PDA

View Full Version : Look Here!! killer X!

ben1112
09-27-2004, 09:09 AM
I'm going on a new project. i have in mind a mini x that runs on 6 cells and twin 130 motors. i have drawn some pictures but can only upload them tomorrow. it is a mod of the centre chassis and the front and rear diff portion will be chopped and joint onto the new chassis.

Now, what i need is to know whether twin 130 motors are fast compared to a slightly larger motor. The aim is to acheive overall good torque and fast top speed. I have in mind two 130 motor in series powered by 7.2 OR maybe 8.4v

I need feedback on the motor configuration and maybe chassis layout and such.

Pictures/Drafts will be up tmr.

equipment used;
hitec hs-55 servo
twin stock motors(for the moment)
pn racing bb can
pn racing carbon brush
Sanyo 800 mah

cdog4w
09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
How are you going to power the motors? Going to wire them both to the speed control? Seen a few people with this idea, so maybe you can be the one to get it working :P

Good to see some movement in the Mini-X forum!

ben1112
09-28-2004, 08:07 AM
Here are some drawings. can anyone tell me will motors in series work good? more torque? good rpm? i need feedback to continue;)

cdog4w
09-28-2004, 11:25 AM
I don't think you'd gain anything from 2 motors in that configuration. I had thought you were doing away with the shaft between front/back and putting a motor up front and a motor in back...

Anyway, it will be really tough mounting a shaft like that because there is no built in location to support the shaft. In the stock model it works because its the motor arm and the motor are in the rear. I know since I tried it :P
http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18757

I gave up on it, it was too much stress on the mini-x ESC and getting the shaft to stay and move freely was not working very well. Don't let me discourage you though, other people have gotten it to work, I'm just saying its not easy.

ben1112
09-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Haha, the problems you posted arent really a problem, because the shaft will be supported by the little shaft support in the front that screws onto the bottom. i will get another one to fit for the rear. both will be ball raced. im not using that mini x esc. using futaba mc220cr. no strain at all, if it can handle 540 motors, 130 should not be a prob at all.

So the twin motor are not useful at all? no extra torque? i think i may opt for a micro motor and change the layout to something like aveman'sb1spd :btc: bc36m :bsh: :bss: b27m :bcell: nnrx7y

cdog4w
09-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ben1112
because the shaft will be supported by the little shaft support in the front that screws onto the bottom. i will get another one to fit for the rear. both will be ball raced.

I did that, problem is that you have to make a new hole in the rear. That mount was never as solid as the front since it wasn't a machine cut hole.

The real ESC will definitely help, and avenan has a nice ride, good choice to emulate :P

Keep me posted on how this progresses.

ben1112
09-30-2004, 05:49 AM
you can use a bench drill to make a good hole and a countersunk bit to make it an exact hole like the front.

The project is CANCELLED!!!

i put my mini x in my bag and apparently it fell out at some point of my journey on my way home. i lost the main chassis, pn racing bb can, futaba mc230cr esc and 6 sanyo 800 cells.

Dont know whether can i consider this lucky, i removed the front rear diff, receiver arms and everything except the main chassis.

I may not be carrying out this project in the near future as i do not have the budget to buy the who chassis again and another esc.

xemet
10-15-2004, 11:52 AM
however...for the future...

You can't mount two motors in series because they don't run at the same speed in this way. You have to mount them in parallel (+ with + and - with -). In this way you have double torque, but the same end-speed.
You can't increase end-speed of one motor mounting two motors instead of one. Because end-speed is determined by voltage...and it is always 7.2 volt. You can increase torque.

Another problem with your project is the gear system you have drawn. In this way you have a bigger gear on the motor and the same original 8T gear in the shaft...In this way you will dramatically reduce the speed of your car. You should mount the same number of teeth in the shaft and in the motor.
Another problem is that motors in this configuration must run in opposite direction...and you should verify that rpm on the two motors are the same...

keep in mind these thing if you will realyze it in the future :)

bye