PDA

View Full Version : Xmods _FRONT_ Wheel Drive

Daedalusleto
11-23-2003, 01:53 PM
To make your Xmod front wheel drive only:

- Remove the white differential from the rear axle completely so the wheels spin free.

- Install the white differential on the front portion of an "All" Wheel Drive upgrade (it's designed for two wheels only and gives you a true differential, the red is designed to disengage if one wheel moves faster than the other)

- Finish the install of the AWD kit as normal (except the rear differential) and viola! Your Xmod is now front wheel drive only!

This has a few benefits. First of all, it adds to the realism factor. (I've never seen a stock Civic that was rear wheel drive. Have you?) It also makes for better drifts around corners, and tighter turns for that matter.

I recommend a very stiff suspension on the front wheels as well as soft slicks so it transfers the most power to the road, since you do lose some compared to RWD (push vs. pull and all that)

TypeZer0
11-23-2003, 04:42 PM
i wanna add to this:

- use the front pins that comes stock in the front wheels for the rear wheels so you don't have floating driveshafts in the rear

- only one of the red differentials is the limited slip type, the other is just a red-colored version of the stock differential

- i found the limited slip helpful on slippery surfaces like carpet where one wheel tends to slip

- shift the batteries forward to get more weight on the front wheels

- i suggest keeping the rear suspention stiffer than the front to induce oversteer to counter the inherent understeer in FWD cars

- have fun with it!!

Daedalusleto
11-23-2003, 05:01 PM
When I did mine, I just re-connected the rear drive shaft without the differential in the back, so it doesn't float but still spins freely.

Awesome idea on the batteries... I'll be sure to do that when I get home.

TypeZer0
11-23-2003, 05:15 PM
yeah, that's what i meant by float, they jsut spin freely. it's just that with the driveshafts still in place, they get extra friciton from the two bushings/bearings that hold the center driveshafts in place, meaning there's friciton from 6 bushings/bearings. if you use the pins instead, you're down to only 4 bushings/bearings. and besides, if anything should happen, you wouldnt' want the rear driveshafts to get damaged you know?

maxvelox03
05-11-2004, 05:21 PM
nice step by step, i finally got around to doing mine :p

viperdout
05-11-2004, 07:23 PM
But the diff holds in the rear gear. Jut put back in the white diff, and take out hte gears inside.

aperson
05-15-2004, 09:52 PM
no, the longer axle in the rear holds the spur gear in.

viperdout
05-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Hmmmm.