PDA

View Full Version : fwd x mod

rucrazy4rc
10-19-2003, 07:02 AM
after taking apart my x mod a fwd is possible just take the diff from the back and put it in the front you would have to move the whole assembly dog bones included,then take the assembly from the front and put it in the rear including the center plasic piece that came with the car,also install bearings, i will be doing this with the civic when i get one for a true affect

Geckoboy
10-19-2003, 09:08 AM
attully u can only do it if u get AWD
then u take out the rear diff. and your done

TypeZer0
10-19-2003, 11:38 AM
gecko's right, the rear lacks a u-joint to allow for steering. just grab the awd kit, it has an LSD to give u better grip

Silent_NightR34
10-19-2003, 01:26 PM
yeah it is posssible to do it but you need the 4 wheel drive kit because it comes with this pinon gear thing you need to connect the front...then just put the front swing arms on the back and you have a front wheel drive car:) ..i dont feel like doing it because it gave me such a hard time...or you can just not put in the diff on the rear end...

Murcielago659
10-20-2003, 12:16 AM
Just wondering, why would you want a FWD car?

Fusion
10-20-2003, 12:27 AM
My guess is to make it more real. Example: the real civic is a front wheel drive. Making a FWD might make the car handle differently. I might try this when I get some time. I had thought of it but have not had the time to see if it would work.

Micro S2000
10-20-2003, 04:00 PM
goint into turns you wouldnt have spin outs like in a real wheel drive car since the real wheels wouldnt lose traction

XMODADDICT
10-20-2003, 04:03 PM
^^^^^SO TRU^^^^^

Skurge420
12-06-2003, 10:44 PM
I tried this.......

one problem tho

the driveshaft....the gear at the back of the car. after i did the FWD mod(took out rear diff, and switched the front axels to the back) the gear would come off the end of the shaft and hit the bottom of the body?

how did you guys get it to stay there?

I could glue that end on but then it would be more of a pain to get out the shaft if i have to

aperson
12-07-2003, 12:01 AM
to make a car FWD you have to have the AWD kit and youll have to a) remove the rear differential or b) replace the rear half shafts (metal or plastic rods that the rear wheels mount to) with the original metal front pins that are used in the stock RWD car

Skurge420
12-07-2003, 06:36 PM
what do you do with the gear on the long driveshaft(front to back)

Lucid Dreams
12-07-2003, 09:36 PM
i bet this would be good for a road race car, no spin outs in turn=taking the turn alot faster

NOS man
12-07-2003, 09:49 PM
i tried fwd. it has VERY bad traction. there iz no power to grip the road or go uphill. i reccomend not doin dis.

aperson
12-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Skurge420
what do you do with the gear on the long driveshaft(front to back)

u just leave the gear on the back of the drive shaft on.

Skurge420
12-08-2003, 11:33 AM
you cant make it work anyway.....if you take out the rear diff....the long driveshaft will slide around and the cone gear in the rear will hit the chassis in the back............and if you take that gear out then your front wheels wont be spinning

either way there is almost no traction with FWD mod......so who cares

gotzoom?
12-09-2003, 06:31 PM
I have done the FWD conversion, and the car handles as good as all wheel drive and with the speed of two wheel drive.

The proper way to do this mod is to shave the teeth off the rear diff, that way the diff keeps the gear on the driveshaft, but does not turn the rear wheels. If anyone needs pics, I will post them on request.

Snow
12-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Skurge420
you cant make it work anyway.....if you take out the rear diff....the long driveshaft will slide around and the cone gear in the rear will hit the chassis in the back............and if you take that gear out then your front wheels wont be spinning

either way there is almost no traction with FWD mod......so who cares

I agree. FWD is teh suxors.:D

3series takumi
12-09-2003, 08:22 PM
i tried fwd, if you have a powerful motor the car wont grip. when i cornered, if i put on a little gas the front would slip and would make MAJOR understeer. if the car could turn sharper then it would make up for it. i tired it with and xmod and a minix. the minix was a little better cause of the better turning radius but still not race worthy. i will say it is sweet to watch it spin the wheels for days... but i can do that with rwd too ;p

i will stick to awd and 4wd

if you can adjust the rear diff you can run slip in the back and it wont understeer. i do that with the minix but i havent figured out how to do that in the xmod, any ideas?

weba2nkill3r
12-09-2003, 08:38 PM
this is re-post. somebody allready did this. u can put yellow bushings to keep the gear in place.

Micro S2000
12-09-2003, 11:02 PM
i just took the rear differential out nad it works fine

XMODADDICT
12-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Micro S2000
i just took the rear differential out nad it works fine seeing as how you have a SKYLINE, why would you even think of FWD'ing it????