PDA

View Full Version : Nos!!!!

2fast2cool
12-11-2003, 09:15 PM
i havbe an idea for nos get 1 of those realy small co2 cartridge and jet it up for sumtin to breack the seal like a small nedel or knife and hook it up to a moter and u press a but ton on the control and ir pierses the co2 seal and zooooooom gonehttp://www.1899airsoftguns.com/images/1%20co2.jpg

2fast2cool
12-11-2003, 09:39 PM
does any 1 think this is a good idea

neurokinetik
12-11-2003, 10:04 PM
You do realize that this would have no benefit whatsoever, right?

Snow
12-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm not trying to be mean, but do you even understand what you're talking about? Do you understand how nitrous works? Nitrous only works on combustion engines, not electric motors.

I don't want to dog on you, just suggest that you do a little research before you put an idea forward.

I recommend you go to a few sites:

How engines work (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm)

how nitrous oxide works (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question259.htm)

how electric motors work (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/motor.htm)

Read through that site and you'll understand why nitrous is not applicable for these cars.

EDIT: nvm. I didn't realize you were posting about CO2, not N2O. I still don't think it would be a very worthwhile idea. It would be a pain to rig up, a pain to buy new bottles, and the speed would be very short-lived and only suitable for drag races.

Plays_with_Toys
12-11-2003, 11:07 PM
I don't think he meant NOS in the literal meaning. Even the ZipZaps have "NOS" motors, NOS is now becoming a word associated with go fast goodies.

I think what you mean is that the CO2 would spray and hit the gear, therefore making it spin faster, along with the motor and drivetrain.

I don't think this will work for several reasons.

1) The jet would have to hit one side of the gear perfectly without pushing on the otherside to have the intended effect.

2) It would be so quickly done, there would be no real effect except maybe losing control.

3) You'd need a 3-channel radio and quite a bit of equipment, no amount of gas is going to make up for all that added weight.

Don't be discouraged. Always think outside the box. No matter how crazy an idea is, write it down, share it with someone, something to make it stick. That particular idea may not work, but it might spark another idea that is totally awesome. Or maybe it will give someone else an idea, on the same subject or something completely unrelated. Its one of the first rules of engineering. No idea is bad while it is still in idea form.

itsme
12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Another idea on drag races!
Tape a few bottlerockets(small whistling or plain non-explosive ones up the back and a little before the race light the puppies up :P

2fast2cool
12-12-2003, 07:11 AM
not on the engin put it in the back and let the air push the car

Plays_with_Toys
12-12-2003, 08:08 AM
I still think it would be too heavy, unless you used it at the very start of the race, the other car would be quicker to get off the line and would have several car lengths on you if you weren't to use it until mid-track.

A better idea for "NOS" is hook up a little 2 cell battery holder and wire it in so that you can switch it in when you want. Then again, why not use it all the time? But if you want the "NOS effect" you'd have to make it wired to come on and off.

Snow
12-12-2003, 12:33 PM
If you read the very bottom of my post, you'll see that I realized what he meant. It reminds me of the CO2 cars my industrial technology class made in middle school. They were fast! However, the speed is very short-lived, and you'd have to put a new bottle on for every race. I would actually be interested in seeing it done. If someone figured out how to mount the tank and rig a puncturing system, it should work.

Skurge420
12-12-2003, 02:24 PM
it would probably work....but is it really worth it......

all the time the co2 can isn't firing, its just added weight........which one outweighs the other?

pacificwarriors
12-13-2003, 09:07 AM
why dont you rig an extra 2 channel controller to the rear of the xmod, have 1 servo puncture the can and have the other knock the cylinder off after it is used up

MicroSpeed
12-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Or you could attach a few model rocket motors to the back, have a 1 channel reciever hooked up to them, have a seprate push-button controller-and them BAM!, but you might want to make sure it's in a heat-proof container first, and that you're standing out of harms way while you do it, and that you DON'T do it inside-of course, that'd be pretty stupid anyway

Plays_with_Toys
12-13-2003, 11:47 PM
I thought those had a blast cap on them to release the parachute.... So make sure you protect your xmod.... and make sure you're across the line before that blast cap goes off cuz you may just be going sideways after that.

targatop7mgte
12-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by MicroSpeed
Or you could attach a few model rocket motors to the back, have a 1 channel reciever hooked up to them, have a seprate push-button controller-and them BAM!, but you might want to make sure it's in a heat-proof container first, and that you're standing out of harms way while you do it, and that you DON'T do it inside-of course, that'd be pretty stupid anyway

my buddy and i in the airforce have beeing thinking about ideas like this since day one. we initially thought about CO2 bottles like those modle cars most of us made in shop class back in middle school but we quickly realized that it would take to much to make it work. next we went onto model rocket engines, since we do that on the side. the concept is simple and WORKS. if any of you know about model rocket engines. you'll know how it lights a little fuse that is plugged into the exhaust side of it. you then put some voltage through it. it ignites and sparks the rocket and BOOM you have lift off. here's what you do. first lay down some aluminum foil on the rear of the car so that it won't but the car. next strap it onto the roof w/ duct tape making sure its 1)level 2)centered. and have the end hang off the roof a little bit so the blast has room to fie w/o hitting the car. now for the fun part. you need a light assembly for this. simple cut on of the REAR lights off. then extend them and put gator clips on the ends of each wire. then run them under the rear bumper and to the front. w/ the fuse in place in the rocket. simply clip the gator clips onto each side of the fuse. and your set to go. assemble car line up to race. now here is how you use it. when going down the strip simply TAP the breaks. this will send a jolt through the lines and ignite your rockt and BAM your GONE!!!

