PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

defto
10-24-2002, 11:04 PM
I was racing around my track with my epoch then I started to hear a sound as if it was spinning out, but then it started to stutter or stop on occasion like it was losing its charge, I had just charged it though. So I kept running it and it kept stopping, so I opened up the motor cover and looked at the motor, everything seemed fine. I took the motor out and held it up away from the gears and ran it to see what would happen, it went fine then it stopped just like it was earlier. I then thought the it was just the battery so I charged it again and this time the motor ran by itself like it should. Now when the motor meets any kind of resistance such as setting it down on the track to race the motor just spins and doesn't catch the gears, but when I lift the car up off the ground the tires and motor spin fine. Now I have no clue what to do, so any help would be very much appreciated.

gertman
10-24-2002, 11:46 PM
I have two questions for you buddy:

How do you charge your car?

How old is your Epoch? ie how many charges would you say the batteries have on them?

defto
10-25-2002, 01:27 AM
I charge the car using the original charger and pressing the button twice because I have the 4 cell pack. The pack has about 10-15 charges on it.

gertman
10-25-2002, 01:33 AM
Sorry,

I am really shooting in the dark here....................

Try draining the battery fully. Turn the car over and hold the trigger until the car stops. Then hold the trigger in ever so slightly until even then the wheels won't turn.

After that, give your baby a good charge (Put a new set of AA's in your charger).

Hope this works, keep me posted :)

Namuna
10-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Best way to test this is to use a standard battery pack, to verify that you've got a properly modded 4-pack.

defto
10-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Well the 4 pack was working fine for a few days, but I will try both ways of testing. I also forgot to mention that the blue wire came off of the motor yesterday and I resoldered it back on, the car was running fine for a few hours, after reconnecting the wire, before all this started to happen. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

gertman
10-25-2002, 12:29 PM
It may, inspect the connection of that blue wire.

I suppose last night I was in a slight daze, I didn't catch the fact that you had a 4cell. Tell me, did you, by chance, over heat any/all of the cells during installation?

Did you make your own 4cell pack or modd a 3cell pack? If you modded a 3 cell pack did you regulate the voltage of the pack?

defto
10-25-2002, 05:05 PM
I'm using the 4 cell pack from the tiny rc store. I don't believe I overeated it when I installed it, but I am gonna check the original 3 pack. That blue wire looks to be okay, like I said after i reconnected it the car ran fine for a while, but then started messin up.

gertman
10-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Have you reconditioned the pack yer? Like I suggest in a previous post? Totall discharge and recharge.......using new AA's.

When you charge, do you just hit the button twice?

defto
10-25-2002, 07:43 PM
I just finished draining the pack and I am about to charge it again.I also wanted to add that I use the AC adapter with my charger, so there is no need for new batteries in that. I do press the button twice to charge it because thats what you suggested I do in a previous post.

defto
10-25-2002, 07:58 PM
Okay I completely drained the pack then recharged it. When holding the car off the ground everything works fine, motor spins very fast. When I set the car down on the track it barely went foreward, almost half speed as though the gears were only catching every once in a while. It went in reverse at full speed most of the time, but as soon I went foreward it only went along at half speed. I could hear the motor turning at full speed like it should, but the car jsut wasn't moving at the speed it should.

gertman
10-25-2002, 10:19 PM
I GOT IT!!!

IT's your diff dude! Your gear differential is messed up.

I really don't know what to tell you about how to fix it, but that's what it is.

Good luck, keep me posted :)

gertman
10-29-2002, 01:11 AM
defto,

I have not heard anything. What's the good word? Have you figured something out with that diff?

Another thought is to try and ask IRC, I believe he has taken his diff apart.

defto
10-31-2002, 09:49 PM
I have looked at it so many times, but I have yet to find something that looks like it might be wrong or out of place. The only thing I can see that might be wrong is the ?pinion? gear on the motor. Some of the teeth look slightly worn or bent.

gertman
11-01-2002, 02:10 AM
So you were able to get the diff apart?

irc
11-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Once you take the diff apart you are commited to replace something? Do we know if you can purchase a new diff or any parts? I have one with a missing internal gear and it will not turn once it spins around to that gear.

gertman
11-01-2002, 01:06 PM
IRC,

how did it go "missing"? Fell out while you were running it, or when you were taking it apart?

Please explain; any pictures would also be great.

defto
11-04-2002, 09:53 PM
gertman, I emailed the place I purchased the Epoch from and that guy suggested the idea that the wheels might be spinning, you know how they just pop on and off. So he suggested gluing them on. This seems to me like it is the problem I was having, but if not, then I dont know.

gertman
11-04-2002, 10:11 PM
I don't know about that.......seems to me like if that were the problem, you would have noticed.

Hey, hay, WAIT a minute........just take off both rear wheels and see what it does. I think they'll still touch the floor. If not, putting light pressure on them while running should be the same.

If you do glue, try not to use something so permanent. You never know when you may need to remove those wheels.

