PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade parts for beginners

XStream
11-20-2009, 05:19 PM
As an absolute dnano newbie I'm looking for some upgrade parts for my Porsche 911 GT3. I would like to have suggestions on brands and types (the save choices), since there are so many different choices. I know that I will have to find out things by myself, but I don't want to buy every possible option that exists.

I would like to get the following parts:

New tires and wheels

I would like to have alu wheels and tires with a compound that is recommended for my track. I'm racing on the new kyosho dnano home circuit, which uses hard pvc (similar to realtracks?)

I'm a bit confused after reading stuff about alu wheels which didn't support stock tires etc. I didn't expect many different sizes of tires. Therefore I would like to get a suggestion on wheels+tires that match.

Bearings

any suggestion is welcome

Differential

Could someone explain what a differential actually does?
Which non-stock diff is the most recommended one?

H-plates

I guess this is an easy choice since they are offered in sets with different types. I'm planning to get onces that I can order together with the other stuff.

I know that I'm asking alot at once and that many things will depend on personal taste and racing style, but it shouldn't make much difference since I'm completely new to rc racing.

MrNanoTrax
11-20-2009, 09:08 PM
wheels & tires: everyone's waiting on aluminum rims from PN Racing which should be released within the next 2-3 days. all PN Racing rims will be stock size so all tires meant for standard wheel sizes will fit. PN Racing & Atomic are the only aftermarket producers of tires for dNaNo at the moment.

diffs & bearings: check out my dNaNo Disection: Diffs & Bearings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wDm4PIYH6A) video for a good explanation. both are option parts that are required if you want top performance out of your dNaNo.

again, PN Racing & Atomic are the only aftermarket producers of good H-Plates (aka T-Plates) for dNaNo. all of these - of course - are available @ our online shop (https://shop.nanotrax.net). good luck and enjoy the hobby :D

Marcro
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
For rims, there are nice ones from Aluma-Tech as well. Those can be purchased from Real-Tracks seen elsewhere in this site.
But yea, the PN's look very nice and looking forward to them.
Look's like your list so far is dead on. Tires, and bearings are generally the first upgrades for ANY car and the Dnano is just the same. I'd then go for the differential, plates, springs, aluminum fronts and rears, THEN gyro and X-speed motor.

MrNanoTrax
11-21-2009, 12:19 AM
x-speed motor is really unnecessary for racing but cool to play around with... after you get the ball diff, you can pick up the extra spur gears (32t, 34t) to tune acceleration and top speed with the stock motor. gyro should probably be one of the first optional parts since driving without it can cause damage and frustration. JMHO ;)

pedrocamp
11-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Can't recommend tires since I race on the HT carpet surface but maybe Lornecherry or Arch could recommend ones for that surface. Anyway, we like Atomic 35 or 25 fronts and Kyosho 20 or 10 rears at the Mooresville NC store.

At our track in Mooresville the Kyosho diff is favored over the Atomic one. The ball diff is more efficient in putting down power. Similar to larger scale RC diffs and has the same effect as a limited slip in a 1:1 car.

Aluma Tech has two different type wheels, those for Auto Scale tires and those for race tires. The direct stock replacements are what you want for racing. As mentioned above, PNs will be out in a few days, and look very nice.

I checked prices at different bearing suppliers, single bearings from Boca, for example, weren't much cheaper than the Kyosho set and the ones on eBay, while cheaper, have been poorly rated by some.

We all use the Atomic FRP H plates here but I am sure the PN carbon ones would be a good option.

Have fun with your dNaNo, it is a great little car that races like a much larger one.

XStream
11-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the input.

The PN rims look great indeed, so I think I'll wait for them.

The nanotrax video's are very helpful, nice store btw. Too bad it's so far away :)

I already bought the gyro from the start, so that part is covered ;)