cautions: DO NOT HIT THE BREAKS BEFORE YOUR READY TO USE IT. sever injury WILL occure (i'll vouch, my dumba$$ friend thought it would be great for laughs to punch it will i was holding the car)

also make sure you have enough runway .

and no not ALL engines have a blast cap. you can buy some rockets that don't blast when their spent.

this DOES work. i have an xmod rigged like this.

charliebrown
12-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Not to butt in or anything, but why don't you just do a 6 cell mod, and set the car on low throttle. When you are driving, switch it to high throttle and THERE is your NOS!

Wedginator posted a tutorial on how to wire a button switch to your car, and then push that button for faster speed.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

targatop7mgte
12-16-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by charliebrown
Not to butt in or anything, but why don't you just do a 6 cell mod, and set the car on low throttle. When you are driving, switch it to high throttle and THERE is your NOS!

Wedginator posted a tutorial on how to wire a button switch to your car, and then push that button for faster speed.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

yeah but its kewler to have a rocket strapped to your car :) just sh!ts and giggles like. Also do you have a link to that tutorial. thanx

FeRReT_of_WaR
12-17-2003, 08:18 AM
i have a idea for nos also. why not just strap a D sized model rocket engine up to your car it will burn it to holy hell. but it will be fun. i have made many rocket cars in my younger days. they all crashed and burned. like that old sega cd game sewer shark. "CRASH AND BURN, CRASH AND BURN" but a model rocket engine is a effective propelant. i would recommend you attatch the car to a straight string. like those old 8th grade co2 cars. p.s alumiun foil will will not protect your car. i just started reading the posts.

targatop7mgte
12-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by FeRReT_of_WaR
i have a idea for nos also. why not just strap a D sized model rocket engine up to your car it will burn it to holy hell. but it will be fun. i have made many rocket cars in my younger days. they all crashed and burned. like that old sega cd game sewer shark. "CRASH AND BURN, CRASH AND BURN" but a model rocket engine is a effective propelant. i would recommend you attatch the car to a straight string. like those old 8th grade co2 cars. p.s alumiun foil will will not protect your car. i just started reading the posts.

umm... yeah way to be late....and yes aluminum foil will protect it from the scoring flames (now it might melt it from heat exposure ( mine didn't) but it won't let the flame hit the plastic directly and burn or set it on fire.

FeRReT_of_WaR
12-17-2003, 01:02 PM
it will burn once the engine is all done and the parachute charge goes off.

targatop7mgte
12-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by FeRReT_of_WaR
it will burn once the engine is all done and the parachute charge goes off.

no it won't. open your eyes your ears. dood. one... you can buy engines that don't have a chute discharge. 2) the aluminum foil WILL protect it. if you don't believe me try this concept. get some paper, aluminum foil, and some matches. take a match light it. hold it to a piece of paper... IT BURNS catches on fire. split second. now take a sheet of foil fold it in half and stick some paper between it. repeat. the paper does NOT catch fire.... i wonder why.

suprafreak33
12-17-2003, 10:13 PM
cool

kasper01001
12-18-2003, 12:19 AM
bakc to the topic......:p LMAO have an bottle like that on an XMOD engine won't do anything but jst puff air....

tavisjohn
12-18-2003, 01:27 AM
I have done a simular experiment with an old truck RC car. I made a Model Rocked mount out of Aluminum and attached it to the bed of the truck. When I set off the engine, It went out of controll. The moment I tried to turn, it rolled over and skidded all over the parking lot till the engine burned out. I would not reccomend doing this kind of speed upgrade. You cannot controll the thrust, or steer. You run the risk of totaling your car.

targatop7mgte
12-18-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by tavisjohn
I have done a simular experiment with an old truck RC car. I made a Model Rocked mount out of Aluminum and attached it to the bed of the truck. When I set off the engine, It went out of controll. The moment I tried to turn, it rolled over and skidded all over the parking lot till the engine burned out. I would not reccomend doing this kind of speed upgrade. You cannot controll the thrust, or steer. You run the risk of totaling your car.

i... did.. forget to mention that small detail didn't i. :D

tavisjohn
12-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Well you could have mentioned the fact that you cannot controll the thrust. However you may not have been aware of the steering problem if you have not done this experiment. The truck I experimented with is 1/10th scale. It was really cheap, I got it from RadioShack for $15.00. (It was an older model RC car)

vi3ti2avei2
12-19-2003, 09:45 PM
i dun kno what the others wrote.. cuz im lazy.. .and i havnt been on for a while.. but that.. .. not to break your heart or nothing.. is kinda hard to do ... cuz.. ud need ... someting hard enought to push that lil like eject button to let the co2 out... and itd add alotta weight to your car.... but i do under stand what ur getitn at b/c back in 6th grade... my skool tech lab used to use them on these wooden cars we created.. and it worked but they had to be pushed against some needle to push the needle point button.. so im just sayin thats gonna be hard to do .. but hey if u do that thats great.. if it works thats super.. if it dont.. nice try and idea... so yup my .02