PDA

View Full Version : Project Offroad

Steve
03-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Started modding an SE for offroad use. The rear end now has suspension with LOTS of throw, and it articulates as well. It was pretty simple, the trick being a plastic hinge designed for airplane(?) use. Now that the general concept is working, I'm toying with the idea of side springs to buffer the articulation. Then comes the front end...yikes!

Steve
03-22-2006, 04:45 PM
close up

Steve
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
susp1

Steve
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
susp2

Steve
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
art

frizzen
03-23-2006, 07:45 AM
How about some more info on that hinge?

Man, that takes the Dirty Bit suspension to a whole new level!!!

:eek:

Steve
03-23-2006, 12:06 PM
DU-BRO Nylon Hinge. Did a quick search and came up with the following link.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=DUB119/101.0

Steve
03-27-2006, 03:11 PM
some progress...

frizzen
03-27-2006, 04:44 PM
*struggles to pry my jaw off the floor* :eek:

That is so wicked!!!!!!!!!!!

zzultimate
04-02-2006, 05:31 PM
WOW! amazing! Can you tell us a little about the front end?

Steve
04-03-2006, 01:58 PM
The A-arms are just spring steel, the shock towers brass. It needs much smaller springs, but the travel is such that the springs need to be really long...can't find any yet. The steering servo was turned upright to allow centering of the battery, However, now there is no place for the PCB. The steering servo has an arm on it now, ready for a tie rod and ball end setup.

This car and project will soon be in the hands of Jazz32, hopefully he'll continue to tinker.

Jazz32
04-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Steve
The A-arms are just spring steel, the shock towers brass. It needs much smaller springs, but the travel is such that the springs need to be really long...can't find any yet. The steering servo was turned upright to allow centering of the battery, However, now there is no place for the PCB. The steering servo has an arm on it now, ready for a tie rod and ball end setup.

This car and project will soon be in the hands of Jazz32, hopefully he'll continue to tinker.

I will continue to tinker... this length of customization is something I have not done in the past, but I look forward to it.

Snake Mod
04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Hope you can finish Steve's magnificent job Jazz32. IF you do use a pcb, use a motorworks one, it allows for more torque so you can give a very powerful motor and it can take it.:cool:

Jazz32
04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
He's already set up the front steering with the gear box from an SE. i think part of the offroading portion was to use digital controls. I'm looking forward to getting the stuff and seeing what I can do!! With motorworks, remember, i only have 2 right now w/o a remote to run either. Though I still haven't tried all the types of remotes i have.

I'm confident that with my soldering skills, I will be able to do some fet mods once i get some $$$ to buy some. Who knows... maybe i'll use a zzmt or a SS motor with this thing.

frizzen
04-04-2006, 03:07 AM
An SE with a DC mod (and Fets if you're really crazy) should be more than capible of smoking a Motorworks, plus with the 6 steps each way it'll be a lot easier to control offroad than the 1 step each way of a Motorworks.

And if you want more torque, just toss in a ZZ-M motor instead of the standard ZZ motors. Give you enough torque that you could get by with Direct drive or like a Kitt Racer gearing.

Snake Mod
06-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Jazz32 have you had the time to finish the job yet? or collecting dust?

Jazz32
06-19-2006, 07:53 PM
There were problems with this chasis.... it looks good in the pictures but not so good in your hands.

First, the front springs are too stiff and catch half the time. Second, with the rear suspension, where it pivots, the axle actually doesn't really move. In other words, it effectively doesn't do anything and just looks pretty. Third, the way he had the front steering was not going to work without axles that can't adjust their size as they move.

I'm not sure what to do with it :(

Snake Mod
06-19-2006, 08:06 PM
awww...that sucks we need an offroad zip zap. Has their been an actual lifted like tires and axle not just the body?