PDA

View Full Version : Pinions and Differential

Profoxcg
11-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Sup guys !

My mini x runs pretty smooth at an ok speed. However i want to know if I can make it run faster (ie. more top speed)

Do I need do increase in dif size or reduce it, or do I just purchase larger pinions. (what kind or who makes pinions for min x?) (do mini z pinions fit?)

lostbaka
11-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Question, are the pinion gears the gears attached to the motor shaft? The gear the drives my front diff on the mini x broke and I was wondering if there is a metal replacement and if any gears from other manufactures can be used.

Thanks
L. Baka

Profoxcg
11-10-2003, 12:02 AM
yep those are it.

you dont really want metal, too noisey

BTW, can someone post how many teeth on the stock diffs?

3series takumi
11-10-2003, 01:37 AM
there are 35t on the stock. for more speed you can get the 34t or look for a pinion above 8t

i would look into slot car gears. any just to let you know they are 48 pitch gears. you need that to get a proper gear mesh. there are old tamiya mini4x4 cars the have 10t pinions. i had only one so when i ran it, it was rwd but very fast.

profox how many cells are you running? you can pick up more speed with bearings for the wheels and motor if you dont have them already plus extra battery time. mine almost doubled

anymore Q's you know where to find me

Profoxcg
11-10-2003, 09:24 AM
I am currently running four cells as I mentioned. I am not ready to place more cells just yet.

I have read that there are cells that are half the size of a AAA. does any one know anything about this?

Profoxcg
11-10-2003, 09:29 AM
btw,

What does 48pitch mean? I found a site with different pitches

their description read like this:

10T 48Pitch 11Deg

here is a link to the site:

http://www.ncphobbies.com/gt1gears.html

Cian
11-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Profoxcg
I have read that there are cells that are half the size of a AAA. does any one know anything about this?

you can get 2/3AAA, 1/2AAA, and 1/3AAA batteries. Lower runtimes than AAA, but they can be combined for Higher voltage...

Profoxcg
11-10-2003, 09:34 AM
"Pitch - Could refer to the angle of the motor in the chassis, but most commonly referrs to the amount and size of teeth on a gear. Most cars come out of the box with 48 pitch gears, and most high speed slot cars use 64 pitch gears. In modern times, there has been some success using 72 pitch gears. The smaller the gear, the higher the pitch."

So I guess 48P defines the size of the pinion we need overall including diameter?

3series takumi
11-10-2003, 11:36 AM
pro you are on top of things

fastboy
11-10-2003, 07:02 PM
dp pitch stands for diametrical pitch,it is indeed the angle and gap inbetween the teeth,the lower the number,the bigger and more course the teeth,the finer is the opposite.
you can only use gears with the same dp,ie you cannot use a 48 and a 64 together,they wouldnt mesh correctly

3series takumi
11-10-2003, 07:07 PM
i want to make a new crown gear for this thing, 48 pitch gets the job done, but higher has less resistance and less noise. but thats a later project. i bet if i look hard i will be able to just find one

fastboy
11-11-2003, 05:46 AM
getting a finer pitch crown and pinion will make it run quiter BUT the meshing will be more critical,you wont be allowed any end float on the shaft at all or it will jump the teeth...why not use the dtm-x4 ones??..they are super quiet.

dave