PDA

View Full Version : Porsche GT-1 EVO Body on XM?

MidWestRacer
11-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Hey all. I just came up w/ a possible XMod custom body. I've been working on this one Porsche GT-1 EVO racing body for my slot car w/ a custom metallic blue and gloss black paint job. It's 1/24th scale and looks schweet! I have to save some money up to get (probably) the Skyline? From what I've read, that is one of the "long" XMOD's, which I think I'll need for this body. You'll just have to imagine what the custom metallic blue / gloss black paint job looks like until I get some pics up b/c I could only find a pic of the original black w/ decal paint job. Just my like, I already glued in the headlight pieces (except lenses), so it'll take some work to get the LED lights into them, but will look awesome. I found this picture of the original car on hobbypeople.com:

neurokinetik
11-15-2003, 01:22 PM
I doubt it will work, that is a body I tried to fit on my XMod right in the beginning...

If you make a custom chassis for the XMod, then you can get the wheelbase long enough, otherwise, it won't work.

MidWestRacer
11-15-2003, 11:00 PM
I had a feeling that it wouldn't quite fit. Earlier tonite I started work on a custom chassis. I'm making it out of a piece of 1/8" plexiglass so it should be real strong. After that, it's just a matter of somehow getting everything mounted up good so that I can have a nice :bdrop: on it ;). As you can figure, I plan on only racing on smooth surfaces such as tile/linolium floors and smooth tracks. Thanks for the tip though. I'll try to get some pics of the basic paint job (haven't clear-coated it yet) ASAP for all y'all.

MidWestRacer
11-17-2003, 01:01 AM
OK, as I was working on the plastic chassis, I realized two things: A) It will be ultra-heavy, B) It will be extremely difficult to make the necessary chassis bends for the front and back of the car. Because of this, I decided to upgrade to light-weight aluminum or brass sheet from the hobby shop. I'm also going to (carefully) put well-placed holes in the metal chassis for custom Red LED underglow. I figure if I carefully make the holes so the LED's are fully w/in the car, but have a clear epoxy bottom, it should light up real well from as little as 4 LED's, but I'll probably put 6 LED's in as underglow to make sure it shows up real well in close to all lighting conditions. I'm also going to be putting the LED kit into it for the front/rear lights. It's coming along real well, but I have to find measurement specs online for the XMods dimensions. So far, the :bdrop: is looking real good, but the suspension setup is going to be difficult since it will most likely all be home-made. I must apologize for the cheap $20 digital camera/webcam quality of the following pictures. These are some basic pic's to show what it currently looks like:

(Image temporarily removed due to "No-Linking Policy" on my webpage)
http://paulm.1colony.com/images/gt-1_004.jpg
http://paulm.1colony.com/images/gt-1_002.jpg

Too bad I can't my a car like my old Firebird:
http://paulm.1colony.com/images/cleandfangle.jpg

Here's a good view of just how FAR apart the headlights are gonna be after I buy the RS kit and install them:

Cian
11-17-2003, 05:28 AM
FireBird

Aoshima make a K.I.T.T. body for the Mini-z , you could take off the red flashing lights and find a set of wheels that match...

neurokinetik
11-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Are you running into any hood clearance issues so far, like I did with the C5R body? I imagine with a custom chassis, you can pretty much relocate things as needed to prevent those kinds of problems.

MidWestRacer
11-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Unlike w/ your C5R, I don't have an XMod just yet, so: Nope, no clearance issues yet. Lol. I'm saving money to get an XMod Skyline. I'm sorta thinking what I might do is pull up all the model numbers again, order the parts I need (Transmitter/Handheld, Receiver/Electronics, Steering parts [servo, servo controller, etc], light kit, etc.) and install those (saving money and not destroying a beautiful Skyline) then get an XMod Skyline at a later time. I'll probably have to get the Stage 2 kit b/c the motor that I have at home is a Slot Car 12V type, and, although probably as fast as an NML, it would fry the boards. I'm also thinking of going with a Hi-Power single 9V battery, and making a step-down/step-up transformer board (step-down for electronics, step-up for relay-based motor). That would make it faster than pretty much any R/C car under 2 bills. As you also said, I would probably have fewer clearances issues than you did since it is a custom frame, but with how low it is going to be and all, I think I may still have some problems. I just noticed that my website doesn't allow linking, so I'll upload those pictures to this site when I get home later.

MidWestRacer
11-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Howdy, y'all! I just took some pics of my THREE projects (upgraded from just the GT-1). Following are new pics of the GT-1, my Humvee Cop truck, and (one of) the vehicle(s) you need to buy in order to have an XMod, ... an XMOD! My Skyline... AWD, Lights, Stage 2, Mix-N-Match body kit parts (I'm pretty sure it's all wild bumpers/side skirts, w/ stock spoiler ... looks pretty nice. And black painted mirrors). The green parts of the Humvee will eventually be white. Enjoy:

MidWestRacer
11-24-2003, 09:41 PM
XMod sticker on roof of Sky (taken from packaging):

MidWestRacer
11-24-2003, 09:42 PM
GT-1 and Skyline (BTW, white-ish areas on GT-1 are body filler, same for Humvee)

MidWestRacer
11-24-2003, 09:43 PM
GT-1 and Humvee side-by-side (The antenna on the Humvee broke off in an accidental roll-over from my hand to the floor ... floor won that one)

MidWestRacer
11-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Again, side-by-side, and I kept my hand steady enough this time (although it is one of those $20 digi-cams...)

MidWestRacer
11-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Here you can see the stub of the antenna, the black/green paint scheme (till I pick up some white) and the body filler. Once I get some blue LED's I'm going to be making multiple pairs of red/blue flashers for this beauty.

_revhards13
11-24-2003, 10:19 PM
wow, well im glad you konw your camera sucks... damn so bad i almost want to mail you mine so you can take pics... lol sorry man i hate to leave a bro with such a crappy cam... go invest 50 bucks in a 2.0 megapixle cam it will give you 6-10x better pics... nothing photographic but at least lets people see your pics without giving them a headache

_revhards13
11-24-2003, 10:20 PM
^ my ****ty hobby 3.2 mpixle ^

MidWestRacer
11-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Good idea. I'll probably pick one up soon wholesale soon thru this place called DBL Distributing. My boss has an account, so I get stuff thru him. Your camera is much better than my crap Wal-Mart $20 one. BTW, I love your avatar, I become hypnotized everytime I see it. I want to get a good avatar, but the site won't let me have any at all. Still too new on this s/n maybe? Anyways...

MidWestRacer
12-30-2003, 10:13 PM
OK, I still don't have a good camera (I'm buying a standard security camera b/c some POS keepz egging my car), and I completely changed the Humvee. I'll try to put the pics on soon. One hint... it'z full convertible now ;)