PDA

View Full Version : esc running 8.4V,can it be done?

DRRfanatic425
04-15-2004, 02:28 PM
I tell you ,the need for speed never stops. i just finished my drr with all the mods and upgrades that i ordered. to say the least, i am amazed! let me give you the run-down. i upgraded from a 180 motor to a team orion big block motor with a cap board installed(some cutting and drilling and believe me , there is no room to spare) i am now running a 40t spur and a 15t pinion. i had to go with teflon ball bearings all the way around(to keep things friction free.of course i'm running 7.2v (6 aaa, 800 maH, thats 4800maH i think) i had to have some BLING BLING aluminum rims all the way around (silver). you might not believe it ,but i'm getting between 40-47MPG!!!! i think it's great. but remember in the begining i told you that the need for speed never stops, i want to run 8.4V lith-ion batteries in this baby. can anyone tell me if the stock electronics can handle it. if not, what would you recommend i out fit her with? oh yeah i just finished the body that i was working on for her, it's a Porsche GT-1 EVO . i love it. oh, also i would like to run foams , could someone please tell me where to get foams that will fit the stock rims,but larger diameter. thanks , pics to follow.

kylelucas
04-15-2004, 11:28 PM
DRRfanatic425-

I have a few DRR modified with Li Ion batteries (8.4 peak voltage), but I am only running modified 180 motors. As of yet there have been no failures and no burnout on my ESC.

Your big block most likely draws more current and in that case you may be at risk. Plus, it may draw more than is "Good" for Li Ion batteries. You will need to consult a Li Ion expert on that. I have heard they are good for up to 280 motors (don't know if your motor is this size or larger).

As far as your current battery pack, your capacity is 800maH. Your voltage is additive in you pack (end to end battery stack - serial). To have additive capacity, you would need to run twin 800maH packs in parallel. In that case you would have a capacity of 1600maH.

As far as foams, I know where to get foams that fit, but cannot confirm larger diameter foams. Email me if you would like to discuss where I get DRR parts.

You car sounds wicked fast. Enjoy. I really have a blast with these cars, and I see you do too.

Regards,
Kyle Lucas
kydawg1@yahoo.com