PDA

View Full Version : New DigiQ Formula products & Mini Review

xsracer
11-18-2002, 01:53 PM
New products.
Konami will release DigiQ Formula bodies (for about 1/2 price of the single car) sometime in the middle of December. The cars are the same as the ones available, but you can get a different numbers. For instance:

JORDAN HONDA EJ12 (CAR No.9)
JORDAN HONDA EJ12 (CAR No.10)

Also, display charger will be release on 12/12 at the same price.

Digi Q Formula Mini Review

1. ACQUISITION
Since ToyEast didn't get it until Nov 16 or 17th, and HLJ doesn't carry it, my only option was Rainbowten. On the negative side they don't have a nice web interface and the shipping is a little too expensive. On the positive side, I place an order on Mon Nov 11 and got it on Sat Nov 16. Not bad at all. An order from HLJ might take weeks sometimes.

2. QUALITY
I've got McLaren Mercedes MP4-17 kit and JORDAN HONDA EJ12 single car. Overall, the quality is not as good as original Digi Q, but it's not bad either. As I have expected, the quality is about the same as Combat Digi Q, which is also made by Konami. The drive/battery part looks quite solid. The front/front wheel section looks kind of flimsy but given the looks/design of F1 cars in general and the size of these cars, I think we can forgive Konami. The level of details is awesome mostly.

3. ASEEMBLY
Well, there's not much to it. There are some extra parts and decals. I didn't bother with them. From what I understood, you should paint those parts 'cause they just off-white. Don't know for sure, since I don't read Japanese.

4. CONTROLLER
You get the same controller as DigiPropo Special but they're NOT interchangeable with regular DigiQs. Somebody might have different results but it didn't work for me. It would be nice if they were but I don't think it's a big deal either. Don't forget that the charging station between them is physically not compatible anyway.

5. STEERING
Rear wheel steering. I was totally confused about it since Konami site shows front wheel steering in response to the controller wheel. It is simply NOT the case. Front wheels are not attached to anything but each other. What happens is that when you turn, the front wheels sometimes happen to turn in the same direction so it kind of looks like it's turning with front wheels.

6. DRIVING EXPERIENCE
My remote was defaulted to "4567" so I just tested it like that. In my opinion, regular DigiQ would be pretty hard to drive with steering set to 6. The turn is just too quick. On the other hand F1 was quite controllable. I think it's due to its longer body and/or wider wheel base. If anything, it wasn't too responsive at that setting. The speed was pretty decent at 4. In fact, when I tried to do an extreme turn at full speed, it would drift like crazy on the hardwood floor. Don't know if it's good for racing but it sure is a lot of fun. I don't really race competitively or anything like that so I can't give you an impression from that perspective but in my opinion the fun factor of these cars is pretty high.

7. RACING MODE
Racing mode is entered by using special code (don't remember the number right now). Once you enter that code, you can change two parameters (I think acceleration and braking), which will not change the code. During continuous driving, the bar will decrease from 8 segments to empty. Once empty, you'll have to stop to recharge the bar. The longer you stand, the higher you bar moves (up to full). I never reached the empty bar so I don't have any details. The bar regenerates pretty fast though. Having bar about half full I got stuck under a shoe: by the time I wiggled my was out of it, it was full again.

8. CONCLUSION
The amount of money I paid is not really a big deal to me. Also, I do not race with anybody for sports. With that in mind, I enjoyed them. Whether it's worth for you or not, you have to decide for yourself.

A note for usagi: hype had nothing to do with me buying these cars. I've seen the plans very long time ago but I didn't think I was going to buy them. Tanks were a different story - I was really looking forward to them. F1 I didn't really care for. What sold me on F1 is a level of details. It's a toy - not a full scale R/C and I treat it as such.

usagi
11-18-2002, 03:24 PM
You know I need to say this, if you want to go ahead and write another message find, but flaming me and then doing it is another story. If you don`t agree fine, but flaming is not allowed on tiny`s site. Next time think before you write, reviews are nice, but only when people don`t think they are the "one and only" real know all about the product which your not. take this as a friendly warning xsracer, because next time you might not have one.

