PDA

View Full Version : ZipZaps: Antenna Mod pics available in Gallery

Namuna
09-22-2002, 01:01 PM
HERE (http://tinyrc.com/gallery/ZZAntenna)

One of the easier mods I've done. The LAME ZZ antenna HAD TO GO!

What you need:
- Pencil tip soldering iron (I used a 30watt)
- 24gauge, or thinner, solid core wire (that's my preference anyway, 24gauge is a bit heavy so you might want to go thinner)
- Some solder, of course

Procedure:
Note: Refer to the pictures in the Gallery if any of my descriptions seem a bit vague.

Preparation:
1. Cut the new antenna to length. (Actually cut a little more than you need, it's easier to cut any extra off, than it is to redo!)
2. Strip about 1/8" from the tip of the new antenna, then coat it with a little solder, this is going to be the part that gets soldered to the PCB.

Remove the old:
1. Press the tip of the soldering pencil to the solder point of the old antenna. Once the solder liquifies, you should be able to pull the wire right out.

Install the new:
Note: The solder joint for the Antenna on the PCB is actually a hole through the PCB itself. This actually makes life much easier!
1. While pressing the new antenna tip against the 'hole', appply the soldering pencil on the opposite side to liquify the solder
2. Once the solder liquifies, the antenna tips should slide right through the hole
3. Let the tip go through just enough to have it poke through the top just a little.

That's it, you're done and now have a new Antenna on your ZipZap!

tinyrc
09-25-2002, 11:07 AM
Namuna, looks great - what kind of range did you get before and after this mod?

kwikbb
09-25-2002, 11:13 AM
I just did the mod last night, and it extended the range only 2'-3' at most. But hey it looks better :D. I'm using a 27mhz freq. what freq. are you using Namuna?