PDA

View Full Version : Neo Magnets

Draconious
11-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Any one try my Mini-Z neo magnets in an X-Mod yet? -- curious if it fries, works, works better, works like crap, etc.. ;) (gain will be torque not RPM)will need bigger pinion so far as I know its a hard thing to do in the X mod...

neurokinetik
11-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, I have a set of them, and tried them with my X Speed motor in the Squat ball-bearing can. I couldn't tell the difference. They work great for keeping all of my screws together though.. :lol:

neurokinetik
11-10-2003, 02:43 PM
I didn't read your post properly the first time. Let's try that again...

I tried the Squat Neo Power magnets. Not the ones that you have that replace the magnets in the motor can. (Had I known about those when I placed my order, I would have went with them instead. :mad: )

I'm going to attempt to mount the Squat magnets directly in the motor can instead of outside, by sinking them directly into the stock magnets. It's worth a try...

Then I'll probably order a set of your neo magnets.

arch2b
11-16-2003, 10:44 AM
i created a mini-zracer a-bb monster motor using drac's neo magnets. i sue this motor only in my monster pajero overland as it has enough power to climb just about anything. it is about as fast as a sotck mini-z motor but almost unmanagable power. my pajero will wheelie from a dead stop! well, mostly it will completely flip over!

if your looking for absolute brute force, these powerful magnets will do the job, provided you use an fast armature and a bb can. this combo is not for racing. you will drag, push and generally bowl anyother xmod over though. the amount of power it gives you might not be good for the cheap gearing (from what i've read) though. it can and will strip gearing in overlands and racers.

just to give you an idea of how strong they are (http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album58/IMG_0252)

neurokinetik
11-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, they might be just the ticket with an AWD setup and the highest gearing available. That's the kind of setup I want. I used to use a motor made for a 4wd offroad car in my pan chassis RWD 1/12th scale. It took alot of finesse to come out of the corners straight, but the amazing acceleration made it worth it.

I've got a set on order, we'll see how they work.

TypeZer0
11-16-2003, 04:43 PM
so the magnets that aren't mounted inside the can is mounted outside on the can? would the steering magnets from bits work? they're pretty strong. or howabout those magnets in hard drives that move the arm? those are incredibly strong.

Draconious
11-18-2003, 09:29 PM
LOL might help if I came back to the thread I started, been busy messing with new PC, converting files etc.....

Any way, the squat magnets are literaly useless... you might notice a .001% difference... as for hardrive magnets, my magnets ARE the type of magnet used in hard drives... although some drives use similar but not the same type... they are stronger cuz they are larger... the more magnet you have the stronger the magnet of course... reason the squats are useless, they are too small, and too far away from the armature, and have to go through a piece of metal (the motor can) to get to the armature by the time all this happens there is virtualy no magnetic field left in the armature...

I only got these magnets to resell for the Mini-Z, cuz of the squat magnets being so weak, useless, and expensive for the cost, I set out to find the same magnets cheaper, and wound up getting entire magnet replacment sizes for the same price, and still cheaper then the squat disks were when they first were released (about $12 for squats back then).

In the Mini-Z X-Speed, my neos will DOUBLE the torque... but the RPM will drop about 25%... if you play with the gears you can either trade the torque for RPM, or just keep the torque.. as is, depends on the use... but if the x-mods gears are weak (i have not even seen an xmod offline yet), then it might be a bad idea.. lol.. unless alloy/nylon/delrin gears come out...

I rate them as being able to hold 1 pound... but this is to a small tiny contact patch to the magnet, if i were to maximize the contact patch to the magnet/item its holding, I could do well over 5-10 pounds.. with ONE magnet in the pair... they are Gauss: 12600~12900 or Tesla: 1.26~1.29 ---- it takes 1000 Gauss to erase a credit card... lol :) (going by that myth busters episode).

TypeZer0
11-18-2003, 09:39 PM
is it hard to swap the magnets inside the motor? do you still sell these magnets? when you said squat magnets, did you mean the steering magnets from the bits?

Draconious
11-19-2003, 12:52 AM
The squat mags are simlar to the bit-charge mags... just differeind diameter/thickness...

I realy dont recomend anyone that has not opened a motor can to install the magnets them self... its usualy a pain the first few times... just to open it. let alone keep the motor and capactior wires from breaking, brushes from bending, and bushings from missaligning...

neurokinetik
11-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Actually, I've noticed some things while opening and closing motor cans and how they apply to a Neo magnet.

