PDA

View Full Version : Bunta's 2cell bit (all in stock body!)

Bunta
10-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Here's a Pic of my version of the 2 cell bit.

Bunta
10-25-2002, 04:47 PM
This is chassis with body on.

-Bunta out

:D

Bunta
10-25-2002, 05:41 PM
Buntaís 2 cell Bit mod

Buntaís 2 cell Bit mod is the only one so far that manages to put 2 cells in a Bit and still manage to put many of the stock bodies on the chassis. This is really great for a ďsleeperĒ Bit to take to battle on the tracks.

Tools you will need:

1) Soldering Iron
2) Small Phillips (+) and Flat (--) screwdrivers
3) Small wire cutters and strippers
4) Small pliers
5) Razor or X-acto knife
6) Rotary tool (Dremel)
7) Small Vise-Grips (OPTIONAL)
8) Project holder (OPTIONAL)
9) Super Glue (certain projects)

Bit 2 cell mod: (Chassis preparation)

1) Remove car body from chassis by un-latching the front first.
2) With a small flat screwdriver (or long fingernail) carefully un seat one corner of the PCB cover. Then slide the other side off. You do not have to break the little tabs.

3) Now the cover is loose, slide the antenna wire though the loop and put the PCB cover aside. Be VERY CAREFUL of the PCB and itís wires. Notice the little hair thin wires? Those control your steering; do NOT damage any of these wires.
4) Bits have a much tighter battery compartment, the wires are usually correspondingly shorter also, this INCREASES the chances of snapping a steering wire BEWARE! Remove the rear axle, heatsink, and motor.

5) You can remove the motor contacts. This requires that the Idler gear pin must to be removed. With the flat side of a small flat screwdriver push the idler gear pin through the chassis and grab the other end of it with some pliers and pull it through.

6) You can now remove the (forward) motor contact now. Itís the one that attaches to the end of the motor on the side of the car. The (reverse) motor contact needs to be straightened out before removal. WATCH THE STEERING WIRES! This is a good time to shorten the forward motor contact. We want to prevent the contact from sticking out. We need to cut and shorten the contact and then re-solder the wire on to the contact.

7) Both the charging contacts can be loosened by using a small flat screwdriver and pushing the ends towards the front from underneath the car. Use some small pliers to work the contacts loose from the topside. If your steering wires are short and youíve done all the OPTIONAL steps, the only wires that should be holding the PCB to the chassis should be the thin steering wires. Be careful and tuck the PCB over the front of the car and tape it there with some slack in the steering wires. Donít get any of the tape onto the steering wires.
8) Get your rotary tool (Dremel) ready. Itís time to make some cuts to the chassis near the battery/charging contacts. Remove the chassis material a little at a time, testing the fit of the battery. Cut both sides left and right. Cut the plastic back until you can squeeze a battery into that half of the chassis. Watch out how far back you go, the plastic gets pretty thin here, and the rear tires might hit the battery. If you need more room, you can get some by removing some of the plastic in the corners of the front of the battery compartment, but itís only a little you can gain here.

9) After doing the same operation on the opposite side, you can test fit your batteries into the chassis. You are half way there!! Itís time to wire this little bugger up.

2 Cell mod (Battery Layout)

Batteries Wiring: (connector/insulator preparation)

1) For our project car to work, we need a working electrical circuit. All batteries have a positive and a negative terminal. With the batteries shoved into the chassis, we can see where we need to make some connections.

2) I personally donít like to solder onto a battery, you can buy batteries with solder tabs already on them if you like. I prefer to make small battery contacts out of things in my junk pile. If these materials are all used up, I can use un-insulated electrical crimp connectors and a short bit of wire. This way I can easily change my batteries, although I never had to yet.

3) For Bits we need to make some new battery contacts, and some new charging contacts. The charging contacts are the original ones modified by snapping off the vertical parts. We then glue these charging contacts back into position with some super glue.

4) The vertical parts that were snapped off will become the battery contacts.

5) Now the batteries and wires are all connected as they should be.

VDOGG
10-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Very nice dude!! Great instructions too! How much better does the car perform now?