I ran the F1 and its truthy worthless. If you want to go ahead and waste money fine, but 75.00 is way over the price. And yes they can be find here in japan for 5580 yen or $45.00.
same quility are the Digi-q Tanks thats a joke there. The tank ( which I do own) is atleast 20% better then the F1.

xsracer
11-18-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by usagi
You know I need to say this, if you want to go ahead and write another message find, but flaming me and then doing it is another story. If you don`t agree fine, but flaming is not allowed on tiny`s site. Next time think before you write, reviews are nice, but only when people don`t think they are the "one and only" real know all about the product which your not. take this as a friendly warning xsracer, because next time you might not have one.

Dude, I didn't mean to flame you at all. What I meant by the last part is that I'm not one of those people who just buy stuff because it's small, etc. That's it.

I ran the F1 and its truthy worthless. If you want to go ahead and waste money fine, but 75.00 is way over the price. And yes they can be find here in japan for 5580 yen or $45.00.
same quility are the Digi-q Tanks thats a joke there. The tank ( which I do own) is atleast 20% better then the F1.
That's your opinion, fine. Whatever. You certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Why do you think somebody's flaming you just because our opinions are different? 20% better is the same in MY opinion. It is NOT flaming, just MY opinion. Now, if you look at Bit Char-G, that has inconsistent range and weak steering assembly, that's a different quality. All I tried to do is to give people my opinion and let them decide for themselves whether it's worth buying or not.

usagi
11-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by xsracer
Dude, I didn't mean to flame you at all. What I meant by the last part is that I'm not one of those people who just buy stuff because it's small, etc. That's it.

That's your opinion, fine. Whatever. You certainly entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Why do you think somebody's flaming you just because our opinions are different? 20% better is the same in MY opinion. It is NOT flaming, just MY opinion. Now, if you look at Bit Char-G, that has inconsistent range and weak steering assembly, that's a different quality. All I tried to do is to give people my opinion and let them decide for themselves whether it's worth buying or not.
A fuzzy way of a flame but its still a flame. On my thread you did more direct! Your thoughts or opinions are free to say . But the way you went about doing it was not. we don`t need anymore flame wars here.
Remeber I am a buyer too not a shop owner. I want good products for the money:)

There had been way too much postive hype about the car. But there was no negitive coments about it. If i seen those Neg comment i would have stayed away from F1. ( I like to know the bolt-head that said it had direct front whell steering.):rolleyes:
The car is not worth the money, if you think my coments are going to swing what people think...........I think it will not. Why? because people buy what they want no matter what the situationor prices. Its habit buying to some.

TEAM_NITRO
11-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Usagi,

I feel a lot like you. I bought these thinking I would be able to have races with friends. Ya right you couldn't race yourself let be consistent driving this forklift like car!!!

If you want mini car that can be raced competivaly buy an Epoch Spec2

I think people will not be as disappointed with the F1's after the feed back they have received. I expected alot and got nothing but a nice looking car!

TEAM NITRO bc12m

xsracer
11-18-2002, 08:20 PM
I don't have an Epoch. I've heard good things about it but I don't like the bodies. But MiniZ F1 though bigger is the s**t. Tracking differential, turbo booster, oil-filled shocks, and that's just the beginning.

But DigiQ Formula still looks unbelievable.

TEAM_NITRO
11-18-2002, 08:49 PM
Gertman,

When you get your F1 please start a new thread and give us a review with your opinion.

Thanks
TEAM NITRO

I did the four cell mod on the Epoch BLING BLING!

gertman
11-18-2002, 11:17 PM
xsracer,

I just want to publicly appoligze to you for usagi's comments. Hopefully he will refrain from doing this in the future!