It is better to desolder the capacitors on the terminals than the can. This way the endbell can be removed completely without exposing the magnets to the heat of the soldering iron. It is much easier to work on the motor with the endbell completely removed, and I think with the strength of these magnets, I'm going to want things to be as easy as possible.

It may be a good idea to affix the first magnet to the can with epoxy or some kind of strong glue, that way the potential for it flying across the motor can and impacting the other magnet during installation is lessened.

arch2b
11-19-2003, 02:10 PM
actually, the way they are situated, they repell one another so they slide right in and stay put. the most difficult part is getting the retaining pin back in.
i removed the bell cap as this did make things easier and the heat from a soldering iron is not good for the magnets. that's was drac's suggestion.

you MUST becareful with these magents. they will fly across the table or even pull things toward them! if they hit eachother, it will likely break them.

good luck with you neo xmod motor and give us a review of it's performance

Draconious
11-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Yep, I have about 8-10 broken pairs now, cuz cuz I keep grabbing a pair and playing with them... eventualy after flipping them pulling them apart a few times waiting for files or in chat rooms etc.. they break ;), usualy when I show them tos ome one else I wind up breaking them lol... I should problysell all the broken ones for something ;)

If I were to install a pair into an X-Speed I would not need a soldering iron.. to do it ;). unless I hapen to break a power or capacitor wire...

I usualy remove the end cap, by seperating it from the brush holder... then I bend the capacitors up, bending their wires, doing this too often to a capacitor WILL break it sometimes just once... then I remove the armature, swap the mags bend the brushes back down, make sure the brushes are siitting as good as possible... then I put the plastic end back on...

The trick/problems to X-Speeds is the metal bushigns on the shaft, if they are not inline once the motor is reassembled the armature will drag on them... eating at some of the torque, this is why I prefer bearing cans... but even then you need the bearings inline.. just does not have to be quantum accuracy.

neurokinetik
11-30-2003, 03:11 AM
How long should it tak for me to get these? It has been over two weeks since I ordered them.

BTW, I have learned to swap magnets with only the removal of the endbell now. No despoldering, no removal of the armature or pinion. Piece of cake. :D

arch2b
11-30-2003, 08:17 AM
:eek: shouldn't take that long......email drac, he's also on aim alot with the same name. i always got stuff from him in a very timely manner

neurokinetik
12-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Got my magnets today. I can't believe how strong these things are! Too strong, actually. I tried them in my 25 turn motor, and it won't even start spinning unless I give it a little push. Once spinning, it now only runs the same speed as a stock stage 2.

Time to get back to experimenting. I'll probably throw them into my X Speed next. I'm running out of stage 2s that still have their original armatures intact, and I like to keep one stock, just for reference.

arch2b
12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
i put my magnets in an a-bb motor which is slightly faster than an x-speed. i think the right mix is to put them in a very fast motor so that the drop in speed is not as noticeable so you get tons of torque and above average speed

neurokinetik
12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
I still have my A-BB motor (well, all the pieces of it anyway, they are currently scattered among something like three different motors :p ) Honestly, I never found that motor to be that impressive. I didn't find it to be nearly as fast as the X-Speed I had. It is basically an X-Speed armature in the Auldey can though, isn't it? That's what it looks like to me. I couldn't understand why it seemed so slow, when it sounded so nice outside of the car.

If the right mix is to put them in a very fast motor, then the 25 turn armature should have been the right choice. It seems to be too extreme, though. All top-end and no torque at all. If the stage 2 motors were really turning 30000 rpm (I know, they really aren't) then this motor turns more like 40000-45000. It's that much faster.

neurokinetik
12-06-2003, 12:06 AM
W000000t!

Just figured out something vitally important when using these Neo magnets!

I just tried them in my last remaining stock stage 2 motor. Same results as I had with the 25 turn motor. It wouldn't start unless I gave it some help.

I was about to try six cells on it to see if that would help, but I thought of something else first: Use the giant power cap that I bought, as it would be capable of storing the energy needed to start this torque monster up. Sure enough, it works! The motor has pretty instantaneous response now, though throttle response now is basically like an on/off switch. :lol:

Time to swap these babies back into the 25 turn motor and see how they do. If they work, it will be time to swap on the 11 tooth pinion and run the car.

