PDA

View Full Version : crossing over

kasper01001
02-11-2004, 01:09 PM
hello, I got so into RC ever since I got my xmod but now I wanna "expand my horizon" and try Mini-z's, what should I be looking for in purchasing one, one that performs well out of the box? I know the performance is great (compared to a xmod). but would upgrading it be a hassle? I'm interseted in the NSX MR-01 one, is that a good choice?

RedRSX
02-12-2004, 12:32 AM
The mini-zs are kinda like the xmods in the sense that every car is the same thing outta the box, So find a body style you think might be lighter than the others (like the RSX xmod) or the body you think looks the coolest. Mini-zs are just as easy to upgrade as xmods are, only there are MANY MANY more parts. I have an Overland and the quality compared to an xmod isnt even explainable. I cant even find the right words to compare the two! I would HIGHLY recommend you buy one, they are a blast;)

Racer240
02-13-2004, 03:39 AM
It's great you're trying to expand your "horizon" in the hobby :) IMO, xmods are great r/c to teach you basically anything about the r/c hobby. It was through xmods that I learned more about r/cs than just charging a battery and playing with it.
Now for you questions, yes the MZ performs well out of the box, but watch out for a few MR-01s. Since they were the first they have quite a few problems, unequal steering for some, or very noisy. I just heard those but MR-01s are still good even though they lack a reverse. The OLs, are great, though you might want to watch out for the main gear and front steering knuckles. They either break or strip depending on how you run it. MR-02s are much faster than the 01s stock. I think they're almost as fast as the F1s. The F1s, from forums I've read... they're pretty much "perfect". The Monster OL or MOL is cool, the only problems with it so far is the front/rear shock mounts breaking from jumping too much or too high. But remember it's not a 1/10 or 1/8 monster truck, it's still an indoor r/c, it has just been "monsterized".

Upgrading it would be a bit more expensive as the parts are from japan and you pretty much have to order them from ebay or the Mzstore. Maybe even somewhere else, unless you're lucky enough to have a LHS that sells minizs and accessories.

Cian
02-13-2004, 04:37 AM
MR-01s are still good even though they lack a reverse.

They have reverse, but no brake. All the others have reverse and brake.

Hop-ups are widely available all over the world and on the Web. Check out www.mini-zracer.com/shop for some really good prices, an relativelty low S&H..

Racer240
02-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Cian
They have reverse, but no brake. All the others have reverse and brake.

Hop-ups are widely available all over the world and on the Web. Check out www.mini-zracer.com/shop for some really good prices, an relativelty low S&H..

Oops, my mistake :) Yes, they have no brake.

Queso
02-23-2004, 09:05 PM
my lhs has mr01 readysets for 99.95