PDA

View Full Version : Pull to Fly!

PureGrain
11-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Sorry I meant to put this in the Flight section!

Well, this is hard to think about starting as far as a thread. But I figured this would be a great place to put it.

Ok, my son had a $1.00 toy he got from Dollar tree or some place like that. He had broke it the first 5 mins he got it. It is a helocopter that you pull the cord on it and it flys up in the air. Very simple device really. I am sure you have seen one or played with one before at one time or another. Just attatch it to the little launch device, pull the cord and up it goes.

Well, as I said, he broke it, the cord device had stripped gears and was not working any longer. So it was fair game to take apart. "hehe"

Now, on to what I done to it.

I took it apart and checked for space and was still not totally sure the idea would work but took off anyways, nothing to loose. ;o)

I had to cut away some of the extra alignment molding on the inside that the original prop used and that was about it structurally. I then devised a way to hook up a nice servo motor that I robbed from a West Coast Choppers RC bike my kids tore up last year. I took the whole unit including the receiver and all. It had an additional servo that was connected to control the steering but I removed it for now. If he had not tore the tail off the chopper I would have rigged it up to the tail. ;o)

Anyways, it took me some serious time and stress management skills to get through the project but 6.5 hours later I am here.

The shaft mechanics alignment was a kinda of PITA due to attatching the prop to the small servo but I finally got it well enough to work. It wobbles a bit but hey, no one is perfect. I have some pics and will post them up if this forum allows it. If not I will just host them on my website and link them up.

No, it does not fly yet thanks to the added weight but once I get the right prop it should. If not maybe I will just get a bigger motor and add a larger batt pack. It will almost lift off the ground but not a flight. ;o)

I have a nice airplane with two sweet motors in it and once I wreck it enough to call it a waist I will build a bigger helo.

Anyways. Just showing what my day was like.

:)
Pic 1: Shows the copter apart
Pic 2: Shows the back where I made sure the recharger can be attatched
Pic 3: Shows the copter with the radio
Pic 4: Shows what one of the bikes looks like before taking it apart
Pic 5: Show my messy table beside my lazy chair where I been repairing and tinkering all weekend. :P

PureGrain
11-26-2006, 09:35 PM
I should have added this earlier, but i decided to give you something to compare the size too. So I set my ZZ beside it while it was fully assembled this time.

Let me know what you think!

Azimov
11-28-2006, 01:13 AM
How heavy is that body? It looks like a good conversion body for a PicooZ. If it's light enough, I may take a look at em the next time I'm in the store.
Thanks for the post and I'll move it to micro flight for you.

PureGrain
11-29-2006, 06:55 AM
The body is not heavy at all, and it actually took flight as a pull toy, but I cannot get it off the ground as it is now. I think with the battery and motor weight it is a bit much. I have since started on another project with a larger motor and a 20oz Mt. Dew plastic bottle. ;o) I have the motor mounted and centered in the cap area and secured with Spray Foam. Now to see if I can get the receiver and battery seated into it. hoping it will not be too much weight. I also added some extentions to the propeller to give it more lift. After christmas I plan on buying a few helo's from RS to get a better idea of how these things tick.

Michael.mt2k
11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Cool project!

Considering how little weight it had to begin with, what if you convert your motor and battery into some kind of a launcher? That way the craft can leave the motor and batteries behind kind of like it did originally.

PureGrain
11-30-2006, 07:01 PM
That would be cool I guess, but I have destroyed the shaft used for the launch mechanism. Thanks for the idea though.