13-2003, 11:52 PM
1 thing I forgot. When you do a "water dip" run in always use destilaited (sp ?) water! Normal water is a litle corosive for the com and conducts electrisity.

ag04
01-14-2003, 07:24 AM
I just tried the water dipping, because I was planning on getting a new motor so what do I have to lose? but, alas I haven't got a chance to go to the hobbyshop and get one. thanks for the info modemjunki, I really appreciate the clarification that you have given me on the word, "sealed".

ag04