PDA

View Full Version : MegaChar-G III - A 3 Cell Mod

MicroMaster
07-01-2002, 09:13 PM
I've successfully modified a Bit Char-G Boost Machine to run on three cells. Yes, that's right. THREE CELLS. This thing leaves smoking trails of rubber on my kitchen floor. It'd be completely uncontrollable if it weren't for the two speed feature of the boost machine.

Check it out:

Mega Char-G III (http://www.geocities.com/craigmatsuoka/MegaChg3.html)

tinyrc
07-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Wow! The three cells don't have any negative effect on the electronics at all? How long have you been running it? How would you compare the speed to a stock BC-G? This is one of the coolest mods I've ever seen, may we add it to our tips and mods section (of course giving credit to you)? Any chance of a quick video of it in action?!

blacksabbath070
07-02-2002, 10:29 AM
will there be a video of your car driving? what made you do that its crazy? anyway... good idea

MicroMaster
07-02-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by tinyrc
Wow! The three cells don't have any negative effect on the electronics at all? How long have you been running it? How would you compare the speed to a stock BC-G? This is one of the coolest mods I've ever seen, may we add it to our tips and mods section (of course giving credit to you)? Any chance of a quick video of it in action?!

So far, so good. I've been running it constantly since Saturday, and no ill effects yet. I try not to boost for more than a couple of seconds at a time to keep the motor from getting too hot. You'd want to reserve full boost for an extra advantage down the straightaways anyway.

The normal speed it's just a wee bit slower than a two-cell modified car. So it's fairly easy to control.

But at Boost, it goes at least twice that speed (I'm just guessing here), and steering is almost impossible. Making sharp turns during a boost will flip the car. That's why I let off the accelerator just before going into a turn, and even then I only quickly tap the left or right buttons to maintain stability rather than hold them down and risk flipping the car. I think Boost is best used on larger tracks with lots of straightaways, or wide open "freestyle" spaces like smooth polished floors, wooden basketball courts, or tennis courts. Polished linoleum tile (like the kind used in some supermarkets) might be fun to run this on too, though I've yet to sneak into a K-Mart to test it.

I forgot to mention this on my webpage, but the receiving antenna should be bent into a shape that balances the car. If you extend it straight up, the car becomes top-heavy and flips. I've found that a flat spiral shape works pretty nicely. One idea I had was to bend the antenna into a dome-like cage around the car, so it won't flip while going into a high speed turn.

You're welcome to add this to your tips and mods section.

Unfortunately, my PC isn't set up for video capture yet. But my digital camera will do short 15 second Quicktime videos at 15 frames per second. I'll try to make a video as soon as I can and either post it on my site, or offer it to another site operator if my free Geocities site puts a traffic limitation on my transfers.

tinyrc
07-02-2002, 05:07 PM
MicroMaster, we can host the video for you - can't wait to see it!