PDA

View Full Version : cheap zz controller joystick mod

lnx_author
10-11-2002, 07:58 PM
in keeping with what i hope will be a long series of cheap mods, i came up with a zero-cost mod for the zz controller to add a joystick to each button (yea, i know others have done this mod - some of 'em look really good, too)...

i took a spare DB9 RS232 hood and removed the two bolts (which are used to secure the hood to a PC)...

then drilled a hole in each button of the zz controller (hint, tap a starter depression in each button using the hot tip of a soldering iron; this will prevent the drill bit from sliding around when you start a drill, and ensures a perfectly centered hole)... drill slowly! a cordless drill on slow speed is perfect...

then screwed each bolt into the holes; note that you don't have to screw 'em in all the way, 'cause a little height is nice...

i then took two small rubber feet (salvaged from the bottom of some electronic appliance long ago), threaded two smaller bolts through the feet, and screwed 'em into the top of each bolts from the DB9 hood...

the result is a pair of nice, soft joysticks for the controller - and a lot more comfortable play action... not bad for US$0...

btw, i wonder why the designer of the controller used two buttons instead of a single four-way? perhaps it was cheaper to use two contact switches?

i'd like to see a controller faceplate mod for a single joystick to control fwd/rev/lft/rht...

ICH_BIN_GUT!
10-11-2002, 08:26 PM
could u sho a pic of the screws you used?

lnx_author
10-11-2002, 09:01 PM
- will do when i get some time...

- btw, you could also use two brass mobo standoffs instead of the DB9 bolts... the mobo standoffs might even look nicer... the trick is finding cheap rubber thingies to bolt on... shouldn't be a problem if you have a junk bin of parts (this is one reason i strip any electronic appliance of all parts, such as nuts, screws, boards, connectors, etc. - you never know when you might need that uniquely threaded nut or bolt, or odd connector)... it's always better to recyle parts - saves money and keeps stuff out of the landfill...

tuner00
10-11-2002, 10:07 PM
been looking for something like this... the bolts on those connectors look perfect.

hbarer
10-11-2002, 11:38 PM
i used the long screws
that attach the bullet cars
to the little stand they come in
drilled a couple holes and
covered them with shrink tubing
to hold em on

ICH_BIN_GUT!
10-12-2002, 12:01 AM
Dang!

That is one tite Fast and the Furious supra bumper!:eek:

latency
10-12-2002, 11:07 AM
The track in the background of your pic looks great! Can I see more of it?! Love checking out the tracks folks make!!!

:D

lnx_author
10-12-2002, 12:25 PM
here's one using mobo standoffs and rubber pheet:

http://www.tux.org/~bball/zz/phat.jpeg

lnx_author
10-12-2002, 12:30 PM
here's one using DB9 hood bolts and IBM laptop/keyboard TrackPoint caps...

btw, the mobo standoffs and DB9 bolts are interchangeable! (isn't this in keeping with the zz spirit?) this means i can use different sticks and the mod isn't permanent:

http://www.tux.org/~bball/zz/trackpoint.jpeg

hbarer
10-12-2002, 01:07 PM
wow
they all look cool
however you do it
it makes racing much easier on the thumbs

i'll try and post some pics
of my track tonite

oink oink

Go0ty
10-12-2002, 02:13 PM
i just did this mod and wow it worked out great! thinking of using little rubber feet from an old appliance was genius! :D no more hurt thumbs, and controlling is alot easier and more responsive now (dont have to put as much pressure on the dang sticks to turn it)

EcLiPSe 2.0
10-12-2002, 10:16 PM
I used the motherboard mounting screws and the bolt plastic u can find on the bookshelfs.

jerrylo
10-13-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the idea. Modified my controller this morning. Drilled 3/32" holes in the middle of the buttons and used #6 wood screws with a piece of vacuum hose screwed onto them. Works great. Next, planning on to using the same idea, but with some vacuum plugs so you will not be able to see the screw head.