PDA

View Full Version : New Update On Booster With Hard Antenna !!! Now Up To 50ft!!!

infinite
08-08-2002, 07:22 PM
hey everyone,

i just soldered the antenna wire to the retractable antenna and i replaced the old antenna on my car with cat5 wire from left over telephone wire that you run along the walls.

now i get like 50ft i'm thinking.. i was on the 3rd floor of my house i sent my bro to the basement so i'm thinking that's like around 50ft and the signal was still going strong.!!!!

to put the antenna, in i clipped a few pieces of plastic off. the antenna i got from a local electronics store and it cost 1$ and the wire was free :D

here's a pic.

tinyrc
08-08-2002, 07:24 PM
Nice - 50' through solid objects too - you should try it in a wide open area, you'll probably get even more (not that you'd be able to see it that far away! :D).

ylexot
08-09-2002, 06:53 AM
How long is the antenna? This is the next step for my booster. I tried putting a longer wire on the remote, but that was a PITA and it didn't seem to help much. :(

tinyrc
08-09-2002, 11:02 AM
Idea: has anyone replaced the crystals in the 4ch to see if you can for example make one that will let you control your 49MHz cars?

infinite
08-09-2002, 02:55 PM
well the antenna when full retracted is about 1 1/2 ft maybe a little bit longer..

i haven't tried to change the crystals, but my brother said that maybe if you take off teh other crystals that the range might be alittle better. but i guess that kinda defeats the purpose of a multi channel remote.

dumboi07
08-09-2002, 08:54 PM
how did you secure your antenna in place? and did you remove your existing antenna? if so, how?

Just in case you're wondering, im not new to bits, just to the forum.

infinite
08-10-2002, 01:04 AM
well i had to cut a bit of the plastic off of the remote, after that it sat quite nicely in the original hole, and the metal plate that was originally in the remote is actually holding the antenna in place. You can see it if you look closely.. it's the metal with a bit of red on it.

i just cut the original atenna off with a pair of wire cutters. and then unscrewed the wheel off the back and cut off the end.

then i secured the antenna wire to the retractable antenna with solder.

dumboi07
08-10-2002, 04:21 AM
Huh? i dont get it... so how is the antenna stuck to the metal plate? if you pull the antenna too hard, wont it come out? or does the plastic secure it in place? :confused:

infinite
08-11-2002, 12:05 AM
the hole that is originally there was just the right size for the antenna i bought and if you look closely the antenna bottom is kinda in a "L" shape. so that itself prevents the antenna from pulling out. but the metal plate that was in the remote in the first place is hold the retractable antenna down.

if you really still don't understand what i'm saying i'll take my remote apart and try to post some more pictures pointing it out to you.

dumboi07
08-12-2002, 03:08 AM
Hehe... thanks in advance, hence the name, dumboi hehe ok.
im dum ya so pleace could you do that? :D cause im still :confused: . thanks again

infinite
08-12-2002, 02:48 PM
ok here is another picture of the inside of my remote.. the little "L" shaped metal piece on the table is the piece of metal holding down the antenna.

and the long piece of metal attached to the antenna came with the antenna.

dumboi07
08-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks!

sneuburg
08-12-2002, 04:08 PM
Where did you get the antenna? Radio Shack? And what was the part number if you still have that info. This looks like a great mod! Thanks for sharing it!

infinite
08-12-2002, 05:07 PM
nope i didn't pick up the antenna at Radioshack. i bought the antenna at a local electronics store by my house called Active Surplus. For those that live in Toronto, it's on Queen St. and it only cost me $1....:D

Nitrolio
08-18-2003, 02:07 PM
where exactly is the cat5 wire at? i see a stck antenna. i suck sorry

DriveWRX
08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Hey Nitrolio, no prob... The Cat5 is on the car, replaces the original.

BTW, infinite, how long is the antenna on the car? :confused:

Nitrolio
08-24-2003, 11:39 AM
oh ok, i thought you was doing something with the antenna on the controller, thanks for the tip