PDA

View Full Version : first major dNano upgrade...

MrNanoTrax
01-29-2009, 08:05 AM
i've got the Mazda 787 no. 55 and just completed and upgrade and report... more to come as the gyro won't be in for another 2 weeks. http://www.nanotrax.net/store/ ... uhh, where's the dnano smiley? ;)

-J-
01-29-2009, 10:13 AM
i've got the Mazda 787 no. 55 and just completed and upgrade and report... more to come as the gyro won't be in for another 2 weeks. http://www.nanotrax.net/store/ ... uhh, where's the dnano smiley? ;)

Interesting write-up. My next upgrade will definitely be the ball diff. All I've done to my F40 I picked up yesterday was install a ball bearing set.

I came to the same conclusion concerning the differences between the MM and the RM chassis, although I expected the opposite. I drove with a Mazda 787 at my Dnano shop today, and he'd gain on/pass me on the straights, but I'd gain on/pass him in the tighter sections of the track. I think the Mazda's longer wheelbase has something to do with it being more at home on the straights as well.

Couple questions ;):

Wouldn't the aluminum hubs cause for more rotating mass, therefore hindering top speed and acceleration?

If I need my dnano to have a little more steering authority, which tie rod should I try for a slight increase in steering authority over stock?

Do you know if there are different compound tires available or soon to be available?

Do I need a different motor mounting pod for the x-speed motor?

Your information is good, keep it coming.

One more thing, be sure to get some photos and video if you can of your club race. Thanks for the help.

MrNanoTrax
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
actually, aluminum is very light and any differences in it & plastic can be compensated for in other areas such as tires & diff settings. as i was saying, its attributes are more geared towards driving smoothness and behavior overall as opposed to acceleration. greater weight affects acceleration but doesn't hinder top speed as heavier cars often have higher top speeds.

tie rods in the dnano are based on the particular model one is driving, but if you're looking to mix them up, a shorter tie rod will allow for more extreme steering though i wouldn't recommend mixing them nor do i even know if its possible... i try to stay away from radical mods.

there are 5 different tire compounds from soft to hard and i do have some in stock now. unfortunately, the selection is very limited, i'm ordering everything and taking what i can get :)

nope, stock & xspeed are drop-in changes but just as they recommnd in the docs, i wouldn't touch anything faster than stock if you don't have a gyro unit.

no worries, i'll have wifey shoot vids tomorrow during the race... thanks for the feedback :D

-J-
01-30-2009, 01:58 AM
tie rods in the dnano are based on the particular model one is driving, but if you're looking to mix them up, a shorter tie rod will allow for more extreme steering though i wouldn't recommend mixing them nor do i even know if its possible... i try to stay away from radical mods.

I'll play with them a little. I'll see if there are any options where I don't have to modify the chassis. I'll also have to make sure the wheels don't rub on the inside of the body.

there are 5 different tire compounds from soft to hard and i do have some in stock now. unfortunately, the selection is very limited, i'm ordering everything and taking what i can get :)

How do the stock tires compare to the compounds of the option tires?

nope, stock & xspeed are drop-in changes but just as they recommnd in the docs, i wouldn't touch anything faster than stock if you don't have a gyro unit.

Using a gyro is kinda cheating... ;)

no worries, i'll have wifey shoot vids tomorrow during the race... thanks for the feedback :D

Can't wait to see 'em!

MrNanoTrax
01-30-2009, 02:35 AM
its not cheating if everyone has one ;) ... stock tires also very on each model. you can see what tires are available and what tires are installed on a particular model as "stock" on kyosho's support page (http://www.kyosho.com/eng/support/instructionmanual/dnano/dnano.html). choice of tire is heavily dependent on the surface your car is racing on... so yes, depending on the conditions, the option tires can be a lot different than stock.

-J-
01-30-2009, 04:14 AM
its not cheating if everyone has one ;)

True. I don't like them, but a lot of my buddies run them. It's all personal opinion.

stock tires also very on each model. you can see what tires are available and what tires are installed on a particular model as "stock" on kyosho's support page (http://www.kyosho.com/eng/support/instructionmanual/dnano/dnano.html). choice of tire is heavily dependent on the surface your car is racing on... so yes, depending on the conditions, the option tires can be a lot different than stock.

Thanks for the link. That's helpful. I like how they made each car have it's own characteristics, unlike mini-zs.

-J-
01-30-2009, 08:37 PM
How'd the race go?

MrNanoTrax
01-31-2009, 02:02 AM
How'd the race go?

it went good... i mean, i was competing against sponsored drivers but its always to run against people better than you in order to improve yourself. 5th place out of 9, i'll have video and a report as soon as i get the video off the cam ;)

-J-
01-31-2009, 07:42 AM
it went good... i mean, i was competing against sponsored drivers but its always to run against people better than you in order to improve yourself. 5th place out of 9, i'll have video and a report as soon as i get the video off the cam ;)

Cool. Can't wait.

MrNanoTrax
02-01-2009, 08:38 PM
video is up --> PRC dNano Race One (http://www.nanotrax.net/store/)

-J-
02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I was just reading your blog, saw the news about PRC. That'll be pretty cool! :cool: I also saw the thing about not being able to sell to anyone outside of Thailand! That sucks. When you're in Hong Kong, you should come to the dnano store here, and bring one of your dnanos. We've got a great track and a decent amount of parts.

MrNanoTrax
02-09-2009, 06:10 PM
when i go to hong kong, i'll buy a new dnano ;) ... i've seen the dnano shop in HK & hope that ours here in Pattaya will be just as nice

-J-
02-10-2009, 02:32 AM
when i go to hong kong, i'll buy a new dnano ;) ... i've seen the dnano shop in HK & hope that ours here in Pattaya will be just as nice

I'm sure yours will be just as good. :)

fraz
02-10-2009, 06:54 PM

I like what you're doing down there. Maybe you can talk to Kyosho and get the first dNano Worlds down there cause I need another really good reason to come visit Thailand:)

-J-
02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I like what you're doing down there. Maybe you can talk to Kyosho and get the first dNano Worlds down there cause I need another really good reason to come visit Thailand:)

I was just thinking the same thing.

MrNanoTrax
02-11-2009, 02:18 AM
thanks for the kind words... just getting the shop open is a big project & a huge investment but we'll definitely look forward to hosting big events in the future. baby steps first! ;) ... i'm looking to possibly incorporate other models into the sales/racing scheme namely the mini-z but i'll have to see where kyosho is going with dnano/mini-z in the future. by the end of this year, we will have 2 fully operational, 8mx4m modular, competition tracks available at the shop and a regular racing schedule. we will offer many services including d-nano/mini-z rental for those not ready to take the "buy all out" step. i'm really excited but patience is key in the success of the lounge.