PDA

View Full Version : Can i put solder on the steering coils??

SPEED
10-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Well, the PCB on my bit died on me (to much POT adjusting) so i decided to put the PCB from a clone bit in the TOMY chassis. The transfer of PCB's worked great, but i accidently broke one of the wires on the coil when i took it out of the clone chassis (on the coil itself not a wire leading from the coil, but on the coil itself). The range is AWSOME with this new ste up, but not i can't turn right!!! Is it possible to put a small glob of solder on the coil where the break is so it will work?? Or am i stuck with a left turn only bit?

SPEED
10-23-2002, 12:33 AM
anyone???

MTL
10-23-2002, 02:43 AM
try it!! :D
i woulda solderd the wires together...if not, then i woulda gave up on it like my dead ZZ

NorCalCoug
10-23-2002, 03:25 AM
I fixed my broken bit at the race on saturday this way; just re-soldered the angel-hair thin wire back onto the PCB.

SPEED
10-23-2002, 05:49 PM
Actually the break is on the coil itself not from the wire leading from the coil. I don't know if this will wreck the steering..

SPEED
10-24-2002, 01:55 AM
well i managed to unwind part of the coil to fin the break, so now i'm goint ot try to solder the lose end to the PCB. If that doesn't work i'm going to use a spare coil i found. Wish my luck!!!

QFM Racing
10-26-2002, 01:49 AM
Well I dunno if this sounds logical, but this happened to my car. When I soldered the two thin red wires together, it didnt work. So I removed the broken redwire coming from the PCB, and soldered a long piece of solder from the PCB to the what was left of the red wire coming frorm the coil and it DID work. Go figure.

SPEED
10-26-2002, 11:04 PM
nevermind.......i got it to work!!!!! I found a spare coil from a clone and soldered that to the PCB.....now my bit is a BIT/BULLET CLONE HYBRID!!! Now i have like 20 feet of range!!!!!

mikey-flies
11-07-2002, 10:22 PM
Goto an electronics store and look for enamel magnet wire. The thin stuff is exceptionally harsh to work with though :)

SuperShot
11-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Glad to hear it worked. :)

But in general I would say watch the heat though.

A lot of the time when you solder, if you are not very careful, you will melt part of the insulation. If you solder directly on the coil, you could melt all of the insulation and fuse the coil into a lump, thus destry
I would recommend unspooling a bit from the coil as you did and solder that to the PCB whenever possible. The wire is too thin to transfer much heat back to the coil.