PDA

View Full Version : 6 cell mod

e_lm_70
11-27-2002, 05:04 AM
Hi,

I was having 2 spare cell for my Epochs.

So I found a nice place for put in the two extra cell on a already 4 cell Epoch.

The result is impressive !

The only disadvantage is thatb now it is no more possible to charge the car with the standard charger :(

Here are the result on my speed checker:

7km/h iRacer
9km/h Bit-Char-G booster 3.0 Fast gear.
12km/h Digi-Q
17km/h Mini-Z stock
17km/h Epoch 4 cell
22km/h Mini-Z 9T pinion
24km/h Mini-Z 9T pinion Turbo (stock motor)
26km/h Epoch 6 cell
28km/h MiniZ F1 X-Speed 9T pinion

With a better gear my Epoch will be able to compete with a Mini-Z with X-Speed.

The handling it is till great, now need a lot of care on accalerate, full power is too much from a start from 0.
It look that the stearing servo has a little bit more noise, but it is till very accurate. Maybe I will need to add a resistance between PCB and servo motor so for make it more soft and accurate.
I have also lost my capacitor around the main motor, so this can also add some interferences... BTW it is damn cool my Epoch with 6 cell.

Looking for a better gear !

e_lm_70

PICS will follow !

beetyii
11-27-2002, 09:05 PM
Becarefull,

not to ruin your car ! All the parts are not made to handle the tourque you get.
I´m wondering how long the electronic can handle the increased Volt...

Only a thought of mine :(

e_lm_70
11-28-2002, 01:31 AM
I take care :)

So far I have run the car with no particular attention for 3 charges.

The engine is reacting well, the diff is working fine, the electronic is working extra fine.

I need to add the capacitor around the engine, since I have removed before make the mod. But it can wait.

Different then the Mini-Z PCB there is no capacitor limited to 6V, so the PCB look safe !

The only noticiable "problem" is that the diff has problem to keep the car straight from a full power start, for example my Mini-Z F1 with the optional diff from Kyosho has no problem on starting well with similar amount of tourque.

BTW the life is not fun if you don't take risk and explore new ways !

e_lm_70

P.S: Epoch with 6 cell is extra fun ! Now my second Epoch with just 4 cell look booring !

PP.SS: Since I run in my little flat, I can say that Epoch can absorbe nicely heavy crash even with full speed !

beetyii
11-28-2002, 07:19 AM
Nice to hear that it is so strong.

I´m waiting for mine...

beetyii:(

e_lm_70
11-29-2002, 07:07 AM
Here is the pic of the 6 cell mod.

Sorry for the bad quality...

MicroRCracer
11-30-2002, 01:02 AM
im surprised your stock FET/electronics is handling it.. I remember just from running 5 cells, the FET just fried. But, probably happened from running it continuously.. All and all, nice 6 cell mod job!!:) How many amps do you charge from a digital peak charger? I use 0.5 to 0.6 amps.. with a 6 cell mod, you should be faster than your mini-z f1.. i take it that your car is lowered just right on the suspension to handle on track.. When i race in a track, i servo tape a lexan made bigger rear end tail. handling performance is like night and day!! If you have a SPEC 1 i also recommend using the gray colored soft hop up tires.. They work grippier and way excellent!!!

Oh yeah, the way you did the two batteries on the rear top motor plate, does it not allow to flex properly to get the t-plate play?? Have you tried putting the batteries on the very top of the electronics? or does it not fit???

gertman
11-30-2002, 01:37 AM
does it not allow to flex properly to get the t-plate play??

Could you please re-word this part of your message. I think you lost me :p

MicroRCracer
11-30-2002, 05:26 AM
Gertman,

What i meant was, on the rear suspension, the T-bar or T plate should have the ability to have the T-plate suspension motion of left, right, and of course to be pressed downward. By looking at his two batteries on where its place on the top of the motor housing, it looks like it might not flex right if the body is mounted on..I was just wonderin'.. Thats all..:D

e_lm_70
12-02-2002, 01:32 AM
Hi,

Maybe I just had big luck, but I never had any problem with my FET so far, even with some full run (the bat last around 7 minutes).

Just some consideration about the FET. With my MOD 6 cell instead the original 3, the Amp to throw the FET is around doubled. Just rewinding the motor, making a less impedence one (for example I tested the Stock Mini-Z, and X-Speed: X-Speed has half of the impendence of Stock) can generate more the the double of Amp till with 3 cell.

About the rear suspesnsion: Currently I'm running my 4 cell with high sustension and my 6 cell with low suspension.
Yes due to the mod some little effect on the full lexibility of the rear suspension is noticiable, but it can till mouve up/down and little "inclinate" almost on the 90% of the standard possibility.

I would like to know where is the ESC FET on the Epoch, in case I will run in trouble.

My 6 cell Epoch is far faster then a Stock Mini-Z, but not as fast as a Mini-Z X-Speed 9T pinion.

I will put on 6 cell also my second Epoch soon.
I'm looking for a 8/9 T pinion for my Epoch, this will bring my Epoch over 30km/h on top speed.

e_lm_70
12-02-2002, 01:55 AM
I forgot:

Currently I don't have any professional charger :(
What I use is a standard 9V NiCd/NiMh charger with a special connector for charge my car: it is just 14mA ... so it take 10h for a charge !

I will go for a "advanced" charger soon, just delaying since it is not so cheap ... a good one cost around 50$ !

Yesterday I have checked the range of my Epoch, I hope the result was due to the not fresh at all bat on my RX, using Mini-Z RX I have around 7-8 metters range ... like a mod Bit ...

With the standard Epoch RX it is little bit less ...

It look very poor ... my Mini-Z RX with a Mini-Z has a 30m plus range !

MicroRCracer
12-02-2002, 11:54 PM
e_lm_70 ,

check the bottom of the pcb board..and for the charger, you dont know what youre missing!! get one.. youll get a longer run time and more punch from the batteries.. My run time is 9-10 minutes and im not even fully charging the bats since i dont want to stay on the safe side. Besides my armature and 7th cell, charging 0.5-0.7 is another factor why my car probably does wheelies as confirmed.. Remeber, that you have to do a clean fast solder job on the batteries and dont heat them up since it will shorten the life and performance of the cell(s). I am going to also experiment using an Aurora HO slot car armature and let you guys know whats the out come..

e_lm_70
12-03-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by MicroRCracer
Besides my armature and 7th cell

Are you running with 7th cell now in a Epoch ?

If the PCB can till survive it will be a great one, from 3cell to 7cell is a difference between 3.9V to 9.1V ...

e_lm_70