PDA

View Full Version : ZZMT motor torque

pspjunkie
03-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I have had a ZZMT for over a year but never really used it, especially because of my mini-T :D , but a few days ago I started modding it (its like a whole new truck!)

I just have one quick question. do the higher speed motors have less torque than the lower speed motors. if so, that would mean that the green motor has the highest amount of torque, even tho its the slowest right?

makg
03-12-2006, 09:10 PM
some people say it does, some dont. I say put the fastest motor in and put the green gears in it. you could also put a second motor, but if your like me, you'll do just fine w/out it.;)

Jazz32
03-13-2006, 01:13 PM
The red motor has the most torque. An easy way to measure is by holding the rear tires, pressing forward, and seeing at what angle the motor can hold the truck in the air. With my quad cell, the red motor was the only one that could completely spin the truck around.

pspjunkie
03-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Ok thanx 4 the help

where is the best place to get extra cells, or a bigger battery or whatever? and do u have to mod the electronics for a quad cell?

Jazz32
03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
I bought a whole bunch of 1/3 AAA off of ebay a long time ago. The electronics can handle 4 cells. You could take two batteries from another truck. The 1/3 AAA I have are slightly bigger than the ones in the truck.

You can still get them from Ebay, I'm not sure where else. I bought 150 for $25 back in the day, so I haven't had to worry about getting more since.

I also added a dpdt switch and wired it up to switch between parallel and series connection between 2 packs. This way I can still charge it on the base controller, only I charge 3 times. Then I flip the switch to run at 4.8V and she flies. I added a 9 tooth pinion to make it faster too. That truck is a lot of fun.

pspjunkie
03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks. thats pretty kool.

have u ever tried a 22 tooth pinion?
it was pretty crazy, but with only the stock battery it took like 4-5 feet to get up to speed and I couldnt really do anything with it.

Jazz32
03-14-2006, 03:07 PM
22 tooth would take entirely too long. With my quad cell and 9 tooth, I can still spin the tires going from reverse to forward. On a smooth floor you can spin it all over, like you can dance with it. it's super fun. I have a slightly extended chasis with a 10 tooth pinion. It's pretty fast, but needs to be fet moded for it to have the accel I want.

hothotheat
03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
does the 22 tooth have any torque prob. not huh.....

Jazz32
03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by hothotheat
does the 22 tooth have any torque prob. not huh.....

The fact that he said it took 4-5 feet to reach speed means that there was definitely a torque problem.

hothotheat
03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
i said prob. but things happen for strange reasons

pspjunkie
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
It did take a while to get to speed, but it was kinda fun tho. It was good for jumping if you had a nice smooth straight-a-way like a kitchen floor.

but it slowed way down when turning cuz it couldnt handle the slight extra bit of stress (and the 4wd stuff was even taken out too) lol. It might have been good with a mod battery or the fet mod, I was running mine with 100% stock electronics.

Jazz32
03-28-2006, 11:00 PM
It would probably help if that 22 tooth pinion was used with the higher torque red motor. Multi-cell and fet mods would definately give you a boost.

When I run my quad cell with the packs in parallel and the 9 tooth, it seems really slow. Flip that sucker to series and 4.8 volts and it flies. You should definately try it.

Michael.mt2k
04-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Use a regular ZZ pinion gear drilled out for the larger motor shaft.
That will give improved torque.