PDA

View Full Version : Scale track and scenery for DigiQ??

Adam
12-09-2002, 10:18 PM
Hey everybody, I am counting on your combined experiences to help me out here. I want to build a track with realistic scenery for my DigiQs, The cars are actually Super Deformed, That is what is causing me to freak out. What scale scenery is best suited to these? And does anyone have any details on how to make realistic landscapes(hills,rocks,tunnels)? I know they can be made of "Spray Foam??", Can anyone give me more details on what this is and how to use it, Also my experience with styrofoam has shown if you spray it with paint it desolves, So how do you paint it? I need all the info I can get on this.If I were to use model train scenery and such, Which scale do I use, Please be specific and list it by size (1/XX) and (HO, N, T, ect.) I only intend to spend about $150 so give me cheap But high quality ideas. I know I can count on you guys!:D Thanks in advance for your help!

vdo_game_junkie
12-10-2002, 05:33 PM
I believe HO scale is the closest. I've never used spray foam before so I don't know about that. But if you want to spray paint syrofoam, spray it first with Super77 (spray glue).

Adam
12-10-2002, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the painting tip. I have desighned many tracks but I have never did the scenery stuff. The snow track pictured at the Admirals Lair is what inspired me.

Rex Racer
12-11-2002, 07:01 AM
It was my understanding that HO scale was closest for bit cars, zipzaps, digis, etc.

I may be wrong.

-Rex Racer

Adam
12-15-2002, 07:41 PM
Istill need to know what to use to make a good track surface (for Digiqs) It cant be fabric or anything rough, But it needs to be flexible and easy to work with, also I would like it to be very durable. I am intending on making a track with bumps, hills overpasses and jumps, mabey even slightly banked curves. I need the track material to be at least 8 by 4 feet, that way I can cut the whole track out and not have any seams except at the overpass. I will be building my track on plywood, unless someone knows something cheaper that is sturdy enough to support the scenery and be moveable. I am using this track as a model, so you all can have some idea of what I need info on. I am open to all suggestions as long as they dont require much cash- I want to complete this for less than $200. Please post any tips. Thanks You Guys!:D P.S. Thjis track was made by djini_hades@hotmail.com, You can see more pics at The Admiral's Lair.

Adam
12-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Come on, Somebody MUST have some info on this. Post some replies, use your imagination. I am open to all suggestions.

Adam
12-19-2002, 02:03 AM
Hey, I know someone else has to have built a track for DigiQs. I need tips and I need them fast. I cant start on my track until I know what materials work for DigiQs. Keep in mind I dont want a flat race track. I want something similar to what I posted above. Come on guys, I know someone has some ideas, so post em.:cool:

bagelbm
12-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Well I'm guessing that track cost about $50 to make, so you could easily do it with what you're willing to spend.

Here's my guess of what they made that track of.

3/4" thick sheet of some kind of sturdy wood.

A few cans of spray foam which is pretty cheap, and comes with a lot of foam. I once made a warhammer [ table top board-style-game, with collectable / paintable figures/armys, hard to explain] .

Sorry for getting off track. I once made a warhammer playing board with some molded hills and didn't even use one spray can worth.

Then he spray painted the foam, and stuck in some plastic trees. You can get a bag of these tree's at a modelling or art store for a few dollars.

Pretty much , the spray foam and spray paint was probably 20-30$. The tree's 5-7$. And the board [ if he didn't already have it] 10-20$.

The catch? Hours of molding and designing.

Adam
12-21-2002, 12:56 PM
I have talked to the guys who built the track I have pictured and it is a$800 track. They used plaster and soid water and some other materials in this that I dont understand. I had the same idea as you, $50, But when I found out what their track is made from I see why it was so expensive. They went into major details. The problem with the spray foam is even after it is formed and stuff, it still wont make a good road surface for a DigiQ. I need to know a good type of material to lay into the foam hills as a road surface. Youhave helped me decide about the spray foam, I didnt know to go that way or to go with tha plaster, But if it is chaeper and look good I will use it. Thanks for the advice, now if you can figure out what would be cheap to make the road surface out of and it would need to be fairly large so I dont have tons of gaps in the track where the peices meet. Do you own ant DigiQs? They dont work like bits or something so the surface is really important. Let me know if you have more info I can use. Do you have any pics of the Warhammer table, I would like to see it for refrence on the spray foam idea.

bagelbm
12-22-2002, 08:12 AM
Well sorry for the mis-pricing, but I just figured they made it of solid spray foam.

$800? heh. a bit..muuch.

Well the warhammer table was maybe 3 feet wide and 4 feet long, and cost about 20 dollars to make. It only took 1 can of spray foam [ not many mountains] , I few tubes of paint, and I already had the wood.

I'll try to get some pics up today or tomorrow, It wasn't finished but actually pretty nice looking.

bagelbm
12-22-2002, 08:14 AM
Oh and about your spray foam question, you pretty much just spray it, and mold it [ with gloves or something similar].