PDA

View Full Version : Solar Micro #3

Azimov
06-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Here is my third solar micro. This car is built on a stock Zip chassis. This car is a combination of what I learned building cars 1 and 2. It contains a 2.5VDC 1Farad aerogel cap and sports the solar array (2.7VDC @ 324mA) like SM1.

Azimov
06-06-2003, 04:58 PM
The body is custom made from polystyrene sheets. The chassis clips into the body using the standard front and rear Zip chassis tabs. The body is a bit on the wide side as it was built to accomidate the wider solar cells. But, this allowed for lowering the body quite a bit, so I am pleased with the outcome.

Azimov
06-06-2003, 05:05 PM
The car is using the blue ZZ gear set and the green motor. Performance is exactly what I wanted these little solar micros to do. It runs as if it had a dual cell mod. It runs continuously at very high power levels much like it was battery powered. It can run for quite some time on the cap alone, so there is no problem when driving through shade or in overcast conditions. The car begins moving before the cap is filled and continues to charge the cap during use. The range is incredable, well over 300 ft. The car will raise the front end off the ground when accelerating in reverse and slamming into forward.

ViperKid
06-06-2003, 05:11 PM
i want to be the first to say SWEET A!

that really is super cool..not only is it solar powered it looks great

:D ;) :D

Azimov
06-06-2003, 05:12 PM
I must say I'm very pleased with this car's performance. It runs fast. It runs for unlimited run times. And, it has a nice aesthetic look to it. The cost would tend to keep it out of the range of the average builder, but if solar is your bag then this is the car.
The cost is as follows:
1 Zip Zap....20.00
1 Aerogel Cap....4.00
5 super solar cells... 37.50 (links to these can be found in my other solar posts)
total.............................61.50
Not that bad really. You would offset this cost quickly in batteries alone.
This car is built on a 27Mhz chassis. Solar Micro 1 was built on a 49 Mhz chassis. Solar Micro 2 was built on a 49Mhz chassis, but does not interfere with SM1 since it is a MotorWorks car. This allows me to race them all day long in the hot Georgia sun without a recharge!:D

Namuna
06-06-2003, 06:59 PM
As usual, excellent stuff!

feathercraft1
06-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Could you tell me where you bought the cap and the Super Solar Cell from?Sundance doesn't have them.That car absolutely blew me away!I wanna build one of those so BAD!Please reply ASAP,because I wanna build one!:D

PS,could you also give me any tips when building it.

Thanks alot Matt

Azimov
06-22-2003, 04:37 PM
You can get the solar cells here:
http://www.solar-world.com/SuperCells&SpecialPhotovoltaics.htm
You will need the .5 VDC @ 250-400Ma. And, I would go as big as you can.
I got those 1F super caps at solarbotics.com. But, you can also get Panasonic gold super caps in that range at Digikey.com.
The conversion is pretty straight forward. Take the stock battery out. Remove the battery connector/charging tabs, and desolder the wires that are connected to them. Take 5 (four will work too, but 5 seems optimum) of the solar cells hooked together in series and solder the positive and negative leads of the solar array to the cap and the two power leads you just unhooked from the old battery terminals. Just solder both negative leads and both positive leads to the positive and negative leads of the cap. Place the cap where the battery used to be. I usually solder the cap, PCB power leads, and two long pieces of insulated wire together and reassemble the chassis with the long leads coming up through the PCB cover. This way you can attach the solar array later after the chassis is reassembled and all those delicate bits are safe. Now, just hook the wires to the solar array leaving enough slack between the body and the chassis to make getting back into the chassis again easier. Or, find a tiny micro two prong connector to attach the body's solar power leads to the chassis. Now, just put it in the sun for endless fun! Well, as long as it doesn't rain anyways. Good luck and let us see a picture when you're done.

strider_mt2k
06-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Just beautiful!

Ovgron
06-23-2003, 07:19 PM
thats really neat, the body alone could be cool. I thought of a solar powered car myself a long time ago, but i didnt have a way to actually get the cell on the car in anyway.

PWalk
07-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Thats incredible!

great work!

rmyc
07-18-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Azimov
The range is incredable, well over 300 ft.

hmmm.. wouldn't that be the bit/zz record?? how did you manage to get that range??? i guess you ment 30ft

Azimov
07-18-2003, 03:17 AM
hmmm.. wouldn't that be the bit/zz record?? how did you manage to get that range??? i guess you ment 30ft
I don't know about any rtecords, but the range is accurate. I have other cars that get over 400ft of range. I've posted about this many times, but get few responses. I suppose I am not believed, but that's OK. It's simply a matter of tuning the antennas to a proper length and adjusting the antenna coil.

