PDA

View Full Version : How to Paint Lexan Bodys

headhunter555
10-03-2002, 11:55 AM
It seems that alot of u never have handled Lexan Bodys so heres a short how to. Keep in mind the only lexan bodys i have paint so far are 1/10 scale.

Keep in mind all the work to lexan bodys will be done to the INSIDE! washing, masking, paint a.. will be done to the inside.

1) wash the INSIDE of the body with soap and water, then dry with a lint free cloth, or blow dryer

2) do any masking of windows or for stirps, flames ect. When u mask it be sure to mask it so that u can paint the dark colors first then the light, other wise if u paint white then black over top of it the black will show though.

3)wash again (dont worry it wont hurt the tape) and this time it has to be totaly dry. after u dry it be sure not to touch the inside if the body since the oil from ur hands will cuz the paint not to stick.

4) take saran wrap and wrap the out side of the body up with it to protect it from overspray

5)Um paint it! lol Again rember dark colors first. Remeber U will be painting the INSIDE of the body.

6) trim the extra lexan from the wheel wells ect.

7) thats it next step is to mount it and that part i leave up to u guys since every body is differant.

One more thing is i hear alot of u using any old paint...DONT!!! find a hobby shop or order it from a online store, either way get get lexan paint, pactra makes it along with others. plain old paint does not stick to lexan nearly as well. heres a short explaintion. While regular paint forms a bond like glue, lexan paint eats in to the lexan, that way when the lexan flexs, it wont chip off like reuglar paint.

Well i hope this helps.

Namuna
10-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Good info there HH, Thanks.

Though you might want to get back in and edit to make a STRONG emphasis for folks to apply paint on the INSIDE of the body (not the outside)

I know a few people unfamiliar with Lexan who've put the paint on the outside.

headhunter555
10-03-2002, 12:55 PM
Thanks i cant belive i forgot that, that half the reason i typed it up, cuz i read about someone painted the outside. oh well thanks for the Reminder.

Namuna
10-03-2002, 01:03 PM
Alright, this little helpful Gem deserves some time on the top!

Sticky!

MTL
10-03-2002, 01:34 PM
how thick are those lexan bodies?
are they easy to cut out?

ax0n
10-03-2002, 02:33 PM
They're VERY thin. Thinner than the plastic used for soda bottles. With a really nice pair of small fiskars scissors and an x-acto knife they're easy to cut out. just take your time!

headhunter555
10-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Yes there are very easy to trim, and a trick i use when trims lexan for 1/10 scale is whip out the dremal with a drum sander, but i dont know how well it will work since HO bodys are alot thinner 1/10 scale ranges from .o7 and .04 (dont quote me though) and HO bodys are .01 or .007 so if u try the dremal be carful.

eltacocr
11-21-2002, 10:11 AM
Where can I buy Lexan bodys for my zipzap online? I did search in eBay, but i didn't find anything.

Azimov
11-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Nice little write up. Very informative. Tell me, is the Lexan paint water based or is it oil based? I've never used the stuff and have some bodies coming in the mail ( I hope they fit:confused: ) and have never painted them before. I'll probably buy the paint at a local hobby shop. Does it come in spray cans or is it the brush on type?

headhunter555
12-05-2002, 12:22 PM
hey im not sure if the lexan paint is water or oil base, but its not soap and water clean up, if u sit there with a srcub brush for half an hour it comes of though, but im not sure wether its oil or water base prolly oil.

and u can get either, i havent done a small body yet i dont know whicth i would use, but they have 4 oz spay cans and 1 oz brush on it think u could use the brush on and get a really good result, but like i say i havent done one yet.

and for getting bodys, theres a website i have to look it up IF i can find it it has a bunch of bodys they cost like 2 bucks a peice.

Azimov
12-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Probably oil based then. Could clean up with paint thinner or mineral spirits. I suppose I'll go for the 1oz. bottle and airbrush it on. I don't need much of the stuff.
What about decals. Most of the waterslide kind have glue on the back, and I suppose you would have to put the things on the inside before you paint the body. Do they come with the glue on the face side. I've seen decals that were put on the larger lexan bodies and they seem to be stickers applied to the outside and not really decals. Is this the only way to add graphics to Lexan?

headhunter555
12-26-2002, 04:26 PM
Hey again, the decals for lexan, all have glue on the back just peel and stick,

They do have grahfics for the inside of 1/10 lexan bodys but i doubt u could find em for 1/64th bodys.

headhunter555
12-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Hey i found the link for the bodys... http://www.scaleauto.com/bodies/ I have a order for 8 of them sitting infront of me, im gonna mail it tomorow so since im paying with a check i should have them in about 2 weeks, once i get them im gonna try painting them a few differant ways, see which works the best mainly wether i use spray cans or brush it on. But once i do ill give my review in the quaitly of the Thunderbolt, and MaDD bodys to.

OUSkier1
12-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Cool thanks for the tips

Spanky
02-26-2003, 04:35 PM
cool i didnt even know this was a sticky :)

anyway to answer the question about the types of paints.. yes there is a water based lexan paint.. its called Faskolor. and it cleans up with water. they have a lot of great colors, however they dont have it in a spray. ive been brushing it on and it works good. but if you had a airbrush you would be rocking.

i myself have been working on making some of these custom lexan bodys.. my thickness are .020 and .010. i have seen the .007 bodys and they are pretty dang thin (thinner than the bubble wrap on a hotwheels car.)

as for the decals. you can use waterslide decals. just use clear decal paper and have your printing program print a reverse image. it will look backwards to you but if you look at it through the back of the paper it should work good. when you apply them . apply them like a normal decal, the printed side will be down but because its clear you will be able to see the correct detail.

headhunter did you ever get any of them painted?