Finally, some success!

(Side note... getting these things into a motor is easy. Getting back out really sucks...)

arch2b
12-06-2003, 11:09 AM
hehe, i can verify that (difficulty getting them out)
i never thought to try a power cap.... i don't have a problem getting mine to move in the a-bb motor. i loose the intial crawl speed but that's not a real concern to me. the extreme power is what i really enjoy! i can push or pull anyother overland with it.

your right in that the overall range of speed (crawl to full speed) seems decreased but it makes up for it though.

TypeZer0
12-06-2003, 11:48 AM
is that the cap that goes parallel with the batteries that i've seen before? tried it once, saw no difference with the stock motor so i took i tback off. it's supposed to smooth out and lessen the voltage drop when you hit the throttle right?

neurokinetik
12-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by TypeZer0
is that the cap that goes parallel with the batteries that i've seen before? tried it once, saw no difference with the stock motor so i took i tback off. it's supposed to smooth out and lessen the voltage drop when you hit the throttle right?

That is correct. In this case, it is a 10000μF 10V cap. Most people use 4700μF, so I figured I'd go one better. It stores enough energy that when I remove the batteries, the steering servo will still turn back and forth one time before going dead. :D It is really a mod that is only necessary when you are running a motor with a very high current draw, like the one I am running, hence the reason it made no difference with the stock setup.

Originally posted by arch2b
your right in that the overall range of speed (crawl to full speed) seems decreased but it makes up for it though.

It isn't just that, it's also that the motor stops almost instantly when you let off the throttle. You lose the ability to "coast" with this type of setup.

TypeZer0
12-06-2003, 01:19 PM
you wanan go one up some more? www.allelectronics.com has a 1 farad super capacitor that i believe is about the size of a 4700microfarad cap but wider like a stack of quarters.

arch2b
12-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by neurokinetik
...It isn't just that, it's also that the motor stops almost instantly when you let off the throttle. You lose the ability to "coast" with this type of setup.

opps, i forgot to mention that didn't i;) well, in the overlands, it acts as a great hill or descent brake...so it's nice actually. but your right, as soon as you let go of the gas...it comes to a screaching halt. i can't even get the rear wheels to move when i push it...

neurokinetik
12-06-2003, 02:50 PM
you wanan go one up some more? www.allelectronics.com has a 1 farad super capacitor that i believe is about the size of a 4700microfarad cap but wider like a stack of quarters.

I thought about going that route, but I didn't, for three reasons:

1 - cost. Those kinds of caps tend to go for $5-10 or more.

2 - voltage capability. They normally are designed for 5V or less

3 - current capability. They are generally not designed to output lots of current like a normal electrolytic cap can do.

TypeZer0
12-06-2003, 03:25 PM
you're kinda right, http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=140910&item=CBC-12&type=store 5.5 volts rated and it goes for 3.75 plus 5 bucks shipping

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=140910&item=CBC-125&type=store 2.5 volts rating but only a buck each.

neurokinetik
12-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Well, I tried the 25 turn motor in the car, and though it is much improved with the Neos, it is still a pretty wretched performer.

But... here's a killer combo...

Start with a stage 2 armature, remove 5 turns per pole. Advance the timing by cranking the commutator counterclockwise (when looking at the commutator end of the motor) about 15˚. Drop it into an Auldey BB can with Drac's Neo magnets.

I don't need to "kick start" this one like I did the others.

What I don't know is if the stock ESC will be able to handle this kind of abuse. :lol:

In the car, the acceleration is pretty decent, despite using the 11T gear set.
I don't have the space to top it out in my living room, but it seems to hit better speeds than my tweaked S2 drag, which can hit top speed in about 15 feet or less.

Draconious
12-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Guess I will have to actualy try the capacitors on my Mini-Z (dont have an Xmod yet).. see if it helps, had some sitting here to use, but never had the guts to solder them on, and I am waiting for a new soldering iron in mail after trashing mine lol...

If any one realy wants to experiment... try one neo magnet, and one other magnet from a motor, and let me know if it still spins, if its faster/slower... (this is for those that are realy bored, and can test the voltage/amp draw of the motor before using it to make sure it dont fry the board). I did this to a larger motor once and I swear it spun like all hell... but motor was huge and heavy for me to use it in anything.. ive never got aroudn to testing it on a mini-z by the time I do it... well Im to lazy lol.