JackD
07-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Wow. That is truly impressive. A+ in my book.

rmyc
07-21-2003, 05:45 PM
umm... ok Azimov

it's hard to belive your bits can be controlled accross a football feild... well if soo maybe you can try making a solar bit plane.. or a solar blimp with that range

Azimov
07-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by rmyc
umm... ok Azimov

it's hard to belive your bits can be controlled accross a football feild... well if soo maybe you can try making a solar bit plane.. or a solar blimp with that range
Maybe so, but it is true non the less. And, I don't own Bits, just Zips. Do a search on my posts and you'll see how it is done. Or, you can just go on nonbelieving.

BrokenMonkey
07-30-2003, 04:38 PM
wow, that is really nice. is the body styled for any reason other than to just look cool? its a great body and it makes it look like one of those real life solar race cars. how fast does it go in scale mph?

Azimov
07-30-2003, 06:18 PM
is the body styled for any reason other than to just look cool?
The body was made to fit the solar array and the Zip chassis. I did use existing solar cars as a guide though.
how fast does it go in scale mph?
No idea. I never had any interest in that sort of thing. I would compare it to a dual celled Zip.

Lord_Nick_D
08-03-2003, 03:18 PM
does it work off of indoor lights aswell

Azimov
08-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Nick_D
does it work off of indoor lights aswell
No, indoor lights don't provide enough light. It will run off of 500 watt halogen work lights though. But you can only drive inside of the light pool. Full sun is the way to go. In a nice smooth parking lot or concrete driveway, the thing runs forever.

Lord_Nick_D
08-03-2003, 05:44 PM
I wonder if you changes the wheels if it would run outdoor better and add a bit of speed

do zips run better outside then bits

Azimov
08-03-2003, 06:02 PM
I wonder if you changes the wheels if it would run outdoor better and add a bit of speed
You mean offroad? Not really, these micros are just to small to run on anything but smooth to semi smooth surfaces. I'm doing a larger scale offroad car next for this very reason.
do zips run better outside then bits
Neither one. same answer as above.

2fast2furious59
08-03-2003, 06:06 PM
hey do u mind showing us any pics of teh guts on these solar powered zips...this is an interestign topic and if i had the funds i would do it...but i'll have to wait till end of october when i get my job

Azimov
08-03-2003, 06:13 PM
I've pretty much shown all there is to see in the three threads on the cars. There really isn't any serious modifications in the chassis except for removing the stock battery and putting a super cap in there.

charliebrown
08-11-2003, 11:21 AM
A nice project!!! VERY NICE!!! And imagine the voltage......WOW......NOW all you gotta do is put KIT gears on the car along with a 4.2 motor and NOW you are speeding!!! :eek:

sawhit4
11-30-2003, 10:54 PM
i have a question about solar cells. if you hooked one up to the battery terminals and didnt put a cap in it would it still work? also if you hooked a solar cell to the recharging tabs, would it recharge the battery if you left it in the sun?

Azimov
12-02-2003, 12:22 PM
if you hooked one up to the battery terminals and didnt put a cap in it would it still work? also if you hooked a solar cell to the recharging tabs, would it recharge the battery if you left it in the sun?
Yes, and yes. The solar cell output would need to match the battery however. That is, it would need to output 1.5VDC @ 50mA. This would mean that a 1 hour charge would be needed to fully charge the battery. 1.5VDC @ 200mA output would mean 15minutes in full noon day sun. Of course, you can keep pushing these numbers until the battery is no longer needed and the car runs off the solar array alone. Adding a buffer cap in this instance is required to enable driving out of shady spots. At these higher levels, the battery needs to be removed from the car as it would quickly overcharge. This isn't a problem with caps as long as the voltage limits are not exceeded.

cheesehead
01-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I have found some better cells for this stuff. Edmund Scietifics sells some REALLY small cells (2x4 cm.) that chug out .5V@250ma (http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp?pn=3081619), so you could use 3 to make a long-running car, or 4 or even 5 to make a solar-powered rocket.. Alternately, you could use the even more amazing 2x6 cm. cells that chug out 500ma@.5 volts (http://scientificsonline.comproduct.asp?pn=3037344). The .5volt cells should work well, as they are only 6.00 ea. and 4 would work nicely with a low end motor and gearing setup.
EDIT:
The best deal is the Electronics Goldmine's "B" solar cells. At a lowly 2.50 each, they're dirt cheap, and 5 should work nicely on a ZZ.
I would use something cheaper, though, as I can't afford to blow 20$ on one of these things...so maybe one of those 8.00 cheapies would serve my nefarious purposes better.
So, here's the proposed budget for my solar car:
5 "B" cells-12.50
1 farad supercapacitor-3.50
(http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=140910&item=CBC-12&type=store)
Cheap bit clone-8.00
TOTAL: 24.00!

Azimov
01-20-2004, 01:06 AM
Nice find! I'll have to check those cells out.

Draconious
01-20-2004, 01:20 AM
http://www.siliconsolar.com