PDA

View Full Version : Mini-X electronics test fit.

W-tone
07-30-2002, 02:34 PM
Here is a pic of my mini-X with Hitec Gem receiver, supertec micro servo and GWS ESC.
Only bummer is that the esc only does 6-cells.

The Thunderer
07-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Does all that fit under a body shell?

tinyrc
07-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Only bummer is that the esc only does 6-cells.

Only 6? How many do you plan on using?! If those electronics perform anything like the Mini-X electronics, then you should find that 6 cells is plenty! :D They look good though - are those thick wires stock or did you replace them?

W-tone
07-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Yup.. they fit under the shell.
The wires just need to be shortened and soldered.
And yes.. those are the original wires on the GS400 esc. I don't think the motor wires will fit, so I'll probaply have to downgrade them.
I was saying "only 6" as in "not 4"
The esc can handle 6-10.
Hmm 8 cells.... :D
They should be somewhat like the mini-x electronics, the esc is rated for 15A continuous.

I will probaply graft on 2 battery holders as I do not have a NiMh capable charger for battery packs.

tinyrc
07-31-2002, 12:00 AM
Oh, you mean a minimum of 6 cells - cool! You should go for the 8-cell mod, you wouldn't need to make any mods to the chassis, just create your own 8-cell pack that is like the 6-cell pack but two 2x2 squares instead of 2 pyramids of 3!

irc
07-31-2002, 12:51 AM
8 cells! That sounds like fun good thing the motors are inexspensive. It may work for short runs but I think the motor would get so hot it might melt the chassis. But try it and let us know!

W-tone
08-01-2002, 02:25 PM
6 individual cell mod.

I grafted on 2 battery holders so I can use individual cells.
It's a "whole lot a servo tape" kind of a mod :)
The wires are somewhat trimmed to correct legths, the pink is going to be removed all together and the spring slodered directly to the ESC.
The battery holders are not wired yet (that will be on the agenda at work tomorrow ;) )
Body is painted and is drying, might be dud though.. the window masks leak?!!

tinyrc
08-01-2002, 04:05 PM
Cool mod W-tone! What kind of job do you have where you get to work on your Mini-Z at work!?

W-tone
08-02-2002, 12:40 AM
Well I work in R&D of an electronics company and I'm quitting the job in a week, so I've cleared all work-related projects from my desk. I still have to show up, so why not have fun?

part4a
08-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Hi W-Tone

I am thinking about getting the mini-x.

1. Can you let me know how you changed the connections to incorporate two battery holders as I am not much good at electronics. This means I won't need to buy/make 6 cell packs.

2. You mentioned you weren't entirely happy with the mini-x - has this changed?

Thanks

usagi
08-08-2002, 09:34 AM
These are not popular here in Japan..........
but I want to add this to my collection of mini type cars.

was ist los?
08-20-2002, 01:18 AM
i have never seen that receiver. where did you get it and what are its specs?

usagi
08-20-2002, 01:44 AM
What GWS ESC are you using? is it reverse?

Strider-
09-09-2002, 06:23 PM
Usagi how are the prices in Japan? My brother is in Japan right now for an exchange student program and if some mini-z parts are cheaper there, i might ask him to get some......

W-tone
11-16-2002, 04:06 PM
Hi folks.. haven't been to this forum in a while.. sorry for the delay :)

part4a:
1. I cut the battery springs that connect the cells at the rear of the car and wired the battery holder in between the 2 original batteries.
2. No, not really but I haven't had time or money to really try and change it.
I need a new esc and possibly a motor to really find out the potential this little car holds (if any:) )

was ist los:
The Rx is a Hitec Gem series 2ch micro receiver (AM27) I picked up at my LSH.
Seems very similar in appearance to a Hitec shredder I've seen used a lot.

usagi:
I think it is GS400, it's meant for aeroplanes and is supposed to have brakes, not reverse. I haven't been able to find any brakes as the mini-X skids to a halt the instant I lift the throttle.

usagi
11-16-2002, 09:20 PM
I thought it was a GWS speed contrl without rev. I thought maybe you were using one with rev. Thanks. I going to get a SPY from novak instead. They are cheap and good.