PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Wheel Options

frizzen
06-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Did you know it's possible to make ANY set of ZZ/ZZ-SE hubcaps work with your monster truck rims?

http://bitpimps.lixlink.com./pages/phpGallery/albums/userpics/10088/RimOptions.jpg

I'm not gonna have the *real* tutorial up for a while, but here's the starting point. Pics later.

27/64" drill.
1/4" drill. (roughly)
flat file / sandpaper / knife / something to gnaw off plastic
4 ZZ-M rims
4 ZZ hubcaps
Some free time

Warning, this does make it impossible to stick the new hubcap pucks back onto a ZZ. This is one method of doing this, there are other methods you could use, I won't explain those. Do at own risk, don't blame me. If you screw up your parts, hope you learn from it. Don't attempt if you shouldn't be trusted with tools.

1. Use big drill on all 4 rims.

2. Use (file/sandpaper/knife/gnawing animal) to remove the index tab and the 3 pins off each of 4 hubcaps.

3. Use 1/4" drill to countersink (not through-hole) the back (inboard side, where the 3 pins used to live) of the hubcaps until they clear the lugnuts well enough the hubcap sits flush in rim. Do one at a time.

4. Hubcaps should simply press fit into rims.

5. To remove, push gently on one side of hubcap, it should rotate the opposite side up, gently pry raised side with something pointy.

Michael.mt2k
06-29-2006, 06:07 PM
That is really nice.
I have to go dig mine out now and see what works with what.

Azimov
07-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Simple, elegant, and neat. Well done.