Draconious
12-31-2003, 12:15 AM
Any more magnet useage updates?!

Still awaiting a new soldering iron to try capacitors ;)

neurokinetik
12-31-2003, 11:05 AM
The last combo I posted is still in use, though torque output pales in comparison to the 180 motors I'm using now. I may try dropping in a 35 turn arm into that can and compare it to the same setup in a Yeah Racing can with the thinner Neos.

Now, how about Neo magnets in a 180 motor? Yummy....

cdog4w
01-25-2004, 03:47 AM
Anyone know how the neos from Draconious compare to the pnracing neos? I want to get a BB can, but mini-zracer.com is out of them and Drac doesn't sell them. I was hoping to do my shoping in one place so I was wondering how the PN BB can and PN neo mags match up?

(This would be to transplant a mini-x armature to maintain 4wd)

Thanks in advance.

neurokinetik
01-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Honestly, the PN Neos work a little better for me. The problem with Drac's magnets is that they really kill top speed on a motor due to their strength. A motor that uses Drac's magnets also will not coast. With AWD, it is not so bad, it just means that the car brakes hard every time you let off the throttle. With RWD, the rear wheels lock, and the car spins out.

TypeZer0
01-25-2004, 12:10 PM
jus curious, where are you shopping for the PN racing stuff?

xxspeednplayaxx
01-25-2004, 12:14 PM
www.rcmart.com really long load times

cdog4w
01-25-2004, 01:16 PM
http://www.pnracing.us/

They have the BB case, neo mags, even carbon brushes if you know what to do with those :P (I certainly don't).

I picked up a spare 2WD motor for my mini-x that I'm going to mess with. I'm probably not ever going to run it since I love me some 4WD, but it should be a good little engine to play with the insides of a motor.

neurokinetik
01-25-2004, 04:08 PM
jus curious, where are you shopping for the PN racing stuff?

Now that you mention it, I am actually using the Yeah Racing ones from rcmart. Not the PN Racing as I originally stated. They are both the thin Neo type, though, and that is what is important. The one stup they have with the BB can and thin Neos already installed is the way to go.

cdog4w
01-25-2004, 04:47 PM
http://www.yeahracing.com

heh, theres no way to buy anything that they have there. No buttons to add to cart etc. Maybe its a new page that they just put up.

So you think the PN BB can and Neos should be fine though?

Thanks neuro.

TypeZer0
01-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by xxspeednplayaxx
www.rcmart.com really long load times

yeah, i only knew this site cuz i think neuro mentioned it but i rather not buy from an HK site, delivery takes a while. totally forgot about pn racing's own site

13 bucks for a pnracing can..yeesh. rather get a complete 180 motor from towerhobbies for a lil less

Draconious
01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
I will note that I have seen others complain about the magnets they bought (NOT MINE!), the PN mangets they got corroded, the nickle plating "fell off" or whatever... but only 2 instances of this have been brought to my attention... might be more might not be... I have some cheap neo magnets I got from ebay before I got my motor magnets... and these cheap ebay magnets small tiny disks, like the squat magnets... are also falling apart... sort of rusting if you will... and once they rust the coating cant stay together.... so far as I know this has not, and will not happen to my magnets, the coating is thicker...

I fail to see how the PN magnet can actualy be called better...
Its weaker, less durrable, and has a weaker heat threshold, even if the differences are minimal...

If a motor winding matches a PN magnet strength better then mine it will go faster I guess, but if it matches my magnets strength it will go even faster yet... the problem lies in that I have no clue what "matches" my magnets... was hoping every one would supply feed back on that, but aint gotten much... It is possible the Xmod motors just cant handle them though... I dont know what type of internals are in an Xmod motor... (what type of brushes does the Xmod have? no one has answered that question for me yet!)

