PDA

View Full Version : my ( kind of still a mini-x) rock crawler

lowam
12-17-2003, 09:32 PM
mostly aluminum. drive train is two old modified futaba servos. they produce the kind of tourk that i needed to pull this thing around and then some.its a 1/24 scale. sorry for the crappy camera. hope you like them.

lowam
12-17-2003, 09:33 PM
here's another sorry i meant to post these in the pics

sawhit4
12-21-2003, 10:32 PM
it looks good but bigger tires would help to complete the monster look. after i get my mini x and mess with it stock i plan to do a mod like this with u joints. but that will be awhile off cuz i dont even get the mini x untill christmas (4days :D )

lowam
12-23-2003, 02:27 AM
thank you!

sawhit4
12-23-2003, 11:39 AM
did you make that chassis? and what kind of shocks are those? and did you just cut out the front and back diffs like helldriver did? i think thats what he did.

lowam
12-23-2003, 12:02 PM
i cut the chassis out of aluminum. the shocks are off of a kyosho 1/10 on road car, i forget what it was called.an as for the diff.i just cut the minix in half and started hacking away untill i got the shape that i wanted. most of the drive train ended up being cased in aluminum so that i would have a place to hook the shocks and links to.

sawhit4
12-23-2003, 12:23 PM
sweet did you use U joints? if you did what kind are they? it looks awesome and with some huge monster tires on it. how fast do you think it goes? it looks bad keep up the good work

lowam
12-23-2003, 03:02 PM
there are no u joints. i mounted gears on two modified futaba servos and mounted the servos directly up to the diff gear. it is really slow but i wasnt going for speed . i was going for serious tork. and it has crazy amounts of tork. it will climb almost anything.

diets
12-23-2003, 11:32 PM
@lowam
Cool Crawler!

Could you please post some pic's how you mounted the Futaba servo's to the diff's.
How did you made the steering? Do you have four wheel steering as well? Pic's?

diets - has no room for the servo's :o

lowam
12-24-2003, 05:46 PM
n 4 wheel steering but can easily be done just do the rear steering the same as the front. here are some pics. i hope you can make them out.

lowam
12-24-2003, 05:49 PM
see how the mini servo sits in front and the futaba servo stands upright behind the mini servo. if you arent concerned about speed but want ungodly amounts of tork, this is the way to go. i hope these pics help. if you want me to i will get some more pics when i have some more time.

sawhit4
12-24-2003, 07:27 PM
what did you do to the servo to make it to where it will spin without stoping?

lowam
12-24-2003, 10:14 PM
rip out all of the electronics and the pot. hook your wires directly in to the motor leads. the main out put shaft/gear has a little stopper that you will have to grind off. also on the inside of the out put shaft/gear there is a little thing on the inside that you will have to remove .this is what positions the pot and tells the servo motor to stop or keep turning when it was all intact. i would take some pics but my camera is not good enough for that kind of thing.

SKYHIGH
12-25-2003, 03:40 AM
I was just snoopin around other boards and you caught my attention. Nice work with aluminium. I do belive the your 1:24 scale r/c sits higher than my crx. That is truely sad

sawhit4
12-25-2003, 09:23 PM
lowam i get what your saying ive taken apart a servo for a failed micro car project before. i just got my mini x and xmod today. i dont have the charger for the mini x yet but it came fully charged so i did a couple of laps around the kitchen counter with my dad driving the xmod. he won only because this little car went so fast i couldnt keep it goin straight. i went outside into my gerage and drove around to get the feel for the controls. we had a redo and i kicked his butt. :D i love my mini x. i got a mini cooper model to make into a bodie for it and it should be done by tomorrow. ill post some pics. later

spencer

diets
12-26-2003, 12:33 PM
@lowam
I tried a servo as well, but i decided to use modified dogbones. There is not enough room for a big servo at my crawler, because of the extreme possible articulation. How much is the articulation in your setting?

How did you mount the steering servo. Just with tape? And what type of servo do you use? Look's like the so called 'micro' size, similar to the Hitec HS81. I use a smaller one, size is similar to the HS55. It is a GWS NARO with ball bearings, it is strong enough to do the steering, even the car stands still. I tried different servo, but i would recommend the GWS, best of all, it's the cheapest I found.

diets - powered by lipoly soon

lowam
12-26-2003, 04:04 PM
i can put the left front tire up 2 in, and the rear right tire up 2 in. at the same time or vice versa. as for the steering servo i had to cut L-brackets out of aluminum beasuse i couldnt get any tape to stick to the top of the diff casing. i used a hs81 hitec servo. it has plenty enough power to turn the wheels and its only about $20.00.:cool: