PDA

View Full Version : Suspension ??

GiantScale
11-26-2002, 10:26 PM
Could a few DTM X4 owners take a long look at there cars, and see if the front end drive could accept a fabricated double A arm suspension with out binding the dog bones or drive shafts..

Since the spindles turn to make the car turn, I assume it could work. Just making sure before taking on the project.

Thanks

Mike

gertman
11-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Hey GiantScale,

Sounds like an awsome idea but I really don't think it's going to work. For the amount of binding-free travel you could get, it just wouldn't be worth it.

Do you have a DTM-X4 you are looking at? Or are you pondering this before you buy? If you do have one, I am sure you would be able to see how much suspension travel you could achieve and still have bind-free dog bones before making your 1st cut.

Good luck on this project, if you manage to get it working, I would love to see pics.:)

GiantScale
11-26-2002, 11:22 PM
Thanks gertman & slugbugg...

Iv got the mini-x on order for the same idea. I dont have the 4X YET, But the 4x looks like a much better diff & drive set up... but no A arms...

I planned on making LONG A arms to get the wheels outside the body.. So the total movement would only move the dog bones no more than 15 degrees neg & positive (about) in order to get about a 1/2" of travel.

Im a bit worried about the mini-x with its dog bones that pop out sometimes. Can u imagine off-road??? Id have to have ALLOT of custom dog bones!!!

Can one of you two take the front spindle loose, and move it up & down while turning the drive to see how many degrees (aproxx.) the dog bone could move up or down before binding?

For the rear,, a front end with A arms could turn it into a 4 wheels steer off-road.

Lots of work, but I like building one of's.

Thanks!!!

Mike

gertman
11-27-2002, 03:36 AM
front drive shafts do not flex they use a ball ended hex shaft that basically drives an allen head bolt.

Sorry I didn't mention this, I thought you knew. Anyway, I seem to recall a link to some Japanese site where a guy takes parts from the DTM-X4 and Mini-X and makes one heck of a ride!!!

If anyone can find the link or thread where it was posted please repost!!! ;)

Bravin Neff
11-27-2002, 12:18 PM
Anyway, I seem to recall a link to some Japanese site where a guy takes parts from the DTM-X4 and Mini-X and makes one heck of a ride!!!

I believe you may be talking about this:

http://www.siukeung.com/link01/link01-07-04-05.htm

Kind regards,
Bravin Neff

binaryterror
11-27-2002, 12:26 PM
I wouldnt dream either of these cars would be suitable for anything more offroad than a bumpy sidewalk.

My dog bones on my Mini-X do not pop out, and there are fixes on this forum.

tinyrc
11-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Yep, that's a classic - this guy has come up with so many cool projects! :D

GiantScale
11-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Yes Bravin & gertman!!!

That link takes me to what I want to do! I wish I could read the details!:D

So Im on the right track combining the mini-x & X4:D

Did he use a front end on the rear?

But I dont like the motor placment :rolleyes:

I'll write him..

Thanks!