PDA

View Full Version : Antennas must be touching

Theta138
07-15-2002, 07:36 PM
I got my first Bit Char-G today and it won't work unless the antenna from the controller and the car are touching. I am baffled. Any guesses as to what I can do?

tinyrc
07-15-2002, 07:53 PM
Theta138, you had said before that it works only when charging - were you able to fix that and now the antennas are the issue, or was it not actually the charging that was the issue?

Theta138
07-15-2002, 07:56 PM
Initially I thought it was the charging that was the issue. But, I have come to the conclusion, that the reason it would work while attached to the controller was because it was touching the metal connects. They might have transmitted the signal to the car which is why it would work (?). Distance doesn't matter. If the car isn't touching, it doesn't work. :confused:

tinyrc
07-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Okay, that's what I thought, so my initial guess still seems correct, did you check the cell? No signal is transmitted through the charging prongs so it is not the antenna that is at issue. You need to open it up and check the cell to make sure both contacts are touching. Just to confirm, if the car is not charging, and is removed, and you touch antennas - it doesn't work, right? If you're unclear about opening it up, I can take or find a pic of what you need to look for. Thanks!

Theta138
07-15-2002, 08:30 PM
When I take it off the controller, touch the antennas together, and press up, it goes forward. The problem is not with the cell, as I frist thought. :)

tinyrc
07-15-2002, 08:47 PM
Ah, okay, this is good information. First, what cells are you using in the Tx? If rechargables, try alkalines. If alkalines, are they brand new? If not, try some brand new ones and see if it helps. If none of these make a difference, it's time to fiddle with the POT. You can find an article on how to do this at:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/qfm/racing/mod_04.htm#15

While you're in there, check the obvious things such as the antenna contact point on the PCB etc.

Theta138
07-15-2002, 08:53 PM
I have checked all the obvious things like wires detached, and things of that nature. As far as teh batteries issue is concerned....I read not to use high grade batteries like Ultra Duracell and the like, so I went and bought some generic WalGreens batteries. They are brand spanking new. No rechargables, just simple alkalines. I guess I will have to go fiddle with the POT. I'll come back and post later with my findings. :)

Theta138
07-15-2002, 09:08 PM
Ok, I see where the POT thing is, but it looks like a deep hole. Is it supposed to be like that, or did something fall out?

<edit>
If that's how it's supposed to be, got any ideas of what I can use to turn it? The eye glass kit screw driver I have been using it not small enough.
</edit>

was ist los?
07-15-2002, 10:43 PM
about the issue of controlling while charging, my 2 cell 57mhz car was controlled when i accidentally placed it on my 45mhz control.

tinyrc
07-15-2002, 11:05 PM
The POT on mine is "tall" but not "deep"; i.e. the adjustment screw is right at the top of the little "tower" - take a look at this image from QFM which shows the POT on an angle at the far left:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/qfm/racing/img/nimh3.jpg

The adjustment screw on mine is at the surface of this, however, it sounds like yours is either a different design somehow and the the adjustment is recessed, or that it's defective and that the adjustment is missing! This was a brand new unit, right? Where did you get it?

Theta138
07-16-2002, 07:30 AM
I have the piece under the PCB (that white-ish colored thing that is threaded like a screw). But, on top, there's just a hole that goes down into it. I have looked in, and I don't really see anything to turn. I got it off eBay from a person named Stellamodel. They have thousands of positive feedback, and few negative, so I thought I would be ok..... *sigh*

Yes, it was brand new.

tinyrc
07-16-2002, 07:48 AM
Like I said my adjustment screw is at the top, no hole at all. I would contact the seller and see if they can exchange it.

Theta138
07-16-2002, 08:08 AM
Ok, that's what I thought you said. Thanks for reiterating. I wanted to make sure that I understood you correctly. I have sent an e-mail to the seller. :) You've been very helpful, TinyRC. Thanks a million.

ViperKid
07-16-2002, 08:16 AM
so the problem was just bad pot?:D

Theta138
07-16-2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah, that is what I am thinking. I don't see any adjustment screw. What a bummer. I was so excited to get it too....

ViperKid
07-16-2002, 08:22 AM
wow! you live in kentucky! where? i didn't think there was anybody else that had a bit charge in a 300 mile radius. sorry didn't mean to get so off-topic

tinyrc
07-16-2002, 08:43 AM
You've been very helpful, TinyRC. Thanks a million.

No problem! Good luck getting it replaced! :)

Theta138
07-16-2002, 08:43 AM
Lived in Louisville my whole life actually. :)

ViperKid
07-16-2002, 09:20 AM
thats cool, i live in Murray;)

Theta138
07-16-2002, 10:11 AM
Hey Viper, what cars do you have?

tinyrc
07-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Guys, how about starting a Kentucky thread rather than continuing this under "Antennas must be touching" ;) Thanks! :)

ViperKid
07-16-2002, 11:24 AM
got ya;)