-Vince

Bunta
10-25-2002, 10:01 PM
Thanks VDOGG!

My little car is really fast now! A 1.6 motor from ZZs performs well, but the 2.4 yellow NOS motor is really fast. The generic red/yellow motor out of my panther is the fastest though. (so far)

I have pics to go with my guide,, but I don't know how to get them all posted. There are alot of pics with detail text and explanations.

Can anyone tell me how to post these pics too?

-Bunta out

VDOGG
10-25-2002, 10:07 PM
Have you tried the "turbo" ZZ motor yet? For some reason, its way faster than the NOS in my bit.

-Vince

DesertJedi
10-26-2002, 01:13 AM
I'm sure there's a way to post the pics...and I'd love to see them.

Child of the TV Generation

QFM Racing
10-26-2002, 01:28 AM
Bunta,

Excellent job! Just had to mention though that this mod was already done some time ago (not by us). Heres a pic that was sent to us back in August.

QFM Racing
QuestForMadness.com (http://questformadness.com)

Bunta
10-26-2002, 01:46 AM
Oh, thanks for the heads up.

I haven't seen that one before. Trust me I've been lurking and looking.

-Bunta out

nMotion96
10-26-2002, 02:51 AM
here are some pictures of my 2 and 3 cell bit that i done awhile back, i still haven't taken any pic of my 3 cell zip zap i'll post them when i get them

http://www30.brinkster.com/xsboost94/bit.html

PhillyB
10-27-2002, 04:40 PM
yeah i did that also - same exact way but i got mine from someones sleeper idea - only thing is i cant get the PCB cover back on at all even with some trimming - so im runnin with some 200mph duct tape :) lol - its too fast with a 3.8 and orange gears - did the 4 cell charger and i get around 6-8 min with a 2 min charge - used two 120mah nimhs - im thinkin of modding my dB car - doin the two in the chassis, one in the cab and two in the bed of the truck - have a wheelie demon :) - the rx7 (dual cell) handles great with soft tires from microsizer set up front with stock kit tires in rear - a little bit of driftin :) - also shaved a gram off the chassis with a drill bit in a few non stress areas

RacerDeX
10-27-2002, 10:32 PM
Is thier an easer way then sodering? ( I mean sodering the liuttle wires ) my hands are too shaky ) whats your best advice bunta?

PhillyB
10-28-2002, 12:43 AM
i dont have the best hand control either - so when i was soldering a chip for my PS2 i bought a hobby clamp that has a heavy metal base and two movable alligator clips - also has a magni glass but i dont use that much - works great on these little cars

Bunta
10-28-2002, 01:02 PM
Hi everyone!

Well I agree with PhillyB about the hobby clamp thing. This handy dandy tool will hold the really small steering wires in whatever postition you need to solder them. I also find that the little wires stick better if you have the insulation burned off and a little solder on the tips already. Smear some solder onto the end of the steering wire before you try to connect it!

As for this 2 cell mod, you don't need to disturb the steering wires. If you are hesitant to solder the regular wires,, well you just need some practice on some scrap pieces of wire. A good soldering iron with fine tips helps alot too.

Perhaps the ZZ 2 cell mod is better for you,, there is much less soldering and the battery compartment is huge! You can even cram in 3!

-Bunta out

JaMeZzZ122
10-28-2002, 06:02 PM
wow...niceness....gj and mad props...any one do 4 yet, its probably not possible to have the battery inside but have 3 in adn 1 out is good...ppl would think it's a dual battery and find out there are 4:D :eek: :p

TheFanMan
10-28-2002, 07:50 PM
4 would be swizneet, but think about the weight issues it would have. Sure the car may run faster, but with 4 on there it may only run like a 2.6 since these little fellas don't have a whole lot of torgue.... now if you could figure out a way to give your car more torque, then you will recieve a mouth wide open and a golf clap.:D

Bunta
10-28-2002, 09:17 PM
I agree with TheFanMan,, when I actually drove the car in the pics,, I wasn't super impressed. The jump in performance from 1 to 2 cell was much more impressive than going 2 to 3 cells.
There were a few limiting factors, stock ZZ pcb, blue stock gears, and most motors 2.6 and under. (I don't have a 3.0 or higher lying around)

I gotta experiment more with my 3 cell to see,,,,

I suppose that I could just bundle up the batteries and make a little luggage rack for the trunk and stick them back there,, that way I'll get mega wheelies. Most people expect wheelies,,,,,

-Bunta out

RacerDeX
10-30-2002, 03:36 PM
http://www30.brinkster.com/xsboost94/bit.html

OK did he only soder the +'s ? and thats all?

or is the back of the batteries sodered too aka the -'s ?

