PDA

View Full Version : XMOD steering

adroit
10-11-2003, 01:06 PM
I have heard rumors of XMODS having only 16 step steering. Can anyone verify this?

ridealot100
10-11-2003, 01:12 PM
even if it is 16 step that is still great. zipzap se has like 4 or 5 step

oOfrog_BoyOo
10-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Actully there have been people reporting8 steps each way

ripper7777777
10-11-2003, 11:41 PM
16 steps is not great it's horrible and should be unacceptable, if these cars are suppose to take on mini-z's then there gonna need to be able to corner. 16 steps would be great for an se for a 1/28th scale car it's horrible, and don't say it's only 50 bucks, epochs are fully proportional, puchi maru's are fully proportional, and so are lxx mini-z's, all which are 50 bucks.

RS has done it again.......:mad:

Cubicle
10-13-2003, 04:02 AM
When i first heard about this i must admit...it did drop the enthusiasm down a notch. I may have to purchase these second hand but im not quite sure yet.

When RS released the Viper and Vette Epoch clones with 8 step propo ....for the money they were good clones (only when they dropped down to $10-30 bucks as the steering and donuts were horrible). I had FUN with the cars....so i can imagine 16 step propo will be twice as nice. BUT on the other hand..you can pick up a 4 inch (indoor friendly) Spec 1 Epoch for $50 SHIPPED and its full propo and smaller and handles great.

It was a clear choice a week ago but now..i just dont know if i want to buy one brand new....most likely i will but im just not sure now....

Bad Company
10-13-2003, 08:31 AM
I will admit that my enthusiasm has died down a little now that I have seen them and learned of the propo steering issues, but I'm still pretty excited to get my hands on these to mod and all of the possibilities. I guess I'll save my final decision on just how many of these I'll purchase until I try one out myself.

rayman
10-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Maybe the Kyosho Receiver/Servo/ESC Unit for the Overland could be an option.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEBH6&P=7

I don't have either an XMOD or an Overland, but came across the above mentioned item. I'm assuming the Overland is fully proportional.

mcojoc
10-13-2003, 09:27 AM
Who mentioned them not being Propo? I don't see that anywhere.

At any rate, I purchased the RSX Last night but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. (Won't until tomorrow night)... I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out as it pertains to proportional steering. Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of the car and the packaging as well as their aftermarket items. I purchased the phase 1 motor kit, body kit (with controller wheel), ball bearings and all wheel drive kit for $130.00... Readily available parts at reasonable prices... If performance is within reason, I'll be a big booster of these things.... More to come.

Bad Company
10-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by mcojoc
Who mentioned them not being Propo? I don't see that anywhere.
It's not an issue of them not being propo, rather the number of steps there are. Most people are saying anywhere from 8-14 steps each way. We all know how RS has handled propo steering in the SE's, I just hope they didn't cut corners again in the XMods.

mcojoc
10-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Gotcha. I'll try to give my impressions as soon as I have a free moment or two to try the car out. I'll Check the proportional aspects prior to assembling the car. I should be able to see the axle movement from above and without resistance from the tires, get a better view of the steering and how it steps. I've been in R/C back since the late 70's, so even if they are stepped as opposed to truely proportional, I'll try to be objective on my opinions on it's smoothness, and if I feel the # of steps is adequate for the car to be of any good to us all....

*** Also of note: There is a steering sensitivity knob on the xmod controller... Perhaps those with steering problems have the setting jacked up?

DAMZer
10-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Guys, I've run through 2 packs of bats and really, the number of steps in the steering has not been an issue. If I hadn't seen this thread I wouldn't have even noticed it. I don't run ZZ's and that is probably why its not an issue to me. The steering is smooth enough to control even if its a tad lacking in the amount of throw. It fits my driving style of run and gun.:D

RCDuggiedug
10-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by DAMZer
Guys, I've run through 2 packs of bats and really, the number

What type of batteries? What run-times? Wonder if these Xmods could stand up to 7.2 volts with 2 Li-poly cells?

RCDuggiedug

mcojoc
10-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Damzer:

Glad you are enjoying the car! Regardless of what anyone (myself included!) thinks, that is what is most important. My opinions on the steering are based on my own experiences.

As for batteries, Get the rechargables! You'll save money in the long run...

DAMZer
10-15-2003, 12:56 PM
mcojoc

Yep running rechargeables, ray-o-vac 15 minute bats from my mini-z's. Its been a hoot and with the stage 2 yellow whatever gear it is, it will challenge the Mini-Z with an x-speed.

RCDuggiedug

Can't help you on the total run time, haven't had a chance to drain a set in one run, 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there..........just been playing and upgrading

Wish I could use a Perfex or my M8 though...........

RCDuggiedug
10-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by DAMZer
mcojoc

RCDuggiedug

Can't help you on the total run time, haven't had a chance to drain a set in one run, 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there..........just been playing and upgrading

20 Minutes. I'll be satisfied with that for now if and when I get one. My RS guy said he should be getting them in by next thrusday (just over a week) on his Christmas shipment. I'm probably going to get one but can't decide if I want a ZZSE too.

DAMZer, When you said the X will challenge a Mini-z. Do you have the AWD kit installed or did you mean stock two wheel drive?

I've been into planes for a long time and haven't done much with cars for a while eccept 1/10 gas. I've wanted a Mini-z for a while but even though they are priced resonable for the car and radio, I haven't jumped at one. BUT, Xmods are getting me excited.

DAMZer
10-15-2003, 10:51 PM
2WD and the stage 2 motor. Will try some softer front tires from my mini-z's to get more steering, maybe some GPM 10 degree rubber rads would do the trick......will let you know when I get more time;)