PDA

View Full Version : My New track and a pic of my work area

zydio
01-05-2005, 12:57 AM
ok heres my first micro track ive made, and a pic of my cars and work area, i made the track on the track maker software. its simple but very challenging and fun. ive only raced 3 cars at once on it and it can get crazy, im wonderin if i should try 4 or even 6. ive found it near impossible to drive this track with the non SE zip zaps and other micros. the zip zaps SE is far superior as far as control and handling and speed. the three cars that we race on it are box sotck. stock motor, gears and tires. that is the perfect setup for this track. we have tried faster motors but its not as fun.

if someone is interested in me making tracks for them out of these materials i will build them for what it cost me plus $10 for making it and how ever much it costs to ship. this track is cut in half and the barriers are cut where it folds up. there is velcro on the under side so you can just pick it up and it folds on its own or you can take the velcro off to seperate it. let me know what you guys think. oh yea this surface is cardboard and it works perfectly for grip no slides. the only way i can explain how the surface hooks up is like a perfectly tuned 10th scale onroad car on a indoor carpet track haulin ass around the track just stuck too it.

zydio
01-05-2005, 12:58 AM
pic 1

zydio
01-05-2005, 12:58 AM
pic 2

zydio
01-05-2005, 12:59 AM
pic 3

zydio
01-05-2005, 01:00 AM
pic 4

damootch
01-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Nice track. Looks like fun. I like the portability/easy storage feature. Is it black cardboard or did you paint it?
How wide is the track? If you wanted to race more cars you could make the track a little wider. Overall I like it. Nice long front stretch and a couple of hair-pin turns to boot.
Looks like a recipe for some tight racing. :D

I wish I thought ahead and made my track easier to store away. It's a 4X8' sheet of plywood with stick-on floor tiles on it. I used a combination of 1/2"id PVC and 1/2" water hose for the walls. I used some indoor/outdoor carpet for a grass effect. I can prop it up against the wall if I want to get it out of the way. But most of the time I just leave it on the floor. It's made of mostly flooring materials, so I don't feel too bad about walking on it. BTW: I use a stock set-up too. you are right the faster motors aren't as much fun. Way too fast! ( for my track )

I'll post some pics if you want to check it out......

zydio
01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
yea the cardboard came in that color i got it at hobby lobby, they had blue, red, white, yellow and green and black. the whole track is 4' x 6' i took the trackmaker grid and decided that it would be appropriate size if each square in the grid is 1' x 1' and i just marked a dot on the track every foot horizontal and vertical. then just lined up the pieces. the individual pieces of the cardboard are 4' x 3' so it does tuck away in the closet nicely. the only thing is that i have like 7 gp3300 packs wieghing it down on the corners, i need ot find somethin else but i havent found anything yet. yea dude let me se some pics of yours i wanna see how your grass turned out too i might add some to mine.

damootch
01-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Here's the track......

damootch
01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
and another view......

damootch
01-06-2005, 07:02 PM
I got the carpet at Home Depot. I went for the indoor/outdoor carpet, but they have a few different choices. They carry some stuff that is like astro-turf. There was a couple of different types of the turf-like stuff.
I hope this helps......

zydio
01-07-2005, 05:32 AM
dude your track kicks ass, yea i went to home depot today to get some stuff to build another track, i saw that astro turf stuff and decided to get it when i finish my other track. im making one with the exact layout as the first but with tiles like you are using but different color and slightly different texture and some water hose. im using peg board underneath instead of cardboard. ive been workin on this track since 9 pm tonight and am just now going to sleep. its 530 am here, ha. also to make it easier to work with the peg board i decided to make all the corners that are rounded in like in the pics of my other track i am making them square. i dont know how this one will turn out but i know it will grip way better than my other one. even though i dont know how it could get much better than it already does. i should be finished with it tomorrow sometime. i have to get some longer zip ties as they arent long enough to go around the water hose. heres a pic of the progress, i just put the zip ties i had on there to see if it all lined up right. its taken me so long cuz the tiles i got had like a 1/8th inch fake mortar boder around them and i had to cut that off.

zydio
01-07-2005, 05:33 AM
up close pic of tile

damootch
01-07-2005, 10:28 PM
dude your track kicks a$$

Thanks. I appreciate your compliment.
I was going to suggest you glue your cardboard track to a piece of thin wood like luan or masonite. I see you had bigger plans. I like the peg-board idea. I think it will work really well with the zip ties. It's like pre-drilled. When I first read about the stick on tiles I thought they sounded too slippery, but when I saw them at H Depot i thought different. They turned out to be grippy. I have to dust/vacuum the track often, the dust makes my zips spin out. (yeah-I am kind of anal)
I like the configuration of your other track. I am glad you decided to try it again.

After I finished my track. I wasn't quite happy with it. I tore part of it up to reconfigure it and add the pit lane. You can see in the pics where I changed it. Just look for the oddball tile. I had a turn there, but I wanted a long straight. Unfortunately, I cut curves out of the corners of the tiles. So I had to compensate with a kind of dog-leg.

Man you pulled an all nighter, huh? It took me like 2 weeks to finish mine. I took my time. Post some pics of your progress. I want to see how your new track turns out!!

BTW: my b-day is nov 3 too.

zydio
01-07-2005, 11:25 PM
ok, i finally finished it, tested it out and there is absolutely nothing worng with it but i seem to prefer my cardboard more for some reason, i think its cuz of the way the cars sound on it. plus i have gotten used to the way it handles on there and im pretty good at it. the track turned out rather nicely, but i think i am going to part with it. i am selling it for exactly what i paid for the materials. not charging a dime for all the effort put into it not that it was an extreme amount just time consuming. the turns on each side had to be cut wierd to make it fit the three sections and still make it easy to put together. me and my girlfriend were driving around on it for about an hour and it was fun its just that we are so used to the cardboard one and she is part of the reason im sticking to the old one too cuz she really dont like the new one. it works very wel land has exxelent grip i couldnt get my car to spin out for anything. i added some traction lines, (tiny lines made with exacto across the lanes of the track going against the floew of traffic. I.E. if the cars go left to right the lines are up and down. it works exxellent. but anyway im selling the track for $40 plus $20 shipping. i acually spent more than that if you include tax. plus i know its gonna cost more than $20 to ship it.

so $60 shipped to your door for a brand new track that easilly tucks away in small area in a closet. each section is 2 ft. x 4 ft.

the total track dimensions are: 4 ft. x 6 ft.

let me know if yo uare interested. i also accept paypal.

if nobody wants it in a week its goin on ebay. im going to make a thread just for the sale of this track as well.

zydio
01-07-2005, 11:49 PM
the start, finish line is a piece of tape that is written on so you can easilly remove it and make your own where you want it.

zydio
01-12-2005, 04:17 PM
i guess nobody wants this track so ebay it goes