Bunta
10-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Hi RacerDex!

I was only able so solder onto the + terminal of the batteries. I don't know why they are easier,, but they are. I then proceeded to solder the other end of the wire to a little scrap of metal contact that I had. I am able to wedge this between the next battery's - terminal and the plastic of the chassis.

Check out my website,, I added a ZZ mod page you can click to.

-Bunta out

Ghost of Akina
11-25-2002, 06:18 PM
man i wish i can do Bunta's 2 cell mod. I dont know how to solder and i might break the whole damn bit im only 13 sheeeeeeeeit

shocon2k
12-17-2002, 10:49 PM
You can't fit 3 batteries in a bit unless you made it a stretch limo. He used a zip.

nMotion96
12-21-2002, 03:40 AM
well it said on the picture ZZ which is ZIP ZAP

Ghost of Akina
12-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by shocon2k
You can't fit 3 batteries in a bit unless you made it a stretch limo. He used a zip.

maybe you want to read my post again shocon2k it says i want to do the 2 cell mod not the 3 cell mod you friggin dip****. and don't try to correct me nMOTION96 you n00b

xsuperflyaznguy
12-21-2002, 08:07 PM
WOW those are really cool i wounder how many can fit in a bit or zz

nMotion96
12-21-2002, 08:13 PM
Ghost of Akina i wasn't even talking to you dumbSh!t. i was talking to shocon2k. look at whos the noob you can't even do a 2 cell mod.

Ghost of Akina
12-21-2002, 08:56 PM
that doesn't make me a n00b dipsh!t it just means it can't hold the soldering iron steady enough unlike you, you can hold anything thats slim like your friggin winkie. plus look at your title tinyrc newbie use the n00b , also even if you were talking to shocon2k read he post again it clearly states he used a zip so why the hell are you correcting him dingnut
and look at the registration dates i've been with these forums longer than you have i got my bit longer than this friggin mini-rc car craze you probably got yours when everybody goddamn kid in the neighborhood got one

nMotion96
12-21-2002, 09:19 PM
the title means i don't go on here and spend my whole life on here to get hundreds of posts like you. i guess since your hand shakes so much you don't need a girl either. maybe thats why you spend so much time on here.

i just told him that the pic said its a zip zap. maybe if you read it and stop starting **** with everybody you'll understand. you might not be a noob on this board but you are a noob on modding then.

skater252000
12-30-2002, 07:13 PM
JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! That was some funny ****.:p

mrcdemon
01-05-2003, 01:30 AM
QFM racing could u please give me diagrams etc. for the 2 cell mod u posted a pic of. i want to do that one because it looks really clean. ive opened up my electric stuff and i noticed that the pcb wouldnt fit very well... if you could give me help on this it would be great. thanks.

evileric
01-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Wow... JERRY JERRY indeed. We need a "rants" section, or maybe time-out...

mrcdemon
01-07-2003, 11:14 PM
whatsr u sayin eric....