If your motor "drags" too much try re-orienting the magnets in the motor can... rotate one so the colored side is in the can and one faces out of the can or something... I painted the red black on them my self... so if the orientation matters, it might need to be rotated... I realy dont think it does though cuz the poles are from inside to outside of can... and make sure the bearings are rotating freely that the can is not crooked... the slightest offset with out a bearing can, will DEFINATLY cause drag... reason I prefer ball bearings you can kinda be off a little, but even then its gota be relatively inline...

neurokinetik
01-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Maybe I should try that 21 turn double with your magnets. I dunno, it seemed like the guys at Mini-Zracer.com were having a hard time finding the right combo with them as well. They are great for making monster torque, but very hard to get the speed. I'll try rotating one and see if it helps.

arch2b
01-26-2004, 07:43 PM
i think neuro has a good understanding of the pros and cons of a motor with the magnets. my monster a-bb with drac neo's has enough torque/power to pull wheelies in overlands from a dead stop but you loose slow speed control. there is a fine balance out there to be had by someone with enough time and experience to find it. i would love to know what it is myself ;)

if you like to fool around with making motors, you cna't go wrong with getting a pair of drac's neo's.

IBAUCLAPla
01-28-2004, 04:45 PM
I have a RSX that I want to use for all round racing. My friends use stage two 11t sb hybrids so I want to have a higher top speed than my friends and more torque than their car. I have AWD, bearings, CF driveshaft, and hard suspension all round on my RSX. I ordered two sets of neo mags off rcmart.com. Now like I said I want to beat my friends off line and alone race w/ my engine. Right now all i have is the stage two engines and 22 26 and 30 gauge wire. What do you recommend I do with my motor. I am prob going to try blue with neos first and if that don't work then i am goin to wrap a 38 turn 26 gague motor and try it with those. How do you think that will work for RSX.

Now I also have a strictly drag supra that is RWD and has nothing on it as of now. I have the cf driveshaft and bearings to use for it. I want to probably buy a few 180 motors and try diff wraps on those. I want this car to absolutely whop ass in 40-100 ft drag races. What do you recommend I wrap the 180 motor w/? How many wraps. I will use the neos too. I don't want to upgrade the fet because it is too complicated. Thanks for all the hlep

Desslok
02-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Drac how do I contact you to purchase a set of your neo's ?
your website in your profile doesent seem to work.
thx

neurokinetik
02-02-2004, 08:29 AM
http://www.draconious.com/

Draconious
02-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Hmm forgot my old .net url was in profile.. lol...
But yes its in my mini-z "product" page... not much of a web store but it sometimes works...

I guess if I ever get my lazy arse to do any more tests, the next test will be to try a pair of my magnets that I broke in half in a motor can... so there is half a magnet on either side of the armature... trick is to find a way to hold them in..............

(dont go breaking your mangets in half, they sometimes shatter into small pieces if you do it on purpose).

Desslok
02-26-2004, 02:44 PM
What I would really like to see is a good set of neo's for a 180 motor!!

meteoraclown
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
what i but the mags into the top speed motor. will that equal out or still kind of stink. what if i put it in a drag motor.

neurokinetik
04-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Neos would probably help a bit with the torque, but it would ocme at the expense of a little of the top speed.

meteoraclown
04-06-2004, 07:33 PM
ehh. i want some neos for 180. might go off topic but if i get the team orian stock how many windings should i drop to.

baleisen
04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Nobody has addressed the actual mechanism by which these motors work. (See no cussing so far. Add those words freely in your own mind.)
By using NEO magnets one increases the magnetic field in the can. This increases the "push" on the motor armature, spinning it faster. Everybody with me so far?
The increased spin causes an increase in the reverse voltage in the coils, slowing them down but torquing their coils to the max. Somebody was right when they said that magnets and armatures that are fitted to each other are the best.

baleisen
04-19-2004, 03:20 PM
So, add these new hot Spaceman Spiff magnets and get a slower motor. True. Very true at first. But you have to buy 4 motors at a time from RS. Buy a new set.
Its trashing time! Grab a beer, lock the old lady and kids out of the shop, put ACDC music on..(But I digress)
Get a few of the BB cans from minizracer.com or others.
HEY TINYRC, WHY DON'T YOU SELL THEM HERE?
Get the can caps from Tiny. 4 to a pack. These are not ceramic. They are epoxy and take heat better.
Take your stage 2 motor apart carefully. Notice that the brushes are flat, not rounded. (Add cuss words here) (again). Back to this later.
You didn't remove the caps from the can did you? The bell housing separates from the brush housing. Carefully bend the brush housing back without disturbing the brush arms.
Remove the magnets. Put them back in. Do this a few times until you are comfortable installing and removing magnets.
You may open the second beverage now.

