PDA

View Full Version : Steering Tie Rods: Toe -in (?)

Wedginator
11-26-2003, 06:35 PM
I was reading the installation sheet for the tie rods and i noticed that they said "The higher the degree, the tighter the turning radius of the car." Now in my recent Mini-Z experiences, the more Toe In, the less steering, but more straight line stability.

I installed the 4.5 degree Tie rod on the Xmod, and there is a lot of toe in. According to the sheet, this was recommended for curvy tracks. How is this possible is toe in is meant for straight line stability??

I was hopeing for a Toe OUT which gives more steering but hinders straight line stability. Please can someone clarify this. Thanks.

TypeZer0
11-26-2003, 09:10 PM
i know what you mean, but i can sorta see what they mean. more toe-in means the wheels point in more and when you steer in one direction all the way, the outer wheels points in more. meaning if you turn left, then the front right tire is angled to the left more while the left tire is pointing a bit straighter. well, when you turn, the car does some body rolling and i guess they're counting on this so transfer more weight to the outside wheels which means more weight to the front right wheel that it should turn in more. the inside left wheel gets less weight and thus traction or it gets lifted altogether (rare unless it's flipping).

i hope you get what i mean, i'm not the greatest when articulating my thoughts :(