MadMicroDoc
01-12-2003, 12:11 PM
THATS FREAKIN NUTS, 3 batteries in one car, does it get heavy and flip on turns ?? Can't wait to see some one try the 3 in one out ZipZap mod. I L L:D
ooo just for laughs check out my 9v hahahah, the thing is so top heavy i get lucky to take a 3 degree turn

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:10 PM
WHOA!!!!! I just put my second battery to rest on the rear window

:bdrop: b6way b1spd :bbulb: :bts: :bss: bg825 b27m bbimpw zznos

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:11 PM
How did you clear all the wires?:bdrop: :bdrop: :bdrop: :bdrop: :bdrop: (dropping things is fun)

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:13 PM
I also took an alkaline Radioshack 6v battery and took out the rechargable one, wired that one to where the green one used to be, and wala! No more charging!!! zznos zznos zznos zznos zznos zznos zznos NOS tastes funny

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:24 PM
i put an alkaline 6v in an rx-7

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:25 PM
here's some pics

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:28 PM
and another. In case you couldn't read the battery on the first pic, it is now a 100 shot NOS tube

paint smells funny

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:30 PM
it goes smokin fastb6way :bbulb: :bts: b1spd :bss: b49m bg395 zznos bbimpw

fuzzy2cell
01-12-2003, 06:31 PM
but it sometimes does weelies

MadMicroDoc
01-12-2003, 07:18 PM
I have tried twice at a dual cell mod and all has failed, i got everything soldiered and it worked, but just didnt go all that faster?? ANY IDEAS ? ? ? ? :confused:

mcharles13
01-12-2003, 11:57 PM
did you wire the batts in parallel or in series?

Redfire
01-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Can someone post pics on how to put 2 NiMh batteries into a stock body? If possible, step by step?

Email me:
Praning_na_Pinoy@2by2.net

Bunta
01-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi peeps,,

Redfire,, check out my website for instructions,, WWW below or
http://www.geocities.com/pikamoy/Bunta2cellmod.html

good luck with your mods,,

-Bunta

dohc
01-24-2003, 09:06 PM
nice :D

Ghost of Akina
01-25-2003, 02:35 PM
i d like to know exactly how long do you need to charge it because i've done everything including modifying the charger (the way its done on QFM) but know i wanna know exactly how long do i need to charge it?

Lord_Nick_D
03-19-2003, 06:27 PM
90 sec to start out you car slowly increase it but you can toast your battery and it shortens the life of them

bwsk8
03-22-2003, 09:47 PM
I don't have a dremel and I want do a battery out of the back window what would be the best way to cut it out? Using a drill?

midget_man1387
04-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by anthony18088
i just tried to do the 2 cell mod but the car only works when its on the charger but when i take it off the charger it wont work at all could someone please tell me wat could be wrong

same thing happened to me... i know it sounds dumb but your batteries in your charger probably are dead lol, that was how it was for me..... with a dual cell you need two BRAND NEW batts lol

midget_man1387
04-04-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by bwsk8
I don't have a dremel and I want do a battery out of the back window what would be the best way to cut it out? Using a drill?

I used a razor knife... exacto knife would work too

bwsk8
04-05-2003, 12:10 PM
I used a drill and a file and it came out good thanks anyways.

midget_man1387
04-05-2003, 06:31 PM
no prob thats what I'm here for

BabyKiller
04-16-2003, 05:21 PM
lol nail file how long that take?

fireball16789
09-24-2003, 12:06 AM
ive never herd of it my self

__________________________________________________ ___________
bblany b30 bg395 b27m :bsh: bc36c :bbulb: b2spd :btc:

sawhit4
11-30-2003, 12:29 AM
i have a clone made by motor works. i want to make a dual cell mod if i can but i dont want it to be in the chassis. so if i do it where the 2nd cell is where the back window used to be do i just take one of the wires off the battery that came with the car and hook it to the right terminal of the 2nd battery and then connect the two batteries with a wire? and if this will work will i have to get some type of special charger or will my regular charger still work? thanks

Flux49Mhz
12-06-2003, 03:26 PM
I like layman's tri-cell way better. It works in zip and micro. But now that i have your idea, i think i'll do a 6 CELL!!! or even a 9 OR 12!!! mwaahahahaha!

On a less evil note, can someone tell me how to change my signature?

viperdout
12-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Go to user cp above the ad, click on it. Then go to edit profile, and scroll down to custom user text and type in what you want! BTW, I just recently wired a 6 volt battery pack (4 d cells wired in sucession) and fried a motor! What I mean is, the motor got so hot in my hand, I dropped it! Then, when I tried running it, it just got really hot and didn't move. You are advised.