PDA

View Full Version : new rims!!!

3series takumi
10-15-2003, 07:40 PM
whoohoo!!! more rims to use. i took some of the new xmods wheels and put them on the minix with about 15mins of mod work. they look sweet! now i have 4 styles of rims to run with and better tires to use on them too!!

i love xmods or shall i call them mini-x-mods :)

next is suspesion!

i got a suspension set, a 3 rim style set, and 4 tire set kit for $28 at the local radioshack

dgilpin
10-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Are they wider than stock? If so, they might look better with the mini-x lexan bodies than stock rims. Do you think overland or mini-z or mini-x tires fit those rims?

3series takumi
10-16-2003, 12:15 AM
they are about 1mm wider, they have a seam that runs along the middle that matches with the seam of the tires so they hold on. that will work for overland tires but not for miniz tires

cdog4w
10-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Heh, ive been waiting to see if any xmods stuff could be used on the mini-x. So how much work did you have to do to get those rims on takumi?

I still have to wait for tiny to restock the mini-x wheel nut wrench, stupidly I didn't order it when I got my X. I suppose I could try something else, but I'll wait for the proper tool after half stripping many body screws already.

3series takumi
10-17-2003, 09:16 PM
it is very easy. the holes are the same size but xmod wheels hole had a flat side that grips to the xmod shafts. i just used a drill to get rid of that flat side and then used a dremel to cut a groove to fit the pin of the minix axles. about 5mins per wheel for me. i think that these rims work better than the original wheels cause they fit the axle perfectly.

as soon as a get a camera workin you will see my minix using the the spring suspension of the xmod. it looks just like a 1/10th scale turing car now. next i will put that suspension on the back and make sway bars. then i will be done with the suspension tuning

keep an eye out for my next post!

cdog4w
10-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Awesome :P

Doh, I'm waiting for tiny to restock that stupid wheel nut wrench, tho I'm not even sure if my ratshacks have xmods in stock yet. I don't know much about RC suspension, is the design of the xmods suspension better than that of the Mini-X? My own take on it is that the Mini-X suspension looks like that of a toy while the XMods looks more like that of a real car (and by extension a 1/10 car as you say).

Anyway, excited to see how your suspension mod turns out takumi. Will you be able to adjust ride height with it? I know on the current X you can lower the rear, but not much else...