PDA

View Full Version : whats better ball or geared diff

FeRReT_of_WaR
12-19-2003, 04:48 PM
whats better a ball differential or a geared differential. do they have there own place or is one better in all ways than the other??

Martlet21
12-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Ball, gear, and limited-slip all have their own place. Following are my personal findings:
Drifting: LSD on the back and ball on the front
Tight turning: Ball on back, gear on front
Drag racing: ball on back, LSD on front

This is just what works best for me, with my driving style. Hope it helped!

TypeZer0
12-20-2003, 11:44 PM
the LSD for our xmods IS the ball diff. what comes with the AWD kit is a red gear diff preinstalled in that front assembly and an optional ball diff which they called LSD.

if you're driving in an area that needs better turning and you won't expect it to lose traction, stick with gear diffs all around. if the surface has a few loose areas like loose dirt or carpet or whatever, put the lsd in the front so that if the rear slips the front can still pull it a little until the rear wheels start biting again

Martlet21
12-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by TypeZer0
the LSD for our xmods IS the ball diff. what comes with the AWD kit is a red gear diff preinstalled in that front assembly and an optional ball diff which they called LSD.

When I said LSD I meant a true limited slip differential, completely locked up. I did this on one of my spare gear diffs by filling it with silly putty. It works like a charm.

SKYHIGH
12-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong but if it is filled with silly putty it wont slip at all therefore is not a limited slip, it is a no slip which would also be called a posi differential

Martlet21
12-21-2003, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I guess you're right. Anyway, I just messed up my terminology. Oh well. No harm, no foul. Thanks for correcting me.

neurokinetik
12-22-2003, 08:35 AM
For best cornering ability, I like open gear diffs both front and rear, preferably with as little resistance as possible. For drag, locked diffs are the best.