Again, good luck. ;)

defto
11-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Okay, I took off the rear wheels, although I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking for. I started to run the motor and the gears and everything are catching fine. Once in a while tho I can see that it doesn't catch and I just hear the motor spin, and the diff doesn't move. When looking at the car from the back if I put light pressure with my finger on the right wheel, the motor spins and the gears dont move.

gertman
11-04-2002, 11:06 PM
?right wheel? The wheel nearest the diff?

With the rear wheels removed, could the hubs reach the ground? If so try running it and see what happens.........other wise out some light pressure on the wheels while the are spinning. If this induces the diff to "slip" then it's not loose wheels.

Try holding one wheel while running it, what happens? What about if you hold the other wheel? What does pressure inward on the wheel closest to the diff do, while running?

Until you give me some more answers on the stuff to try above.......Either tooth(s) are broken off one of the gears in the diff or it has some how come loos. I really doubt that it has come loose, I am thinking tooths are either broken or worn down from ware.

irc
11-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Gert,

I was cleaning my car with compressed air and spun the diff so fast it chiped a internal diff gear that is why I took mine apart. But is seams 3 out of the 5 Epochs I have have rough diff's?

gertman
11-04-2002, 11:27 PM
3 out of 5!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

YOU know, that's not so good.........come to think of it, that's TERRIABLE!!!!

It IS made in China you know!!!;)

How did you realize that you chipped a tooth? Any way, how many gears are inside that diff?

irc
11-04-2002, 11:35 PM
Yeah they work ok but they are rough. If I recall the diff has 3 bevel gears. Mine broke from abuse but I have had no problems with others breaking. I realized somethig was wrong so I checked it out and found a bevel geat cracked in the main spure gearcracked.The car says made in China on it? Still It is a great package for the money!

defto
11-05-2002, 12:17 AM
With both rear wheels removed the only the right hub(looking at the car from the back) touces the ground and when I run the car on my wood desk it gets some traction and the starts to spin(slowly) due to only the right side touching. Once I set the car on my mouse pad where the right hub gets more traction, I only hear the motor spin and the diff doesn't move nor the right hub. Now, holding the car up and running it with no pressure, everything spins fine and all the gears are working. With slight pressure on the right hub everything still spins fine, but just slower because of the pressure. On the left side( the side with the white gears) with slight pressure everything is fine, with a lot of pressure the gears stop and just the motor spins.

gertman
11-05-2002, 12:34 AM
OK so let me get this straight,

If you were to immobilize the left wheel, while running in the air, the right wheel would not turn?

Is that what happens with your car?

defto
11-05-2002, 01:24 AM
Yes that is correct.

gertman
11-05-2002, 01:31 AM
SHOOT :( :(

Sorry, I got nothing for yeah. Try and ask Tiny if he can get replacment parts. Something is terriably wrong with the gears in your diff.

Another thought is, the Yokomo car (the one that is smaller than the Epoch) may have a ball diff or at least a gear diff availble that you may be able to buy separately.

I would check into both. Sorry I can't help you anymore. I feel really bad for you.

defto
11-05-2002, 01:45 AM
Its okay, thanks for trying to help me though. I think I'm just gonna exchange it for another one, the guy said it was cool. This sucks. haha

gertman
11-05-2002, 04:34 PM
WOW :eek:

Even after you modified it with a 4cell pack, the guys going to let you exchange it. That really is COOL.

Taigerr
11-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by irc
Gert,

But is seams 3 out of the 5 Epochs I have have rough diff's?

WHOA!!! backthetruckup!!! :eek:

man I'm just about to purchase one of these... is this problem really that common??? are there any predisposing factors leading to this dodgy diff syndrome??

Does TINYrcSHOP have any comments to make ie how many people have had to return cars with this problem??

Anyone tried a yokomo (?balldiff?) yet??? (Not seen one yet but it is it a possible solution???)

hmmm this now leaves me shaken but not stirred the integra is still coming my way.... just concerned.

R|cer ><
11-25-2002, 02:48 PM
I just bought the Spec-1 Denso Supra GT and I have the same problem. No mods what-so-ever. Fresh charge, runs fine for 3-4 minutes and then it sputters....if I pick it up...its fine....put it back down....nada! This happened right out of the box with 6 brand new AA's and 1 brand new 9v. No abuse, no mods.

I'll keep my findings posted....please do the same. :D

irc
11-25-2002, 06:09 PM
Racer X, the diff problem I was refuring to has nothing to do with the sputtering. I was just refuring to the way the diff rotates it is just a little rough and has no effect on the performance of the car and it's no big problem. We have had noting but good reviews with the Epoch.

R|cer ><
11-25-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by irc
Racer X, the diff problem I was refuring to has nothing to do with the sputtering. I was just refuring to the way the diff rotates it is just a little rough and has no effect on the performance of the car and it's no big problem. We have had noting but good reviews with the Epoch.

irc- I never doubted that your reviews for the Epoch were anything less. I was just stating the fact that I have had similar problems with my Epoch.

All in all, its a great car. Mine is just a little screwed-up....for some reason.

Racer9
04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
What Yokomo car?