PDA

View Full Version : zz battery upgrade WORTH EVERY PENNY!

lnx_author
10-17-2002, 06:29 PM
sorry if this sounds so enthusiastic, but i didn't realize how much of an improvement doing a simple upgrade (from 100->120Nmih) was...

just popped a 120 into each car, and now i get nearly 15 minutes (i know, some of you get more) of runtime... had to bend the + tab in a bit, 'cause the batteries are shorter (and one benefit - weigh less)...

not bad for $2 per car (and yes, i know you can get the batteries cheaper, and yes, i know there are other batteries you can put in, and yes, i know you can double 'em up, etc.)...

but you have to do the mod before you can experience the benefits... the upgrade was painless, easy, non-destructive, and really makes the zz a cool little toy...

i'm just wondering how this simple change more than quadruples the run time? amazing!

just my US$0.02

mechanist
10-17-2002, 08:58 PM
where did you buy the batteries?

lnx_author
10-17-2002, 09:18 PM
http://www.maxxprod.com/

Non-Sanyo NH-120AAA, Nimh, 120mah, 10.0x15.0(mm), 4g

$2 ea... order a bunch to make the shipping worth it... (a bit overpriced S/H, but not outrageous)

the careful thing to watch when ordering on-line is the dimension of the battery... these are a tad shorter, but fit perfectly if you slightly bend the + tab in...

i now have spare 100Nimh batteries; i suppose i'll end up doing a dual-battery mod one day on one of the zz carriages...

but don't some of the other mini-rc cars from other manufacturers only come with nicads? perhaps other racers might need a 100Nimh?

(guess i'll have to peruse the FAQs again)

and maybe try one or two of the Nimh batteries offered by tinyrc.com?

:-)

lnx_author
10-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by swifttiger
i am new to this forum. i am not familiar with the batteries. i went to the link and i was not sure, do i get the batteries with or without a tap. is it easy to replace the battery?

don't get the tabbed batteries... if you open up your zz, you'll see that the original battery is untabbed... (take a look at the 150Nimh offered here at tinyrc.com to see what the battery looks like)...

yes, the mod is easy - but be careful when opening your zz... pop the two latches (don't break them), then slightly lift up the clear cover and PCB *just enough* to wedge out the original battery... then bend in the + tab a bit, slide in your new battery, close up, charge, and enjoy!

mjrusso45
10-18-2002, 01:29 PM
Sounds pretty painless. I am trying to get a group of friends to go in with me to order a bunch.

What is the run time gain, and is the battery any lighter than the one that came with the Zipzap? (i.e. does the car go faster now, as well as longer?)

lnx_author
10-18-2002, 01:35 PM
- as others will tell you:

no speed improvement, but longer run time... it all depends on the motor you use and how many times you charge before a run... but i'm getting 15 minutes per 2 charges on green motor

- the batteries are lighter (haven't weighed 'em, but they're same diameter, but shorter)

- the batteries are Nimh, same type as originals...

- you may want to search for comments from others who have purchased the Nimh from tinyrc.com; i believe others will echo what i have experienced - noticeably longer runtime on a one-for-one swapout of the original zz battery...

here's the difference (with the original on the left and the new one on the right, sitting behind my PT w/an LED mod and mobo pin switch):

http://www.tux.org/~bball/zz/100120.jpeg

- all in all, a cheap, inexpensive mod in keeping with the zz philosophy: lots of fun, lot of mods, lots of options for less bucks out of pocket...

mechanist
10-18-2002, 03:34 PM
NiMH batts don't have a memory effect from what I understand. One reason they are preferable to NiCd.

hogjowlz
10-18-2002, 03:50 PM
nimh and nicd both have memory effects. neither are that bad. the worst things you can do to rechargable batteries are :

1: letting your battery drain all way way constantly and leaving it drained for long periods of time. it is always better to completly charge it and leave it charged if possible.

2: overcharge, if the battery is warm it is full dont put anymore juice in there.

also you are supposed to periodically "prime" nickel based batteries by discharging and filling and discharging and filling but that doesnt need to be done more than once a month or so.

so by these general rules, zipzaps are hard on batteries. i wont be surprised in a few months when my batteries stop holdin a charge.

spradlinb
10-18-2002, 06:13 PM
I completely agree about the replacement battery! I picked up a MicroQ on eBay (which I've read in other forums are a pretty good clone version, if not perfect) and he added one of these batteries as well. I wasn't sure how well it would work, so I hadn't installed it until I read this thread... so I popped open my ZZ, pulled out the battery clip to bend it in a bit more, and put the new battery in. Charged it up, set it down and started running.

and running...

and running...

:)

I actually managed to get slightly bored with running it in circles BEFORE the battery ran out! I'm going to have to get a few more, one for the MicroQ and another for spare or another Micro sometime in the future. Very much worth the time and effort though!

Oh, I also modded my controller with the small screw clamps from an old printer cable so that my thumbs don't hurt anymore... really love the stuff in this forum!

Cheers.

Cyslyde
10-18-2002, 06:33 PM
nimh and nicd both have memory effects. neither are that bad. the worst things you can do to rechargable batteries are :

the NiMh battery is Much Less Likely to develop a memory because theye are more complete unlike cadium. the reason batteries develop memory is because tehy crystalize due to over/under charging, it is best to periodically fully discharge and then recharge your battery to provide the longest life without developing a memory.
-=cy

Timmz69
10-19-2002, 01:31 AM
Radio shack doesn't carry any batteries like those?

lnx_author
10-19-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Timmz69
Radio shack doesn't carry any batteries like those?

radio shack doesn't carry a lot of things (far fewer than it used to, as well)...

it has reduced offerings to less than one-fifth of previous catalogs in some areas, such as electronic components...

and whereas electronic hobbyists could previously use a Radio Shack part number as a given component in project designs with some guarantee that the part would always be available, this is no longer the case... parts appear and then disappear from the catalog...

it's kinda sad, really... but then again, a lot of people don't remember radio shacks' real roots:

cow hides (Tandy Leather) and HAM radio (Archer Kits)...