PDA

View Full Version : To Slot Or NOT To Slot, for the battery clips that is

Zero-Man
01-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Need your input on this one........

Wanted to keep the bottom of the X-Mod CF chassis as clean as possible, but I ran into a compromise issue. The Stock Battery Clips are harder to remove since there is no way to get to the bottom of the clip. If you back off the screw that holds the battery box and rear top plate about 1 turn, then the clip will come off with a little effort. See the Pic........

Vote for your choice, slotted or not

QPizzle
01-08-2004, 08:48 PM
function should come first..SLOT IT!

mystiquesupra
01-09-2004, 02:05 AM
I agree, looks sharp... but dont give up the ROUTINE use of the clips.

Function before beauty

neurokinetik
01-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Slot it. Saves weight in the process anyway. :) Actually, for stock setup, why do we need all that material underneath the battery holders anyway? That's just added weight and unneeded, IMO.

hoopsta1423
01-09-2004, 01:47 PM
i say slot it aswell, it would take even more weight off, and btw whatr is that hole under the front gear for??

neurokinetik
01-09-2004, 02:20 PM
It is to keep the gear from rubbing on the chassis. Take a look at a stock XMod chassis and you will see why it needs to be there.

Skurge420
01-09-2004, 03:51 PM
damn......slot it

cant wait for these to come out!

maxximum attack
01-09-2004, 07:18 PM
OFF TOPIC:

I am a little cancerned with that front differential. How do I keep dirt from being picked up by that gear. (aside from a skidplate)

Zero-Man
01-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Yep, a concern of mine too, the issue is one of those compromises I talked about earlier. In order to keep it light, I wanted to use the 1mm CF and not the 1.5mm CF. The thicker the chassis, the more rigid, the heavier and also the more "lift" to all the bolt on components. In reality the diff barely extends below the bottom of the chassis. But it has to be open for clearance. Low nap carpet shouldn't be too much of an issue. High nap or loose gravel could. Simple enough to rectify with some double sided tape and a small square of thin clear plastic, bet you have them laying around the pit bench somewhere........

Originally posted in the CF Chassis thread...................

SuPrBuGmAn
01-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Plus you could always throw some plastic soda bottle under the chasis(bolted with stock bolts holding suspension tight) for a makeshift skidplate that would also act to keep crap out of the differential.

Zero-Man
01-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Spot on; now that sounds like a tinkerer's solution to me.

T Man
01-17-2004, 02:13 PM
How many people are going to get the CF chassis and keep the stock electronics? To me, keeping the stock electronics seems to defeat the purpose of buying the chassis.

RGM1524
01-17-2004, 10:27 PM
I have a question... exactly what electronics are you planning on using. Seems like there still isnt very much room to work with underneith there for hobby class electronics.

oh yea and... slot it!

SuPrBuGmAn
01-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by T Man
How many people are going to get the CF chassis and keep the stock electronics? To me, keeping the stock electronics seems to defeat the purpose of buying the chassis.

The purpose of the chasis, atleast IMO, should be to lighten the load on the motor by reducing weight. I will keep my stock electronics, with the addition of a FET upgrade it will be more than ample.

microINNOVATION
01-23-2004, 12:30 AM
I AUCTUALLY DIS AGREE DONT SLOT IT FOR THE SAKE OF AFRETMARKET PARTS YOU NEED THAT EXTRA ROOM FO THER STUFF NOT TO MENTION IT WILL ENCOURAGE PROPLE TO GO BUY HOBBY GRADE RECHARDAGABLE BATTERYS NOT AAAs

crj90
01-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Slot it

2fast4u
01-24-2004, 06:29 PM
definatley slot it i want as much weight off as possible but how will all the components get skrewd on? without the extenden skrew holds? but still that thing looks nice and brobably gives a speed boost.

Blah
08-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Slot it but only that little part where the bat clip is!

I see CF chassis all the time with slots going all the way around the batteries put ONLY SLOT IT WHERE U HAVE TO! KEEP IT SMOOTH!