PDA

View Full Version : Sucky Booster Controller

aballen
09-22-2002, 05:35 PM
Anyone have trouble with the booster controller? Mine sucks. My other modded Tomy controller with my evo gets a range of like 16'. It has the cripple mod removed from the car, the antenna mod on the car, and the telescopic antenna mod on the controller, there was no cripple cap on the controller so i diddnt have to remove it.

When I try to control the same car with the booster controller, I can put the controller in one hand the car in the other and it stutters when I hold them apart(maybe 6'). I even tried on my castrol supra(booster machine) it also has the cripple cap removed and the antenna mod, same thing about 6' till stutter.

Is there a booster controller mod that will fix this? Without it my booster machine is pretty much unusable!!!
:confused:

tinyrc
09-25-2002, 11:11 AM
aballen, unfortunately the booster controller is notorious for its poor range. Some people have reported ranges as low as 2' ! The best mod for the booster is the telescopic antenna; have a search around and you will find a booster controller with 50' range, I can't recall what other mods they did to it if any.

killboy
09-26-2002, 11:39 PM
I've done the telescopic treatment to my booster controller, and it's not bad now. I was thinking though - building on the copper wire "network" over our track - you could attach a length of copper wire to the antenna and maybe make, like, a 4 foot loop that hangs down from the tip of the antenna, which would not be extended.

I know with our copper extensions over the track, we can leave the antenna retracted and the range is still excellent. It's inside a small building though so I haven't had a chance to test the maximum range.

aballen
09-28-2002, 05:19 PM
Well I went all the way with my booster.

1) Rx antenna mod(I use some pretty heavy gauge solid copper wire)
2) Rx cripple cap removed, yes there is a cripple cap on the booster Rx as well, it is in the same spot as on the non-booster Rx. How do I know? Well I removed it and my booster has better range, more importantly, it still works!!
3) Telescopic antenna on the booster Tx
4) Fresh batteries in the Tx, this may have made the biggest difference

Anyway I'm well over 20' range now, Im very happy with that!!!

My favorite part about this is that now we know even though the booster and non-booster Rx boards have some differences, the cripple cap mod works on both!!!:D