PDA

View Full Version : Dual cell problems

FordTrucktexan
03-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Hey guys.. I'm having probs... I managed to screw up one ZZ by accidently unsoldering the steering connections, those who can't micro solder feel my pain...

Anyway so I had this extra battery now, I bought another ZZ and soldered a wire connecting the + tip of one battery to the - end of the other, taped em' up and used the ZZ charger to figure out which wire was hot and which was -, and soldered them to the stock battery terminals.

At first the charger would turn a faint greenish orange and nothing would happen. I switched the terminals and now the led turns red as if it's charging and the car runs while on the charger but that's it, it won't run under it's own battery power. What's going on?

Oh and it has the ZZ 28k motor with performace gears...

clxfiles
04-01-2004, 02:10 AM
It's kinda hard to picture what's going on but if the car goes while on the charger, then it is running off the chargers power. When you take it off, it tries to run off the batteries power but since it can't that would point me in the direction of troubleshooting the battery connections. The two problems I've seen like that was either a bad connection between batteries or a short somewhere in the connections.

Sawblade
04-02-2004, 10:20 AM
The stock charger doesn't have enough power to charge a dual celled ZZ. You'll need to connect a couple of C or D batteries together in series and connect them to your car to be able to charge it up.

Also, you could a 3v power supply so you don't have to use batteries.

spamman
04-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Sawblade is right... you need a different charger if you're dual cell'n. I'm using a variable AC adaptor... it's much more consistant than batteries.

JAC4412
04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
You need to make what is call a stand alone charger. Here is a good tutorial (by me) I'll get some pics for you. http://ripper7racing.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230&st=0&#entry916