Feeling better? Too bad. Continue.
Now we will start.
Put Crest Spinbrush magnets in this 1st try.
Take a BB Can. Install 2 of the can caps. One each where the RS caps were. Only solder the can side of the caps. Rub silicone spray on the backs of the magnets. Lube the bearings. Install the magnets, armature, and brushes. Spray the armature with Trinity Armature lube. Close the bell housing without pushing in the locking tabs. It should hold together. If it doesn't, tape around it with clear tape. This is very temporary. Test the motor to see if it rotates in the right direction. If it doesn't, swap the magnets. That should be easy for you now.
Now you may close the tabs, sealing the motor against further concerns (You have 3 more)
Carefully run the motor at 1/2 voltage or less for at least an hour to conform the brush heads.
I prefer the water method. 'Search' these methods. I won't get into them here. After the brushes are broken in, solder the caps, the electrolytic cap across them and the motor wire. Try running it. You should like your first motor rebuild.

THE PINION GEAR!?!

Oh yes, use a gear puller or a torch to remove the pinion gear. Put it back on with a hammer.

I haven't touched the armature rebuild yet. I need a beverage.

10_second_supra
05-26-2004, 04:22 PM
cool 8ooth post in this forum

edizzle
06-12-2004, 12:33 PM
i didnt feel like readin all that stuff does it workinx mod motors.
i plan to put them in my yellowstage two motor(10 teeth):D

baleisen
06-12-2004, 07:40 PM
It works very well if you properly break in the motor. Make sure that you buy a ball bearing can like Squat sells through Tinyrc.com
BAE

edizzle
06-15-2004, 04:33 PM
wat would happen if u dont get a berring case???

baleisen
06-15-2004, 08:20 PM
You won't get the best benefits per cost. The can now comes with carbon brushes. Do a good break in and you will be happy.
Don't and you will be sad in a couple 100 yards of running.
Remember to advance the timing, too.

edizzle
06-17-2004, 05:34 PM
im not exactly sure wat that means??
umm please explain the timing and how to break in and other stuff pleaz..

baleisen
06-18-2004, 12:04 PM
OK. Buy a squat motor can with bearings from TinyRC. Get 0.1 uF ceramic capacitors from RS. The timing change is documented on www.atomicmods.com (I think. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong) Break the motor in by hooking it up to a power supply set at 3.0 volts. Have the motor outside of the car so you don't wear the gears. Run it for 1/2 hour to set the brushes.

edizzle
06-20-2004, 10:22 PM
ya so far these magnets suuk every way i put them in my car goes backwords?????
yyyyy:confused:

baleisen
06-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Reverse the positive and negative leads to the motor.

edizzle
06-22-2004, 12:23 PM
i wish i new what that meant??????/
:confused:

edizzle
06-22-2004, 06:01 PM
nm i no how ill see if it works
:rolleyes:

baleisen
06-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Swap the wires going to the motor. Reverse the ends that are on the motor.

baleisen
06-22-2004, 07:35 PM
I can now set the carbon brushes in 5.00 min but I am not using water. You need to clean the armature after break-in also.
Hook the motor and only run it at 3.0 V. Check it every 0.5 min for good brush shape. They should fit the armature without gaps. Clean the armature with alcohol and a Q-tip. Clean the area thoroughly with small pointy tools. The Q-tip leaves fluff that is bad. I use a very small set of hemostats that I filed thinner. Then spray with armature lube again.
Buy a few extra sets of brushes. The practice is good if you mess up a set or 2 by not paying attention at a crucial time.
BAE

edizzle
06-30-2004, 11:33 PM
My motor now goes the right way, but you have to give it a push to start, and it goes slow. please help
sencerly,
edizzle

revengeturbo
07-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Just got a set of drac`s neo magnets. I`ve installed them into an old plasma dash housing and I`m busy rewinding the armature to 25t double with .25mm wire. Let you know how it goes...

baleisen
07-01-2004, 02:56 PM
How much current wil that take?

revengeturbo
07-02-2004, 12:42 AM
The standard plasma dash motor is a 27t single, but is wound with .4mm wire, you can run it on as little as 2.4v but it works better on 4.8. Standard drain is 4.2 amps if I remember correctly, hope to take that down with the double wind.Stock it`s way down on torque, being a low wind single with REALLY crap magnets, but because of the OS commutator and trick brush setup it makes awesome power. I`m pretty keen to see how it goes double wound with heavy magnets, even more keen to see it with 7.2v but my car`s maxing out (stuttering) when I put 6 bats on board...