PDA

View Full Version : Since the overland is'nt 4 w/d.....

GiantScale
11-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Hi all..

Iv been waiting on the overland hoping it would be 4 w/d..but since it is not, Im considering the mini-X once again. I have a 14x7 hardwood floor, so I need some traction!!! but also thicker carpet in other areas, but I think that surface may be out of the picture until someone makes a nice mini off-road-4w/d ..

Does Tinyrc offer the mini-X with a good TX? I have one traxxas TX which should work well for one ready set, but I need 3..

Which rubber wheels for the X would get best traction on a hardwood floor, or do I need to experiment with all 3 rubber hardness's.. I have made foam wheels on my lathe before. Wonder if larger foams could be installed to make the X a stadium truck?!?!? gearing? new A arms? doesnt look like much room for bigger wheels.

Iv also considered the epoch racer, but have heard it pushes(understeer) and that would be bad for the hardwood floor. Can the push be tuned out of the epoch?? 2 w/d drive may be much harder for my kids to control.

Could I get a carpet (what kind?) for this 14x7 area to increase performance so I could go with 2 w/d? Id like to practice for 1/10th pan car oval racing, so a epoch may perform closer than a mini-x. I like the rocket racer also. more battery & motor options.

Sorry lots of Q's thanks

Mike Kolder

:D

binaryterror
11-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Does Tinyrc offer the mini-X with a good TX? I have one traxxas TX which should work well for one ready set, but I need 3

Tiny does offer a very nice Tx fof the Mini-X just email him on pricing (it is a Futaba Mega Sport from what I hear).

Which rubber wheels for the X would get best traction on a hardwood floor, or do I need to experiment with all 3 rubber hardness's.. I have made foam wheels on my lathe before. Wonder if larger foams could be installed to make the X a stadium truck?!?!? gearing? new A arms? doesnt look like much room for bigger wheels.

No, there isn’t room for much of an oversized tire, but the stock tires I have work well on my highly polished wood parquet flooring. Also I have your typical nap carpet, and I say as long as it isn’t a loose carpet you can easy run (and have a ton of fun on most carpets). Remember this thing is light, so a strong carpet to hold it doesn’t have to be really strong. Heck over my small wood kitchen floor is scoots quite fast, and over my much larger carpeted area it scoots just as good! Remember this thing can be run outside as well on a fairly smooth surface.

Iv also considered the epoch racer, but have heard it pushes(understeer) and that would be bad for the hardwood floor. Can the push be tuned out of the epoch?? 2 w/d drive may be much harder for my kids to control.

No clue on anything Epoch…but I will tell you the Mini-x has 3 problems as I see it for kids...
1. The motor gets super hot (not melting the surrounding plastics) but yes it could easily burn a kid.
2. Hard to charge/remove the batteries (but with you there it should be simple).
3. The dog bones have a tendency to pop out of the front (which is easy to find in carpet, but not outside or flying across a wood floor.
4. This thing is friggin’ fast as heck. It is amazing the speed it has, but it is fully proportional and you should be able to tune it to run slowly if needed.

Could I get a carpet (what kind?) for this 14x7 area to increase performance so I could go with 2 w/d? Id like to practice for 1/ 10th pan car oval racing, so a epoch may perform closer than a mini-x. I like the rocket racer also. more battery & motor options.

I personally raced the Mini-Z from a friend, the Mini-X is so much more fun and mine seems faster! For a close to pan car handling I think the ABC hobby DTM (non-4wd) would be the best performing and best to configure, as it is basically a tiny pan car. Or what about that Kawada Mid car...tiny has them too! The Epoch is small and limited if any hop up parts. The Mini-X is fun, fast, cheap, and very very rugged.

customrc
11-29-2002, 11:15 PM
i am sure that the overland is 4wd from looking at it

GiantScale
11-29-2002, 11:27 PM
I sure hope your right!!!!!!!!:D

but from what people have said who actually watched it run , , it is not:rolleyes:

Mike

Russ
11-30-2002, 12:17 AM
No the overland is NOT 4wd. If you go to kyosho's real website it says that it is only rear wheel drive.

customrc, what do you see that makes you think it is 4wd? Look at how the motor is housed in the back. There aren't any shafts that come out of the motor pod, nor are there any type of driveshafts for the front wheels. Look at some of the other views & the hop-up chart with the different color chassis. You can see the front section is for the servo only, no drivetrain. :D

Goblue
11-30-2002, 05:04 PM
New to the site but have been "scouring the web" for more info and this looks new.

Here (http://www.interq.or.jp/blue/fumio/messe_rc_show_top.html) Click the image with the 2 overlands.

Jeff

I can not wait to get this.

customrc
12-02-2002, 10:02 AM
well if you look at the front stearing box there are spme wierd gear bulges plus the little arm that connects the 2 front wheels is on thr front of instead of the back, that is very unorthodox unless it is 4wd, the last reason i thought it was there wher pictures of the truck climb up a very steep little wall and that would be hard for a rwd truck....

just my thoughts i might be wrong. by the way i went to www.kyosho.com and didn't see anythingabout the overland.

thanks
-zic

GiantScale
12-02-2002, 10:23 AM
I was also wondering "HOW" a rear wheel drive car could climb a ROUGH 45 degree angle...

Mike

Russ
12-02-2002, 10:34 AM
Hehehe, I said the "real" kyosho site. Kyosho isn't based in the US, try www.kyosho.co.jp :D

edit: well sorry guys, the online brochure was there, I promise!! Can't find it anymore :confused:

customrc
12-02-2002, 05:33 PM
i found what you are talking about here http://www.kyosho.co.jp/rc_model/miniz_series/miniz_overland/miniz_overland-e.html

and nowhere deos it say rwd or 4wd or not 4wd or anything.

Russ
12-02-2002, 07:11 PM
Yes, I know. I just said I couldn't find the online brochure they had up before. Just spread the word that it is 2wd and kill this evil rumor!! The places you see in the front section for gears are for the servo gears. If you've ever seen the inside of a mini-z servo you will recognize the setup that kyosho used for the front of the overland.

binaryterror
12-02-2002, 08:25 PM
You know it has to be 2wd...why? because everything kyosho used to do that was 4wd always sucked!

It would be great to have a super soft 4wd in a 1/24 scale...but to do it you are sadly going to need to do some major customizing.