PDA

View Full Version : Gertman's F-1 thread

gertman
11-24-2002, 09:33 PM
Hey, hey

My Formula Digi-Q finally arrived yesterday!! :D Before I give my thoughts on it, I want to describe some things about it that have been abscent in other threads.

First of all, I know someone is going to ask this question:

What is the difference in size between the Formula Digi Q and an Epoch?

Well, here is the answer:

gertman
11-24-2002, 09:35 PM
A dead-on side view:

gertman
11-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Here is one with some height:

gertman
11-24-2002, 09:37 PM
From the front:

gertman
11-24-2002, 09:44 PM
As everyone who has one found out, the car steers with the REAR wheels like a regular Digi Q. BUT the difference is, the front wheels are hooked together with a tie-rod and will turn left and right. This does assest in helping the car turn tighter than if they didn't turn at all.

An important note to add here is the front tires are plastic and the rear are rubber EXACTLY like a regular Digi Q.

Getting back to the front end................the front "suspension" is a rigid swing axile. It rotates about the center of the car. The red arrows indicate the direction of possible motion. A red dot in the appoximate center about which the whole assembly is able to rotate. The red line is the approximate center of the axile.

See the picture below:

gertman
11-24-2002, 09:49 PM
The front assembly is complete with knuckles and a tie-rod. The motion described in the previous post is ALL the "suspension" or movement the car has in the front or rear. So there is NO WAY the car could bottom out!!

Here is a close-up of a knuckle and tie-rod:

gertman
11-24-2002, 09:52 PM
Here is another picture of the whole front swing arm suspension:

gertman
11-24-2002, 10:02 PM
For those of you who can't tell, still confused, or having the pictures come out dark, I have color keyed the picture:

The lower suspension arm. Remember it is ONE straight piece.

This is the upper suspension arm. It too is ONE straight piece.

Neither side of the suspension can move independently from one another.

this is the tie-rod that connects each front knuckle (hub)

This tie-rod only connects one knuckle to the other, it is not driven nor does it drive anything else!!

gertman
11-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Now, as far as how all this stuff works........................

I think it works better than the regular Digi Q BUT certianly NOT better than servo controlled front steering aka an Epoch.

As far as speed, it is about 1/3 slower than a regular Digi Q.

I have primarily been driving it on a rather slick wooden floor. I think it drifts rather well and is not as squairlly compared to a regular Digi Q because of the longer wheel-base (The F-1 is over twice as long as a regular Digi Q and 1/8" wider)

Since everyone else had already said the F-1's didn't steer with the front wheels, I wasn't dissappointed about that. What I was dissapointed about was the speed. I really was expecting for something almost as fast as the regular Digi Q's.

I think this car rates somewhere between a Digi Q an a Bit Char-G. I am glad to have one but I see how others may be very disappointed.

irc
11-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Nice review Gert:D

gertman
11-24-2002, 10:46 PM
The remote that comes with the car appears to be a regular ol' Digi Q Special only black. BUT, as many have found out it ONLY works with a Digi Q Formula. :(

The car is attached to the back of the remote for charging BUT it is not recessed as in the regular Digi Q's. Also there is a button that when depressed raises the battery charging contacts.

gertman
11-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Now, when I just manually rotate the left rear wheel, the front wheels turn right, as they should. BUT, when I turn the right rear wheel, the front wheels only turn slightly left. I have been trying to figure out exactly why with not much luck. It seems the pins on which the tie-rods rotate were heated and flowered (mushroomed) to hold the tie-rod on. This basically means it's permanently on there :(

As far as how this effects handling:

The car makes MUCH sharper right turns BUT it also spins out more when turning in that direction. I think the car will need a little work with the front end to improve the handling.

GTR
11-24-2002, 11:11 PM
looks flimsy...

henry
11-24-2002, 11:54 PM
is it faster then epoch?

gertman
11-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Ummm sorry to burst your bubble here Henry, BUT I did say that the F-1's are slower than regular Digi Q's. And since Epoch's are faster than Digi Q's it would be reasonable to assume that F-1's are slower still than an Epoch.

henry
11-25-2002, 02:30 AM
well, i didnt know that epochs r faster then digi q's. u didnt say anything about the epoch and digi q's.

gertman
11-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Sorry,

I didn't say in this thread but I thought it was in another. Yes Epoch are faster than Digi Q's and Digi Q's are faster than Formula Digi Q's.

Glad the confusion is over :D

henry
11-25-2002, 05:35 PM
damn, thoses epoch must be very fast if its faster then digi q cuz digi q's r quite fast. u think its as fast as a mini z?

gertman
11-25-2002, 08:43 PM
Sorry Henry,

But I really don't want to get off on a speed comparison in this thread. I have set this thread up for Digi-Q F-1's. As far as the Epoch's, if you can't find the answers in the Epoch fourm please feel free to start a new thread over there and ask.

akura2
11-26-2002, 12:41 PM
can anyone post a video?

dumboi07
12-07-2002, 03:02 AM
i havent been here in a while... lolz... i didnt realize that they came out already! sad to hear theyre slower, that really bites because it looks cool. I think im better off buying a Mini z F1

kev71H
12-09-2002, 12:19 AM
mini-z f1 rules.:D

Panzer
01-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Gert, do you have any advice for those who are trying to decide whether to buy a Digi-Q F1 or a Mini-Z F1? Maybe I should just get both!

gertman
01-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Ummmmm,

I would DEFFINITLY, with out any doubts say GO WITH THE Mini-Z F-1!!! :D :D :D

I do not have one myself, but I can tell you, you would be VERY dissapointed with the Digi Q F-1!!

:cool:

ag04
01-22-2003, 05:32 PM
well couldn't you possibly fit more cells in the sucker? it's the size of an epoch, so you could replace the batts with like a 3 or 4 cell pack maybe. I'm disappointed, 2 I thought that the f-1's were gonna be something else, like twice the speed of a digiq and better handling.

ag04

gertman
01-22-2003, 06:26 PM
I assume u would have to start upgrading electronics if u add more cells.---NOT something I want to do!!:p