PDA

View Full Version : Light Problems

viperkilla
11-13-2003, 04:56 PM
For some reason my right rear LED isnt very bright. The other LED is much stronger. Anyone have an idea why this is?

Bad Company
11-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Maybe one of the wires has come loose either at the board or at the LED itself?

viperkilla
11-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Hmmm...I checked everything else. No loose wires or anything. Do you have any other ideas what may be going wrong?

v0lc0m85
11-13-2003, 10:33 PM
RETURN THEM!!! haha thats our solution to every thing. radioshack must hate us. lol

Benskins
11-13-2003, 11:36 PM
my first set of LEDS i bought flickered off and on and there was nothing lose so like yours so my guess is that the baord might be messed up like mine was, i took it back with no problem.

viperkilla
11-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Yea I guess you are right. I'm tired of trying to see what is wrong with the lights. Now off to RS!

4G63T
11-14-2003, 08:58 PM
so did you get an new lights?
does it work now

teamdeadbunny
12-26-2003, 02:39 PM
Ive not had any problems with my light kit, aside from it using battery power. I think it was my fave upgrade to the car - the lights just look plain amazing on the car.

Why doesnt one of you tech/circuit savvy folks make a kit instead. I bet you could do it for a similar price and avoid problems with the RS ones.

How hard could it be?

pbmax
12-28-2003, 12:23 AM
Well, you've got the cost of the high-intensity LEDs, which isn't bad in bulk if you buy them somewhere online.

Then you need some sort of electronic switching mechanism (at least a couple of transistors) to switch between bright and not-so bright modes for each bank (front / back).

I imagine of the 4 pins, there's power, ground, brake signal, and go signal (for the headlights).

Gotta be some resistors in there so the LEDs don't fry, and another set for bright vs not-so-bright mode.

Thing is, when you get all that stuff together, you might be able to do it cheaper, but what about shipping? You'd have to ship in a padded envelope at least, which costs more than your standard rates (figure at least a dollar).

So in the end, it's a lot of effort for something just barely cheaper than the $6 that radio shack charges (by far the best commercial xmod mod for the money I think).

teamdeadbunny
12-29-2003, 09:57 AM
I'd say if you bulk ordered the parts, you could keep the cost down. Just do a "group buy" with friends so you have others pitching in on the cost.

For me it would be a voyage of discovery since I know little/nothing aboot capacitor/resistor etc stuff.