PDA

View Full Version : Initial dNaNo impressions- the car, upgrades and running on RCP

Sinister_Y
01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Below are my opinions and feedback on dNaNos, upgrades and running on RCP.

Finally got to unpack my Motul Z 2007 dNaNo and test it on our large RCP track. I love the size and looks. Time to try it out.

We run a large track since it's for Mini-Z as well. The track config size is currently 32 feet by 23 feet. (see attached pic)

Before I ran the car, I upgraded the bearings. The car ran pretty good considering it was bone stock except for the bearings. The car did push with the stock Kyosho tires though, but it was driveable, but definately could go faster. I also found that the car had some issues with some of the RCP tile joints. A quick walk around on the track (of course, I took off my shoes!) to push down any joints was done. The car did act unpredictably at times though.

Upgraded to PN 45 degree front tires:
Car did not push as much now. Much better steering response, but still encountered some times where the car reacted unpredictably. Keep in mind that I was not using a really smooth driving style on purpose, since I wanted to know more on how the car would react to throwing into the corners (agressive driving style). I think I will try kyosho 40's at some point as there is not enough steering for me. I always like to have too much mechnical steering and then tune it down on the controller. I think by upgrading front springs it will provide more steering too as I think what's probably happening is too much weight transfer to front and the car is rolling on the tire edge not the actual tires thus reducing the front traction. With a harder front spring, it shoud roll less, but not roll on the outside edge of the front rubber, meaning larger tire contact patch with the track. Will need to try that out in future too. Note that one of the racers at the track was doing much of the same upgrades as me at the same time. He was running the Audi R8 and Porsche 917. The Porsche definately outhandled the Audi. Also, he had issues with the PN tires in the front rubbing on the wheel wells (using stock plastic rims) as they were a little but wider than the plastic rim. This was not an issue with his Porsche nor was it an issue with my Z. The PN Tires fit fine.

Upgraded to Kyosho X-speed motor and aluminum rear hubs:
Used 9 tool pinion and stock spur gear. Car was noticeably faster, but nothing near what I was expecting. I was expecting a ballastic bullet like a mini-z with a mod motor. I say that the speed was close to a mini-z with a 70t PNWC stock motor. Pretty fast for a very small car, but nothing really mind-blasting (deliberate Russel Peters reference).

I think I'll go to 7 or 8t and see how the car works. I'll have to consult my motor expert to see what gearing I should be using. I used the 9t as I wanted to see what top speed was like (using stock diff gear).

Feedback on the dNaNo experience itself:
I really like the dNaNos. We had 4 guys running their dNaNos on the track at once, it was a hoot. Using the 50cm RCP was great too, since there was lots of space to do some cool passing moves. When the mini-z's came out, it was a little hairy as there were a couple of bumps, but the dNaNo cars are really solid.

For regular race nights, we separates cars out, usually beginners vs advanced drivers and now since we are carrying dNaNo's we would split them out too from mini-z, however it was just a training day last week.

I would totally recommend the dNaNos to anyone. I would also recommend the upgrades mentioned above.

Next on my list of stuff to try out is:

1) spring kit
2) t-plate kit
3) adj ball diff
4) aluminum front suspension plate set
5) alloy rims
6) different tire combos
7) different gearing options
8) other bodies

Sinister_Y
02-13-2010, 11:46 PM
So, took the car as noted in the 1st post and added hard front springs. Car had more steering but still not enough. Cornering speed was noticeably faster.

Then I upgraded to Kyosho med rear suspension plate. Much better again. No loss of rear traction, however still not enough steering although did have more cornering speed from spring upgrade.

Next upgrade will be the el-cheapo piece of foam under the rear window. Racers observed the car hopping on the high speed sweepers. This should put this in check as a workaround until PN releases their rear damper system.

Still other upgrades to test and provide feedback. Check back for updates.

Sinister_Y
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Did some more testing last Friday night; thought I'd update with my findings.

Previously, I had talked about how I was running the xspeed motor with a 9 tooth which is max gearing (for speed)and that Kyosho advised against that combo since it would stress the motor too much (i.e. too much load). So, changed to a 7 tooth (which is the max suggested by Kyosho for my Nissan Motul Z). Results were that the car was still pretty quick but noticableably slower top speed. Still pretty close to mini-z with 70t PNWC stock motor. Definately has more punch both low end and mid speed than with the previously selected 9t.

Front suspension woes:

When changing the pinion (as noted above), noticed that idiot me did not put the steering spacer back on beneath the upper tie bar. This basically meant that there was no front suspension travel under my previous test. So, fixed that and ran the car. Strangely enough, the car handled the same to me as it did with no front suspension travel..hmmm

Decided to upgrade to the aluminum front suspension package since I noticed that the stock plastic tended to flex. Time for a test run. The car was much more consistant in steering response. Still felt as though needed more front steering, so on to next upgrade.

New front tires- Kyosho 40's

Swapped out the PN 45 degree tires with some Kyosho 40's. The car felt much better, lots of steering now. So much in fact that it tended to start to corner entry oversteer. So trimmed down the steering radius on the controller to compensate. Better but still not the way I like it.

Put cheapie foam piece under rear window (above motor mount)

So, went ahead and put cheaper small square of foam under the rear window. As reported by other users this should lessen the rear end chatter (hoping) the cars do while cornering. Well, it worked pretty good. The car didn't hop around the track as much now. It seemed alot more settled. This is good fix until PN comes out with their damper plate system or I get my hands on the x-power or atomic DDS setup

Still had issues with corner entry oversteer, so changed rear suspension plate to soft Kyosho from med kyosho. Better but still had some oversteer issues. Will try PN plates next.

Next tests will also include PN aluminum rims.